How rare are boxed Star Trek - The Motion Picture toys?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Savoy 1984, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Savoy 1984

Savoy 1984 Ensign Red Shirt

Just wondering how rare are toys from Star Trek - The Motion Picture, especially figures, and if you wanted one still in a box do they go for crazy prices. thanks in advance.

2. Haytil

Haytil Captain Captain

I find Ebay prices can be a decent approximation of how much you can expect to pay for something.

If you check Ebay right now, you'll see large doll-like figures going for about 10 dollars apiece. The smaller, normal-sized action figures are cheaper. Some are selling for 5 bucks apiece, some aren't selling at all.

Remember to check the price people are bidding on them for, not the asking prices. If something's not selling, then either it's priced too high or there's no demand at all (and is worth about 0).

3. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The biggest problem with the 12" TMP Megos - they were made from a different material to other action figures of the time. The knee and elbow joints are prone to turning very brittle (and they just fall off!) and the male faces often turn very greyish with exposure to air. The Ilia is a different plastic (ie. a Mego Farrah Fawcett body) but is packed in a box with a dark purple cardboard lining, so mine (bought in about 1987) had a huge purple stain on the top of her bald head - although the stain faded completely after being in open air for about three years.

There is a method for bleaching the male faces safely, but they must be unboxed to so so. So it's very much a case of "What's their condition" and "How much am I willing to pay?"

The 12" Decker is quite hard to come by, and I've never had the chance at a good price. The Arcturian and Klingon are very cool figures, and any encroaching greyness doesn't make them look wrong. The grey-faced Kirk and Spock look... weird!