TNG Reboot or Original Cast Comeback? What would you perfer?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by darkshadow0001, May 29, 2013.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Only in the countdown to the 2009 movie comics...in the novels
    Data was resurrected in the android body of Noonien Soong. When Soong died in the TNG episode Brothers (and then revealed in the novels) he transfered his consciousness into an android body. In the Cold Equations novels Soong gave his body up to resurrect Data.

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Well yeah. There hasn't been anything new since Nemesis, but it's implied at the end of the movie, anyway.

3. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Still diverging from main topic for just a moment, I must say that the recent trilogy from David Mack that brings Data back to us is great, from start to finish.

4. SSOASS

SSOASS Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would vote for neither (at least now, in 20 years .. then yeah, a reboot might be cool). For now, I would like a new series and it would be nice to see a TNG cameo in it if it makes sense .. but that it about it.

5. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Need to do something original. I hate the idea of another rehash.

A series that takes place in the deep future is interesting.

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

The technology was already bordering on magical as they closed out the 24th century. There was really no issue the tech couldn't solve and it was becoming an issue.

They really didn't have a choice but to go back to basics. The audiences simply weren't connecting with the people or technology of Trek anymore.

7. Belz...

I agree. One of my big gripes about ENT was that they had the opportunity to do something real primitive, and they managed to keep the transporter, phasers, etc. The show felt a bit too much 24th century to me.

8. johnjm22

johnjm22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The overly advanced technology would certainly be a problem, but there's a creative solution to everything. And really, where else can Trek go? Rehashes and variations on old ideas don't seem appealing at all.

9. BillJ

Whether its Kirk and Spock or Van Dyke and Rangar, it's all just rehashes and variations of the core concepts.

10. CDR6

CDR6 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

What is it the Greeks said, some about there being only eight plots in all of drama.

However, I offer up a change for Star Trek, a TV series based on Vangard. It would check of a lot of boxes...TOS, some times gritty, adventure, the unknown, good character relationships, con men, gangsters, starship combat, derring do, Klingons, Vulcans, politics and so on, and so forth.

For your consideration,
    Chuck

11. KGator

KGator Commander Red Shirt

I would watch a TNG reboot. I think any new series will not have the advantage of such a large initial audience (nostalgia). However, reboot or brand new, I don't think we see Star Trek until Television finishes its migration to online episodes (on Demand TV rather than scheduled programming). At that time the neilson ratings will lose their importance and shows will be more accurately valued.

That day is coming . . . but . . . its may be a decade before we enter this brave new world of television episodes.

12. Belz...

I don't think it's going to happen, ever, because the people who would care are too few.

13. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Viewers matter. Whether you measure the viewers by sampling(Nielson) or counting(On Demand), the viewership number drives revenue. CSI will continue to have more viewers than a Star Trek show and will therefore have more revenue potential.

14. YJAGG

YJAGG Captain Captain

something, new, maybe another spin off with a gues shot for a vet like Riker, or and this jsut came to me guy in Lower decks he must be like 45 now should be a captain - or anthoigy series a differnet ship each week

15. Tracer Bullet

Tracer Bullet Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I disagree. TNG was a top-10 hit in its heyday, beating network television shows. The characters aren't as iconic but people generally know some of them at least.

I don't want to see another TNG movie for two reasons: they're too old, and 3 of the 4 TNG movies were unmitigated crap, and the only good one wasn't even half as good as the best TOS movies.

16. Tracer Bullet

I don't see why not. Aside from Pine none of them are in high demand (and Pine is arguable.)

17. BillJ

Saldana, Urban and Pegg all seem to be getting regular work. Cho is working on the pilot for Sleepy Hollow for Fox. Yelchin has either completed or is cast in five upcoming films. Same for Pine. Quinto has two films in pre-production.

I think it would be highly unlikely (not to mention expensive) to get the movie cast to work on a weekly TV-series.

18. Chensams

Chensams Vice Admiral Admiral

No to both. TNG was perfect as it was and the actors are too old for the roles now, especially Data. I want something new but in the TOS/TNG/DS9 continuity, not nuTrek.

19. Tracer Bullet

Yeah, but I guess what I'm getting at is that none of them are big stars, nor are any of them likely to be.

And pre-production is meaningless.

20. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'd be fine with either an Original Series or Next Generation reboot in the original continuity, with more of the original series mood - have fun exploring, and be human while doing it, not bland. Show Captain April and Captain Pike, show a few more aliens in the crew, show more of the crew doing things aside from the senior staff doing everything (TNG seemed to overly rely on only 7 people most of the time). If it were TNG, avoid the jumpsuits, go with something else. If it were TOS, just update the ship aesthetic (not-so-cavernous hallways, touchscreens, and bridge monitors that don't look like pictures, more controls on helm/nav, avoid the gel buttons without labels).