Kira giving birth

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Levi, Mar 20, 2014.

1. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    Season 5 Episode 12

Kira gives birth to baby O'Brian. I get that Bajorian customs are for the women to be totally relaxed to help with the birthing process, but right as shes giving birth, that kid just slid right out of there! She was even smiling! And she didnt have any drugs? And did you see the size of that kid???

So, without drugs, just being totally relaxed, and she just let that kid come out without any fuss it looked like.
    Now Im no Doctor but I would think it would have caused a little more discomfort then it showed.
    Ladies, amirite?

I know that for filming and time restraints Im sure it couldnt have been totally accurate, but still, you think it would have been a bit more then how they portrayed it.

Or, if that really is how Bajorian women give birth... my hats off to them. Good work!

2. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw my son being born. I saw my wife's face full of pain, but ask her, she'll say it was a breeze. I accept her version of events.

3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

My guess is that the experience varies for Bajoran women the same as Human women.

4. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Bajorans are really big into spirituality, so they must enter some state of inner peace that lets them deal with their current situation. A natural high, perhaps.

5. Levi

Levi Commander Red Shirt

Starfleet Academy, San Francisco, Earth/Sol
    Good points. But they never mention anything like that except that Bajorian women just sneeze a lot when pregnant. unless I missed something.
    I guess I just figured if they were going to make something like giving birth so easy they would have mentioned directly "Bajorian women enter a state of tranquility and the actual birthing process is much eaiser then for human women." Or something along those lines.
    Just me I guess.

6. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Bajorian women have vaginas like subway tunnels.

:)

7. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though, you have to love alien biology for the weird and wonderful things it throws at us: Bajoran women feel no pain giving birth, Ocampa women have a birthing sack on their backs, Joined Trill women can carry a child to term even with a full Symbiont pouch, during the ten months of pregnancy Betazoid women can sense their child's emotions.

8. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

The reason human women feel pain giving birth is, that their birth canal didn't keep up with the rest of evolution.
    It is in effect too small for human babies getting out of there.

Bajoran anatomy is likely different with a better.... stretch capability, like a snake's jaw or Phlox' smiley face?

9. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

It's not a custom, it's actually part of the biological process for Bajorans. The endorphins start pumping, and the woman has to relax to a certain point. When they get there, the baby just slides on out.

10. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As do quite a lot of Earth women. :rommie:

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Yet another reason why I stay away from them :)

12. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. It's not that they feel no pain - it's that the body creates enough endorphins to counteract the pain. The problem Kira faced in those scenes was that there were so many endorphins in her system that it was reaching dangerous levels and she had to back off and let the endorphins reduce.

Frankly, it sounds like a better system than ours.

13. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, there are endorphines and various hormones involved in childbirth, which dull the pain and make women less conscious of the pain and less aware of various physical sensations. Moreover, they may alter the memory of childbirth so that it may seem less traumatic after the fact. People in the home birth movement believe that these might be enough the counter the pain in most cases, making medicinal pain relief necessary for only a few.

14. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

There a fairly easy exercise to fix that.:)

15. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

I've given birth twice with no drugs. Now, granted, I am not Bajoran, but I didn't scream and yell. It hurt like a son on a bitch, but being calm and being in the right frame of mind helped tremendously. And when it was over I felt great.

16. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

The authors of the "Bradley Method" series of books advocate a theory that a "perfect" human birth will in some ways be like a reverse orgasm for a woman, with the muscles of the vaginal wall constricting and pushing the baby out rather than constricting the penis and facilitating the ejaculation of sperm.

The theory is sound, and requires a good and peaceful state of mind to achieve but there are a few women who have given birth using this method that report a feeling of euphoria and almost no pain, just muscle exertion. My wife was unable to experience this feeling when giving birth but our son had an exceptionally large head and shoulders.

17. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought it was dumb how complicated they made the birth process for Bajorans. "Oh, you weren't shaking the maracas and tapping the bell just right for the past eight hours, maybe tomorrow."

Are we supposed to believe this silly ritual has to be done for every birth? How did they continue to have children during the Occupation, for instance? If it's that complicated for them to have kids, then maybe that's a hint from the universe that it's time for the Bajorans to go extinct.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Eh, it's just something to help her relax.