After Destiny, then what?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Rush Limborg, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Are there any Post-Nemises TNG Novels on the agenda after Destiny? Or will TNG, DS9, and VGR be all united or something?

KRAD? Chris? Mack? Any thoughts?

2. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

This was all announced last month, actually.

In February, A Singular Destiny by self will deal with the ramifications of the Destiny trilogy on the wider galactic stage. After that, we'll get new Titan, Voyager, and TNG novels that pick up from Destiny: respectively, Over a Torrent Sea by Christopher L. Bennett (March), Full Circle by Kirsten Beyer (April), and Losing the Peace by William Leisner (July).

3. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

The TNG followup will be Losing the Peace by William Leisner, which is currently scheduled for release in July 2009.

4. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Losing the Peace... quick let the rabid speculation begin!

5. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I heard the title everyone is dead due to mack the slayer was rejected as giving too many clues away?

6. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

Based on what's been revealed about it so far, it'll probably suck.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Nope, not even chronologically. The DS9 novels are still set in 2377 (next year we get a Fearful Symmetry sequel tentatively titled The Soul Key and a Cardassia-centric novel called, IIRC, The Neverending Sacrifice). As for TNG, VGR, and TTN, they all have post-Destiny followups, but they won't be synchronized in time, or even in chronological order by publication date. Both Full Circle and Losing the Peace take place before Over a Torrent Sea (as does A Singular Destiny), but they're all telling independent stories so the order doesn't matter that much.

Well, what strikes me is that it's evidently an allusion to Sisko's line from "A Call to Arms": "One thing is certain: we're losing the peace. Which means a war could be our only hope." Which is pretty ominous. Although Googling also reveals the phrase being used a lot in discussions about the situation in Iraq -- the gist of the references seeming to be that even though the war is technically over, the postwar situation is deteriorating. I think that's different from Sisko's us of the phrase.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

^Huh, I'd figured that came from a poem or Shakespear or something, since that's where alot of the titles have been coming from lately.

9. Rush Limborg

Don't worry, Mr. Leisner. I'm sure it'll do great. You've got my support.:techman:

10. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Aren't we overdue for a massive space-thingee that threatens the very fabric of the entire galaxy/universe/whatever, and requires the crews from all eras to fight it, on their own at first but ultimately coming together in one all-out massive final confrontation?

Ah, those were the good old days.

11. Rush Limborg

(Nostalgic grin) Ah, yes... the days of Brave and the Bold, Double Helix, Badlands, and of course...INVASION!!!

I have this idea... could work....

(Jots down in notebook furiously.)

12. William Leisner

William Leisner Scribbler Rear Admiral

The phrase "win the war but lose the peace" (and variations thereof) actually dates back at least to the '40's, in reference to what happened in the aftermath of WWI, and how those lessons could be applied at the end of WWII. To be honest, I was unaware of the Sisko quote -- now I need to rewatch "A Call to Arms" to check out the full context.

13. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Eh I'll buy it anyway. I made it through Before Dishonor after all - you can't get much worse than that.

14. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Dude, I'm reading Triangle right now and I just finished The Prometheius Design. People who are complaining about Before Dishonor don't know how good they have it. ;)

15. Rush Limborg

Tell me about it.:rolleyes:

The only reasons I bought Prometheus Design was: 1), It was in a used bookstore, and I was able to pick it up for dirt cheap; and 2), I heard in... Memory Beta, I belive... that it was one of the few books that had Janice Rand.

Of course, she's a background character, barely noticed. It wasn't really worth it. At least I got it for just beans....

16. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ship of the Line by Diane Carey is worse. I managed to read all of Before Dishonor but couldn't wade through that treacle.

Anyways, after Destiny, we see who's left alive and what state the Federation, her allies and enemies are in.