It was the Engine Imbalance that created the wormhole in the first pl

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Tribble puncher, Mar 13, 2015.

1. cgervasi

cgervasi Commander Red Shirt

Re: It was the Engine Imbalance that created the wormhole in the first

I'm saying the way it was shot it was not obvious that the wormhole was not an unrelated anomaly of the week. (I know that wasn't yet cliche at the time.) It just seemed like the warp drive worked. Then they encounter the wormhole. No one tells the viewer that it's a known failure mode of warp drive.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Immediately after they get out of the wormhole, Scotty says, "Captain, it was the engine imbalance that created the wormhole in the first place. It'll happen again, if we don't correct it." So, yes, they do explain it to the viewer.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I know it's been forever, but I never saw this question before today.

I believe they work (with a caveat*), but I also believe they're pointless because the movie doesn't have any arc for Kirk, so the problems his rustiness present are quickly and conveniently forgotten. In fact, since everything on the Enterprise works A-Ok once Spock comes aboard, the whole "ship isn't ready" thing ultimately doesn't matter one iota.

*CAVEAT. While the wormhole scene does illustrate the danger of Kirk's unfamiliarity with the ship, the sequence as filmed is a disaster because it's just not exciting and sloooooow.

4. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

That helps me understand my uneasiness with the movie. All the characters learned something and grew, usually after shedding some part of their being (V'Ger, quite literally). Kirk, though, is much the same man at the end of the film as he was in the beginning. He bullies his way into regaining command, makes a number of poor decisions that lead to poor outcomes, yet everything works out in the end.

Quite a contrast with the Kirk we find in TWOK.

5. CorporalCaptain

One area where Kirk makes good decisions is in bluffing V'ger that they know why the Creator hasn't responded. That's classic Kirk, as in "The Corbomite Maneuver." That sort of strategy seemed to be beyond Decker. Sure, Decker saves the day in the end by joining with V'ger, but without Kirk bluffing their way to give the information directly to V'ger that couldn't have happened.

Kirk is also on the ball making good tactical decisions in the approach to the cloud. Decker might also have stopped Spock from returning scans, but at least Kirk doesn't fuck that part up.

Additionally, Kirk's order to approach the vessel to 500 meters might have precipitated the intrusion of the energy probe that digitized Ilia and resulted in the subsequent Ilia probe. Without the Ilia probe, communication with V'ger would have been impossible and Earth would have been destroyed. Decker seemed predisposed to play it cautious, but Kirk played it riskier "I'm not too scared to get in close to you" which might have provoked that critical response.

6. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

^"I haven't faced death. I've cheated death. I've tricked my way out of death and patted myself on the back for my ingenuity. I know nothing."

Kirk was more interesting to me in TWOK. In TMP he solved puzzles and saved the Earth, but as a character he was a flat line.

The bridge scene, though, that was classic.

7. CorporalCaptain

I agree completely that Kirk is much more interesting in TWOK.

And, yes, Kirk was basically a flat line in TMP. In TMP, Spock had a definite arc, Kirk not so much.

I was just simply pointing out that not every decision Kirk made in TMP was bad. It was downplayed, but without Kirk's decisions, they wouldn't have made it. That's just part of the mixed bag that TMP is.

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The issue with Kirk in TMP is that nothing in the story motivates the change in him. He comes in like a bull in a china shop, makes mistakes, then out of nowhere he's got his mojo back and Decker's calling him "Jim" they're being chummy.

9. Tribble puncher

Tribble puncher Captain Captain

Sounds like the Infinite Improbability Drive from "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" would have been funny if the Enterprise came out of the wormhole a pot of tulips.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh no, not again.... :lol:

11. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

An warp, you want space to wrap about your ship. tiny wormholes are not navigable.

One wonders how close they might have been to hyperspace of SW.

In Trek--you avoid wormholes--unless large, open and stable.

12. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

I'm by no means what so ever an expert on such things, but I would speculate:

A wormhole, since we know so little about them, could open anywhere. It could open in America (let's call that the Federation) and end up in China (another spot in the universe), or it could open in Whynot, Mississippi and end up in Intercourse, Pennsylvania.

They accidently created a wormhole and have no control over it, from creating, longevity, to stabilization. D.S.9. featured a stable wormhole.

13. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

It was the engine imbalance....but what CAUSED the imbalance?

The formula by the "rookie" under Scotty.

"I can't do much better." he says

I never understood this on viewing the movie the last couple of years.
    It's as if he could be a scapegoat....god-thing forbid, Scotty couldn't do a proper inter-mix formula...he's Scotty!

14. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doesn't the underling present his formula to Scotty who approves it as the best they could do under the circumstances? Scotty is totally implicated in that mess!

Although honestly (and also according to McCoy in the film) the blame has to lie with Kirk, for pushing too hard and inappropriately.

15. CorporalCaptain

Yeah, they weren't ready, as they said over and over. They really meant it.

16. Borjis

Borjis Commodore Commodore

good point.

17. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

From MAD Magazine (courtesy "My Star Trek Scrapbook")

[​IMG]

Neil