"Beware the Batman" in 2013! New Animated Series

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

2. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Man, they just keep crapping these out don't they?

ETA: I just read the link. Gun-toting Alfred? Female Ninja sidekick? Whut? :lol:

3. Admiral_Young

Not surprising that they do. He's a popular character and the demand is there. I'm interested in seeing Katana (who of course has been a member of Batman's Outsiders team). This is also the first CGI Batman animated series so that is going to be another interesting aspect of the series, not to mention who they will cast to voice the character.

4. Broccoli

I'm just surprised they keep canceling one series, only to give rise to another (usually set between movies). B:TAS from the 90s had a long run that wasn't restarted every time there was a new movie.

Then again, different times, etc.

5. Admiral_Young

What's been cancelled (aside from The Batman?)?

6. Broccoli

Didn't Brave and the Bold get the axe?

7. Admiral_Young

^ Not as far as I know. It just started it's final season recently with it's regular Cartoon Network 65 episode allotment (I think, someone can correct me). Also a "gun totting" Alfred isn't too far fetched since he's been shown in the comics as using a rifle plenty of times. One of the most prominent times was during Knightfall (I can't recall any others). We know he has military service.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm thrilled that Katana is going to be a series regular, because it means more royalties for my friend Mike Barr, who created her.

But I'm not thrilled about it being CGI. That only really looks good when there's a lot of time and money thrown into it, so it tends to work better in features than television. And it would be a shame if Warner Bros. Television Animation moved away from the 2D animation they do so superbly.

If Murakami is running this, does that mean that Ben 10 Ultimate Alien (which has already lost its other showrunner, the late Dwayne McDuffie) will be ending? If so, I hope it gets a satisfactory finale.

Ooh, and did you notice this part?
    Batman and Gromit, perhaps? This could be awesome... :D

9. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I'd wish they'd realize there are other characters besides Batman to make a cartoon out of. Think of all the superheroes with plenty of great material to work with.

10. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Afraid so which really sucks because I loved BnB if only for the reason that it made Aquaman cool.:lol:

11. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

its funny cause the last episode of Batman Brave and the Bold joked that a dark, brooding CGI series would be next. though, it would star Batgirl.

12. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I loved the 90s Dini/Timm animated series and wasn't too fussed on The Batman. The Brave and the Bold is good for what it is and I can let my four year old watch it (and now I'm taking her to Batman Live on Saturday). I'm a bit iffy on the idea of a gun-toting Alfred and I don't know the female sidekick referred to. But I guess I'll give this a chance anyway.

13. USS Kongo

USS Kongo Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Was wondering if there would be another Batman animated series coming down the pike. And so the legend of the Bat continues on.

Sean

14. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I always envisioned Alfred had ammo in his Umbrella/Cane, anyways, so, a gun totin' Alfred isn't so shocking to me :devil:

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, not sure what to make of this yet. I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it.
    Sad to hear that BaB is ending though, because I've just started watching it over the last 2 or 3 months. Is this the same Katana who is one of the nuDCU Birds of Prey (well it probably won't be that version of the character, but you know what I mean)?

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Shame there's never been a Nolan-inspired Batman cartoon (softened a bit for the kiddies, obviously). Would have loved to have seen what an animated Tumbler would look like. :D

17. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm not a super hero fan, but I love Batman.

The new series sounds weird for sure. But we shall see. I haven't watched animated Batman shows besides Batman Beyond (my favorite) and The Batman, so I have high hopes.

Also they keep making new Batman shows they can keep making different Batman toys. it's the same thing with TMNT. After toy sales fall you make up a new show. TMNT Flash Forward, then going back to the Lost Tales and such.

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Umm... Batman: The Brave and the Bold is a series that teams Batman up with different DC superheroes every week. They've featured dozens of characters from the famous to the obscure -- even the likes of Kamandi, Detective Chimp, and Bwana Beast have had recurring roles. And Young Justice, which airs right after BB&B, features pretty much the entire DC Universe, with Batman in a supporting role.

They keep headlining cartoons with Batman because that's who the viewing audience wants to see -- because shows starring Batman have been perennially more successful than shows he wasn't in. But they're using that interest in Batman as a means to expose that audience to the whole panoply of DC characters. Which is an entirely sensible way of going about it.

Yes, apparently so.

There has been. The Batman: Gotham Knight direct-to-DVD feature was a series of anime shorts set in the Nolanverse between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight (although it had a couple of continuity discrepancies with TDK). And it wasn't softened for the kiddies; it was a pretty hard PG-13.

19. Admiral_Young

Yes Katana is the same character in Birds of Prey right now and as I mentioned in one of my previous posts is a former Outsider.

20. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

They might have had a few small nods to the Nolan movies, but they never struck me as being literally set in the Nolanverse.

Most of them were so arty and abstract it could have been ANY Batman.