Should Chakotay have been more of a "bad ass"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Infern0, Jun 18, 2013.

1. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One of the rare episodes they remembered the Maquis exist. Yet even a grand episode such as that was undermined by the fact the main antagonist was Neelix's cooking. :p

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

I work at a childrens game company and we had this bear character that does this thing where he goes GRRRIZZZLY PUNCH!!! And it always reminds me of that Chakotay video haha.

3. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Remember what Harry Kim once said: "There's an ancient Chinese curse-may you live in interesting times. Meal times are always interesting now that Neelix is in charge of the kitchen."

Not to mention the classic comment from this episode: "Get the cheese to sickbay!" :)

4. Garppo

Garppo Cadet Newbie

I just watched the episode in which Chakotay is brainwashed into becoming a soldier for an alien group. I can't remember the name but it's in Season 4. Anyway, he tells the other soldiers there about his attitude to killing and fighting (i.e how people where he is from think about the enemy, killing is last resort etc.) which seems totally at odds with how a terrorist/freedom-fighter group would think. The Maquis were named after the group of French Resistence fighters in WWII and you can be sure none of them would have Chakotay's attitude to killing.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

He is seriously screwed up about all this. Now if he was just baking cakes for colonists hiding in caves he might be able to say he supports the people but not the violence but this wasn't the case at all.

6. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, he's totally screwed up. Even the Doctor said he wouldn't know his mother from a turnip.

At the same time, if this is reflecting the "real" Chakotay, then it goes to show that he was actually a peace-loving man whose life's circumstances made him into a formidable fighter.

7. Captain Kathryn

The episode is "Nemesis". I thought it was one of the better Chakotay episodes.

Also the Maquis COULD be considered a lighter equivalent to the Bajoran Resistance fighters who killed many Cardassians as well (however, the Bajorans were somewhat way more justified). If someone tried to take over my state or country, hell yea I would be pissed too. But, of course, killing is the last resort. Especially if you are a "peaceful" person.

Also liked him in "Unity" where he has mental orgy with a group of ex-borgs. :D

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  8. Captain Kathryn

:lol:

At least he showed emotion! Which is more than he did in a lot of episodes. hahahhaa.
    I agree with you though. Don't preach what you can't practice!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  9. Lt. Aran

Lt. Aran Ensign Newbie

On my boat; Cardassia,the Queen of the Ocean
    Maybe the writers made Chakotay relatively timid in comparison to Janeway because they didn't want to deal with so many captain/first officer conflicts.

10. R. Star

Then why did they bother dividing the crew between Starfleet/Maquis at all then? If you're going to include a plot device in your premise, use it. One of Voyager's best and most powerful moments was the conflict between Janeway and Chakotay in Scorpion.

11. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The secret to their relationship in the later seasons, we learn in Shattered, is that Chakotay has hidden the good bottles of wine all over the ship and Janeway doesn't want to drink the replicated crap the peasants put up with.

12. Data's Cat

Data's Cat Lieutenant Red Shirt

Agree.

There should have been more tension between the two.

13. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

The writers kept that relationship in their back pocket, so they could pull it out anytime they needed it for sweeps week. For a guy with a tattoo covering half his face, Chakotay was one of the wimpiest skin illustrated men on the screen.

14. Guy Gardener

It's possible that Janeway is easy breezie compared to the assholes back in the AQ running the Federation who would have kept the Maquis in cells or Stasis for the entire trip back home.

No matter what she's done, compared to who we could have got in that chair, Kathryn Janeway might relatively be a creampuff.

Was there any problems in Alaska when America bought Alaska off Russia for 2 cents an acre?

Russians refusing to naturalize into Ameican citizenship, or vacate their homesteads?

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Q's facial art is bigger.;)

16. Melakon

Not big enough.

17. R. Star

So that's why Chakotay and Janeway never got together. ;)

18. Melakon

Remember that Seven told Chakotay he lacked "harmony, cohesion... greatness."

19. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yet, Seven still dated him. She must have low standards.;)

20. Guy Gardener

No one else asked.

You have to figure that by year four that everyone who was marriage material was paired off already.

So by the time Anika showed up, all that was left was the unfrakkables, and widow/ers.