Anybody Else Find The Kirk/Spock/Mccoy Scenes In TFF Fantastic?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by slappy, Aug 26, 2015.

1. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting. An earlier discussion raised the question of whether these men had families, in the usual sense of the word

I had always interpreted that final scene's quote as Kirk stating that he'd lost his biological brother, but that Spock had filled that void, had become a replacement brother to him.

In fact, I thought this dialogue was slighting McCoy: I'd have had Kirk say "I was lucky. I got him back. Twice."

2. Spock's Barber

Spock's Barber Commodore Commodore

I thought TFF was good, and the interplay between Kirk, Spock and McCoy was interesting. Too bad that the studio pulled the plug on the special effects budget for the concluding scenes though.

3. Shark

Shark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

On that score, I kind of wished they'd added the "Rockman" into the final film. I don't think it looked too bad when properly lit, and their triumph over "God" was a bit too easy and a bit un-Trek like. I think it would've been more cinematic to have Kirk face the Rock-monster(s) and have the God-entity attack the Enterprise.

One thing I find amusing is that Kirk is ordered to "Avoid conflict, if possible" and he does nothing but generate conflict with his attack upon Paradise city, thereby jeopardizing the safety of the Representatives.

4. Spock's Barber

Yes, anything would have helped the ending. I, too, was perplexed on how easily 'God' bit the dust. What a wimp.

BTW, are there any screen caps of the Rockmen' that you know of?:)

5. Shark

Yes, right here: http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=244

You can also see the all the "Rockman" footage on the "Collectors edition" DVD of Star Trek V.

And just for fun, "Hair metal band" Sybok:

[​IMG]

6. Spock's Barber

^Thanks, Shark. The producers spent all that money to build and film the Rockmen. I don't understand why they edited the footage out of the released movie. Bizarre.

7. Shark

You're welcome. Apparently, to them, it looked "awful". Also, it lacked flame-throwing capability, which would have erupted from the mouth. I am curious though how a regular Human is supposed to 'beat' a flame-throwing creature made entirely of rock. But it would have been fun and added to the Hell-like atmosphere they wanted.

8. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's just test footage, and was never in the movie.

9. Marsden

Marsden Commodore Commodore

Maybe he could have fashioned a crude cannon from things in the environment. If could use a lathe....

10. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. The line was written in a very clear way to say "A brother" meant he was referring to the one he recently lost--not that Spock was the only one / Sam never existed.

Agreed. Their biggest issue is that its a ST film not playing from the Bill Nye view of life, despite the fact that subjects of this kind were always a part of ST up to that time.

11. Spock's Barber

I may be mistaken, but I thought Shatner said in ST:Movie Memories that the studio made his editors cut the Rockman scenes in order to make the movie length closer to 2 hours.

12. DaddlerTheDalek

DaddlerTheDalek Captain Captain

I love it too. TFF is a entertaining, but legendary flawed movie. I really like the Kirk, Spock & McCoy scenes. They make me smile everytime.

13. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

See- maybe it's because I'm old and remember the time before there was a movie series, but I always assumed Kirk's comment referred to Sam.

14. Newspaper Taxi

Newspaper Taxi Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think Final Frontier could have been the ultimate Star Trek movie with some tweaking; it's a shame the film can't get a do-over. The main trio were at their best and the Search for God/ finding spiritual mental peace is the kind of thematic target Star Trek should strive for. But instead you get parts of brilliance and parts where Scotty hits his head and passes out.

15. martok2112

martok2112 Commodore Commodore

bolded: Which was one thing that the late James Doohan blasted Shatner about. As far as Doohan was concerned, it didn't matter if it was a new ship or not, engineering was Scotty's domain, and Scotty would never do something so stupid and clumsy as to bump his forehead into an overhead piece.

That aside, when I first saw ST V, I loved the hell out of it. When I saw parts of it again, from the back of a station wagon at a drive in while we were actually watching Tim Burton's Batman, I could see some of the visual flaws in the movie (without the wowed fan goggles on...back when I actually was a fan of anything). When I got it on VHS (as soon as I could get a used copy that had done its rental runs), the flaws became even more apparent.

But that still doesn't stop it from being an enjoyable movie. Yeah, while the humor may have been a bit forced (trying to cash in on the success of the humor that permeated the previous film), and while the vfx were subpar compared to other Trek films, the dramatic part of the story was some of the finest for Kirk, Spock, and McCoy. The scene in the rec deck, where Spock and McCoy relieve the pains of their past was beautifully done. Kirk's reaction....classic Kirk in the finest tradition. Even the scene where Spock explains Sybok's existence was wonderful.

It's not a movie I watch as often as others, but when I do watch it, I don't feel any pit in my stomach over it. :)

16. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Horrible horrible. Let us forget those scenes. Even the acting wasn't good.

17. eyeresist

To be fair, he was spectacularly drunk at the time. :p

18. NigellaDeanna20

NigellaDeanna20 Commander Red Shirt

Yes indeed. Completely agree. That's one of the better things about this movie. The Brig/Breakout scene is really good but Kirk and McCoy trying to get Spock to sing "Row Row Your Boat" around the campfire is just hillarious.

For me, this was the first Star Trek film i ever sat down and properly right from start to finish. Its not a bad movie although it does have a lot of problems in term of the plot and so forth but it IS watchable.

I absolutely agree about the Kirk/Spock/McCoy dynamic in this movie; it IS fantastic. :)

19. Spock's Barber

I remember that Harve Bennett discussed the story plot of ST V with Shatner long before production started. Bennett tried to convince Shatner that it was a lose/lose situation in searching for 'God', but our good captain could not be convinced that he was going where no filmmaker had gone before.

20. eyeresist

I don't think the search for 'god' was in itself a bad choice. After all, they met a number of phony deities in TOS.

There's also a parallel with TMP, where they went on a quest to meet a god-like entity. The difference is that V'ger was innocent, whereas TFF's false god was malevolent.

CRM-114 likes this.