Dreams Relating to Science Fact, Fantasy or Fiction?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by dswynne1, Jul 20, 2014.

1. dswynne1

dswynne1 Captain Captain

I don't know if this is the right place for it, but I wanted to express myself before I forget.

Basically, I had an interesting dream last night (7/20). It starts with me working at a place where old vehicles, parts, equipment, etc. (relating the the aerospace industry in general, and NASA in particular) end up. I assume that it was a junkyard or graveyard of some kind, located near Texas, Alabama or Florida (where NASA have facilities in). The place was actually an island, owned by a guy who looked like Malcolm McDowell, circa 1990s. He even talked like him. Anyway, I worked for the guy keeping the place "neat", when two women showed up. One was a middle-age housewife, while another was a young teacher (both brunettes). The housewife wanted to sell space junk to us, while the young teacher was either a friend or a relative. I then heard one of the women lamenting about how NASA was as good as it used to be, and, being a closet sci-fi "nerd" wished that it had been possible for space to have been truly realized, as envisioned by the movie "2001". I agreed, and desired to one day go into space as a tourist, once space tourism had gotten under way, and was cheap to go. My boss smiled and asked all of us if it was indeed possible to go into space at that moment, would we all go. We said yes, but we were humoring the man.

The man laughed, and said that he'd give us twenty bucks to put on a flight suit, and ride around a capsule on a rail car around the junkyard. Seeing no harm, we all agreed. Moments later, we all were in flight suits, and we got into some kind of cockpit that had a rolling cage in the capsule. Once we all were strapped in, the man who looked like Malcolm McDowell got in cockpit. He muttered something about NASA thinking that he was "mad" for doubting his genius, and then turned towards me. He told me to pull a big red lever by my seat, as I sat in the co-pilot's chair. I shrugged, and did as I was told. After all, he was my boss, and I rarely did any fun at work.

That's when something weird happened, as the rolling cage began to move and shift down rails. The rails were actually connected to railroad tracks from the outside, which were used to help carry stuff by rails for deposit into the yard. However, there were more rails within the yard, which I thought weren't a big deal. However, as the the rolling cage moved down the tracks, other parts of the yard revved up to life, as assembling robots and cranes began to move and shift the junk about. And as the rolling cage moved, an entire space orbiter was being assembled around rolling cage. In fact, the cage itself shifted and rotated as needed, in order to allow the orbiter to be assembled around the cockpit. It was then that I realized that what I had thought was junk was really a disassembled space shuttle, modified a bit for easy assembling and disassembling. Once the shuttle was assembled, a fueled tank was implanted in the shuttle, before being rolled into a part of the yard I never been.

Once there, a cable system was operation, where the cable connects with hooks similar to when a jet is hooked to a sling to be launched off of an aircraft carrier. The engines of the orbiter roars to life, but remains still until the output of the force was at sufficient strength to allow for a successful catapult launch. And as the shuttle goes up into the skies, I spy upon a mothballed aircraft carrier that was aground. Before the dream ended, I asked the boss where he got the aircraft carrier. He said don't ask. And that was that.

Okay, after I woke up, I actually Googled if there was an assembling space shuttle. Silly, but the dream was that vivid. I also realized that my mind was using the remake of "Fantasy Island" starring Malcolm McDowell, the Call of Duty: Black Ops Ascension DLC, movies the Right Stuff and Space Cowboys, and Cowboy Bebop ("Wild Horses" episode) for the basis of the dream. Man, I guess I really do appreciate air and space stuff...

Sorry for taking too much of your time, but I needed to get this out of my system, before I forget. Thanks.

2. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's a sex dream. It's always a sex dream. Even if there's no sex in it, it's a metaphorical sex dream.

3. Amaris

Amaris Guest

I'm always having sex dreams.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Definitely a sex dream. It means you want to make it with Malcolm McDowell.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a sex dream.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Maybe not science fiction per se, but I often dream about being in buildings with elevator/shuttle cars that travel both vertically and horizontally, like Star Trek's turbolifts.

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The other night I dreamed I was hanging out with aliens, they were all short with lots of hair. They were called the Menk (yeah I think there is a VOY race called that). In honour of their culture I baked a whole bunch of tarts for them, Menk tarts which looked like Portugese tarts only the custard was almost clear and they had pieces of carrot in them. As I ate one I was thinking that the carrot addition really did suck.

8. Gryffindorian

Gryffindorian Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a scary dream last night (or this morning) about aliens. They looked like something from Ben 10 - a head with no visible eyes, fangs, a small body, large hands with claws. They ran incredibly fast and could phaseshift. One of the hostile aliens was chasing after a small group of humans and other aliens and was killing them one by one. The ones fleeing from this "predator" alien went into a building and blew it up in the hopes of destroying their pursuer. Miraculously, one wall withstood the massive explosion, and the survivors hid behind it, only to continue to be hunted down by the hostile predator.

9. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    I once dreamed an entire crossover episode of Doctor Who (Fourth Doctor Tom Baker) and The Crow: Stairway to Heaven. This may seem like an odd combination, but they are two of my favorite shows (and characters). I don't remember most of it, but there is enough there for a fanfic. :)

10. teacake

It is like a present when you dream one of your favorite shows.

11. Timewalker

Or a new volume in a favorite book series... until you wake up and realize the book doesn't exist! :(

But you're right about the shows. That's not the only Crow: Stairway to Heaven-themed dream I've had.

12. teacake

I still remember the Star Trek dream I had when I was 14 and had a high fever, I was on the bridge of the Enterprise and Kirk and Spock were discussing Something Important near me. It was very vivid and I was SO HAPPY when I woke up :lol:

13. Timewalker

But they might have been discussing your promotion to Navigator!

14. teacake

But I was only a kid!

oh my god, I could have been TOS wesley..

15. Melakon

The only high fever dream I remember was when I was about 8. Maybe it qualifies as a fantasy dream. Since I grew up in a religious family, there was a large picture of young boy Jesus at about 12 on the wall of my bedroom, and if you were laying in bed, it was directly in front of you.

One night, with the only light coming from the hallway, my eyes began playing tricks on me. Jesus was facing to the left, but when I blinked, he was facing right. When I blinked again, he was facing left. And that went on for several seconds and started freaking me out. I don't know if it was really a dream, or just hallucinating before falling asleep.

I had them move the picture out of the room after that.

16. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The first flight dream I recall was quite vivid. I was flying around holding a TOS type-2 phaser set to dematerialize. I wasn't shooting anybody, but I was ready, cuz you know flying, I suppose.

17. Melakon

I used to keep a TOS phaser 1 in the car for traffic jams, but the energy cell was depleted.

18. teacake

It's so convenient how you can just disappear shit.

19. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Not always. I used to have toystore and book/blueprint dreams where I have all this swag--and it vanishes when I wake up.

Not everything fares so well--as per Space Station V

http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=91653&p=1300589&viewfull=1#post1300589

20. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

I had a couple nightmares in which unknown people were chasing me with some kind of futuristic weapons.

And then there was my dream about Jean-Luc Picard. Nothing nightmarish about that one. :alienblush: