The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

That doesn't really explain why the teaser disk EAF works for them, and all the episodes following EAF on the full set also work. Something is askew.

2. Glassneedles

Glassneedles Ensign Newbie

I changed my receiver to just decode the dts before I checked. On my UK set dialogue is coming out the centre and front right channel. Does not happen with my UK sampler

Using a Sony S380 and STRDH820 with 5.1 speakers.

3. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Yeah, there's clearly a difference between the pilot on the Next Level disc (which has a properly isolated center channel) and the pilot on the S1 set. "The Naked Now" and "Code of Honor" (which are on disc 1 with the pilot) sound correct -- so it can't be my blu-ray player or amp.

And just to clarify, I'm sending the audio PCM direct to the receiver over HDMI. All 7.1 channels are lit up on the display.

4. Maxwell Everett

Also, I forgot to mention that I forwarded this info to someone who worked on the Blu-ray authoring of the Next Level disc and he confirmed that his company did not work on the S1 set and that CBS decided to do it in-house. So, CBS had to re-encode the audio and video again for EAF since his company didn't give them the final encoded assets used on the sampler.

He said he is in contact with the people making the discs and that if he verifies the problem with his set, he'll complain to the appropriate people.

5. Scotty

Scotty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Extremely disappointed to hear about the audio error on eAF. I don't get that none of the major review sites caught this. My copy was just send, too late to cancel.

6. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

Believe me, I am a home cinema enthusiast of many, many years. My system is set up to exacting standards - I can assure you the DTS HD Master Audio on the disc I have IS encoded incorrectly on EAF.

7. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's disappointing that this problem wasn't picked up as its pretty obvious when you listen to the episode. It's like it wasn't checked by anyone, I'm surprised none of the reviewers noticed it either.

I seem to have a lip synch problem on the documentary on Disk 1 too.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2012
  8. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

This audio thing is concerning but I'm not quite clear on the whole left/right/center audio people are talking about. Are these secondary speakers (Which I don't have) or is this something I should look out for when I get the set tomorrow.

9. Glassneedles

Glassneedles Ensign Newbie

We are talking about a surround sound set up with 2 front a centre and 2 rear speakers. If you are using your tv speakers then you should be fine as it downmixes the 7.1 to 2 channel.

10. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

In regards to the season two VFX being completed by a different company, I did notice in the trailer that the Enterprise looked markedly different, with it lacking the 'oomph' that season 1 had, also the planets in the before and after shot looked almost identical. I was hoping that the style done in season 1 would be carried over, however it appears that it may not be the case.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Digital Bits has a review of the set, and nowhere is this "audio error" mentioned...

12. Warped Trekker

Warped Trekker Ensign Newbie

Movie is starting. 4k satellite feed here at Tinseltown. Not the advertising projector.

13. Maxwell Everett

That seems unlikely -- not that I think you're lying or anything... but the show was only mastered in 2K. Why would they use a 4K satellite feed?

Can you take a picture of the projection booth window behind you after the first episode is over? I'm curious where the light is coming from (primary projector or secondary projector).

14. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

It may be that they didn't check the pilot very carefully, having already reviewed it when the sampler came out.

15. Falcor5

Falcor5 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me too. Really puts a damper on my excitement level. I never purchased the sampler disc so was very excited to watch EAF tomorrow night when my set arrives. I dont get how a huge audio error like this could slip past the testers. And on the very first episode too. :( Hope the rest are ok.

16. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Are you talking about the stock shots that ILM created for the pilot, or the new shots that were done at the Post Group. Because I would expect some differences as the amount of production time the pilot effects had is much larger then the time a normal episode would get. So I would naturally expect some change in level of quality. Not to mention as the production team expanded their supervisors, each of them provided a different style to each of there episodes, and a Legato done episode in season two is going to look different then even his own episodes in season 1 (they talk about how they run themselves into the ground in season one), let alone the difference between Legato and Curry.

17. Warped Trekker

Warped Trekker Ensign Newbie

Well the movie is over and it was definitely NOT 4k. Maybe 2K. Plus there was some "technical difficulties" at my theater. They were getting the movie using satellite to a DVR, and half way through it, it said it lost signal and some parts of one of the interviews were skipped and wouldnt play. Worse yet, all of the sudden the projectionist started rewinding the damn thing to see what was missed. Some young teenage girl then opened the projectionist window and asked us if there was any more that wasmissed. People told her to just hit play. One other thing, is theblack level didnt look set correctly. The two episodes looked very washed out, especially compared to the featured HD specials that they also played in between the episodes. Hopefully the black level will be correct on the blu-ray.

18. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Hmm possibly, but im moreso referring to some of the screenshots that have been released thus far. For example, the shot of the Enterprise approaching Minos in "Arsenal of Freedom" is terrific, and shows a great improvement in not only the Enterprise and the planet itself. Compare that to the shot of the Enterprise in orbit of a planet in the season 2 trailer and the difference is staggering, well to me at least anyway.

19. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

You're really gonna let this relatively minor screw up in the grand scheme of things deter you from buying the season?

20. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Especially since you can still just buy that three-episode sampler disc and get a Farpoint with correct audio.

I mean sure, it's an error, and I hope they'll put a replacement program in place. But if you were looking forward to starting a season 1 rewatch with lovely DTS 7.1 sound this week, it's still possible!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.