Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old August 23 2014, 08:32 AM   #136
BeatleJWOL
Commander

Send a message via AIM to BeatleJWOL Send a message via Yahoo to BeatleJWOL
Re: PACIFIC 201 - A Star Trek Film

NEAT.

I'm interested.
BeatleJWOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23 2014, 09:37 PM   #137
King Daniel Into Darkness
Admiral

I really like the way this isn't obsessing over canon and minutiae. Seeing the Trek 'verse through a new set of eyes is never a bad thing.
Old August 24 2014, 03:43 AM   #138
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
I really like the way this isn't obsessing over canon and minutiae. Seeing the Trek 'verse through a new set of eyes is never a bad thing.
Thanks! I'm glad you appreciate it.
I really am taking an "everything is new" approach to some things, and it's a little risky with some trekkies.
My biggest complaint with modern Trek is that it's so concerned with serving and referencing its own world that it rarely forges ahead to new ground and "strange new worlds". So in a lot of ways, I'm trying to bring back that TOS feel in the sense that everything is exciting and new and uncharted.

And of course, I do care about canon, but I'm approaching canon as a "depiction" rather than "historical fact". Historical movies don't always get every detail spot-on, and that's how I think the Star Trek series and movies are best interpreted. Some things are indisputable, but the minutiae of canon are debatable.
aalenfae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 25 2014, 03:04 PM   #139
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

aalenfae wrote: View Post
King Daniel Into Darkness wrote: View Post
Thanks! I'm glad you appreciate it.
I really am taking an "everything is new" approach to some things, and it's a little risky with some trekkies.
My biggest complaint with modern Trek is that it's so concerned with serving and referencing its own world that it rarely forges ahead to new ground and "strange new worlds". So in a lot of ways, I'm trying to bring back that TOS feel in the sense that everything is exciting and new and uncharted.

And of course, I do care about canon, but I'm approaching canon as a "depiction" rather than "historical fact". Historical movies don't always get every detail spot-on, and that's how I think the Star Trek series and movies are best interpreted. Some things are indisputable, but the minutiae of canon are debatable.
Trek contradicted itself all the time, there are many you tube videos that point out every contradiction.

Make your own magic I am sure no matter what you will piss off someone, hell go look at the Axanar thread
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27 2014, 10:01 PM   #140
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

Alright, time for a fun release - here's a first look at the Pacific 201 phaser!

A big push in the design for this film is "realism", and naturally, as phasers have traditionally looked like plastic toys, I wanted my phasers to look like REAL weapons while still honoring the typical "phaser" look.
Old August 27 2014, 10:06 PM   #141
Tom Hendricks
Commodore

View Tom Hendricks's Twitter Profile

Can you remove the trigger guard? To me, doing that would make it look more Star Trek and more like a phaser. With the trigger guard it looks to much like a modified pistol.

Of course I'm a creationist. I believe man created god.
Tom Hendricks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28 2014, 01:24 PM   #142
YJAGG
Lieutenant Commander

I like the trigger guard but it looks too thin to me and I feel it should have some kind of emitter with a THE CAGE feel to it
YJAGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 01:26 AM   #143
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

The trigger guard will stay. Chiefly because the weaponry in Pacific 201 will be decidedly more military-like, and the choice to make the phaser inspired by modern-day handguns is based on that. Starting in 2156, Earth's entire space program was based on churning out battleships to fight the Romulans, and now (year 2200), after a period of relative stagnation and paranoia, they're only just returning to their original mission. In that light, their gear is still going to be more "military" in nature.

All that being said, we did try to add a tiny nod to Phase pistols and Cage phasers at the same time with a wider chamber near the emitter. Not as bulbous as a phase pistol, and not as cylindrical as a Cage phaser, but it's meant to reflect that technology.
Old Yesterday, 04:28 AM   #144
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Frankly, it looks like a generic gun with a crest. It makes me think of a barcode scanner.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:30 AM   #145
aalenfae
Lieutenant Commander

Maurice wrote: View Post
Frankly, it looks like a generic gun with a crest. It makes me think of a barcode scanner.
It's probably because the overall shape is quite directly inspired by a Walther P99. It's been James Bond's gun for a while, and I've always liked its look.

Funny that you should mention barcode scanners! I actually thought to make the rugged, looks-like-a-weapon phaser when I was using a barcode scanner like this one at a warehouse. It had almost perfect proportions for a phaser, and it was hefty - like you could throw it around. It looked far more like a weapon than the props from the show, and it pushed me in the "what if I took a handgun and gave it a phaser's proportions?" direction.

So the modern handgun look is very intentional.
Old Yesterday, 06:31 AM   #146
wtriker1701
Lieutenant

Maurice wrote: View Post
As does a Cylon visor for me! ;-)

No, I actually like the design. And "in use" might actually change perception of it. Also in context with the set decorations...

I wouldn't want to be a barcode standing in front of it. ;-)
wtriker1701 is offline   Reply With Quote