STAR TREK INTO DARKNESS - Grading & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Agent Richard07, Apr 18, 2013.

?

Grade the movie...

1. A+

18.8%
  2. A

20.6%
  3. A-

13.2%
  4. B+

11.1%
  5. B

7.9%
  6. B-

4.1%
  7. C+

5.7%
  8. C

5.0%
  9. C-

3.5%
  10. D+

1.5%
  11. D

1.6%
  12. D-

1.3%
  13. F

5.7%
  1. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I can't confirm about Section 31 and augment.

Of the the Eugenics wars? In Space Seed, it was mention had been fought in the 1990s. But in the same episode and later in ST'TWOK, Both Spock and later in Khan stated that it was fought 200 years ago of present date. With would put it being fought sometime in the 2060s-2080s.

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Like I said, if they give a specific year - like they did in TWOK - that takes precedence. Any time they say things like "200 years ago", that can be dismissed as a rounding-off.

Besides, TWOK isn't even consistent with its own self. The opening text says "In the 23rd century...", yet Khan later gives both the date of 1996 *and* mentions "200 years ago."

3. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

It is a clean restart. The Prime timeline of the Abrams canon is an original creation that bears a strong resemblance to the original canon. Spock Prime appearing in XI is like the 1979 Cylons appearing in NuBSG: it looks like the original but isn't.

Feel better?

4. Xaios

Xaios Commander Red Shirt

Can anyone comment on the new film's score? How does it stack up against some of the classic ST scores like TMP, TWOK and TUC?

5. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

BTW, fwiu, Cumberbatch's Khan doesn't die at the end of the film, which allows him to come back for the threequel.

That's how good he is. Casting Cumberbatch was inspired, imho.

6. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No it's not. Spock Prime is from the future of the original timeline. This is "fact." The timelines diverged when the Kelvin was destroyed. This is "fact."

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Okay, this thread went from 10 pages to 17 while I read every page, and even though it's alluded to in Therin's non-spoiler thread, the question hasn't been asked here.

What is Alice Eve "Omagawwwwwd!"-ing about? Does she see Kirk naked or something?

And maybe Cumberbatch isn't Khan the Sikh from India, but Kahn the Jewish guy from Chelsea.

8. Mr. Laser Beam

If Khanberbatch is on board the Vengeance when it crashes into Earth, then how could he survive that?

For that matter, how could Earth survive it?

9. section9

Right, that would mean that Khan is a fan of Chelsea in the Premiership.

Poor Khan...

10. section9

Damon Lindelof can write his way out of anything. He can pull a baboon out of Eleanor Roosevelt's ass if he has to.

11. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol:

While trailers obviously don't always present things in order, from what I saw in one I think Cumby is actually on the ground in SF watching the ship crash (the shot where he has a cut on his face and actually runs away from the scene). So, my bet is he's not on the ship (which is why Spock comes after him in SF).

The thing is: is Admiral Marcus aboard the crashing ship? What happens to him? Could he be the one Cumby is referring to when he says that every captain should go down with his ship?

12. WarpFactorZ

WarpFactorZ Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seatbelt? George Kirk wasn't wearing one, after all, otherwise things might have been different.

13. Flake

Flake Commodore Commodore

My understanding from the trailers is that Cumberbatch is on the bridge until the ship comes to a stop and he jumps out of the broken viewscreen/window onto the rubble and makes his escape. Either that or he finds an airlock but I would assume his ship will have lost power at this point.

14. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

According to The Doomsday Machine, blowing up a Constellation class ship has an explosive yield of 97 MT, about double the Tsar Bomba. It would destroy San Francisco, but not the world.

But we know Scotty's been aboard and engaging in sabotage, so maybe he ejected or otherwise neutralized the warp core.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

I assume that Khan actually kills Marcus after getting on board the Vengeance.

16. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

Could be that, too. I can imagine it from a couple of shots we've seen in trailers. I wonder if he yells, "Oh, shit!" as the ship goes down. (Why not? It would be just another inside reference?)

17. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, just because a ship crashes to Earth does not mean that it also has to explode.

18. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wasn't feeling bad - at least not about this. This is all academic to me because Abrams can't seem to tell a decent story, so without that most basic aspect in place, this is just a way for me to pass time commenting on something inconsequential so I can escape from worry about my father who is about to have open heart surgery.

However, your argument is flawed. This is not at all the same as nuBSG which gave a nod to the original series by having the first generation Cylons in its cleanly restarted story look like the Cylons from the original series. There was no attempt to use AU/time travel bs to connect the two stories. And for whatever problems I had with BSG as it went along - at least it bravely took its franchise somewhere more complex and more interesting than the original. Star Trek, sadly, seems headed in the opposite direction, becoming more shallow, more bland and more generic.

19. Mr. Laser Beam

The ship crashes into the harbor, doesn't it?

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

The first review is up at Rottentomatoes.com