Time Travel? Other Universe?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Starborn Dragon, May 10, 2015.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Here's a question (not to derail the thread further ;))-Spock talks about planned colonies and societies in "Way to Eden":

The idea of planning out communities may include birth and reproduction planning as well. So, given the increase security/response to the Narada's attack, the Chekovs had to postpone having their child, in similar circumstances to Nerys Myk's scenario.

2. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

Well both Pavels do have the same speech impediment. Prime Pavel: "Nulear Wessel" instead of "Nuclear Vessel".NuPavel: "Wector Wector" instead of "Vector, Vector".:biggrin:

3. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Why not? It's obvious that the Narada incident created all kinds of changes to this new timeline, and its effects are long reaching and long lasting. We don't know the particulars of Chekov's parents or what they were doing at the time, so there's no reason not to assume that the Narada indirectly changed things for them. BTW, I have no problem whatsoever accepting that nuChekov is biologically a different person than prime Chekov.

4. slappy

slappy Commodore Commodore

I think what the original poster is saying is that time travel is a very specific kind of dimension travel, one where's the traveller and his journey are directly related to the universe he's travelling to. There are others in all magnitude of diversity and combination, but this type of travel is directly related.

However, here's a question: does that universe already exist before the traveller creates it through his actions?

For instance, I go back and save Kennedy in a new separate dimension.

Would that universe have always proceeded that way without me?

As in, Kennedy is saved and the future is changed, only I wasn't the one who did it?

5. Pubert

Pubert Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually came up with a solution that makes a bit of sense. Read my earlier post.

6. fireproof78

Another possibility is that they conceived Chekov, but then put him in cryogenic storage until they felt it was a better time to have kids.

The book Podkayne of Mars has a similar idea in it, with the parents having conceived five children, having the put on ice, and then unfreezing them to be born at convenient times.

Not sure how planned out the Federation is, but given the state of technology, food for thought :)

7. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Similar to the time dilation idea upthread really; both Chekovs are biologically the same person, but Chekov Prime went into some form of stasis for 5 years; NuChekov did not.

8. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

That never occurred to me before. I like it.

9. Jerikka Dawn

Jerikka Dawn Captain Captain

We actually don't know whether or not the Red Matter Black Hole that sucked up Vulcan or the one that destroyed the Narada led to the past or not. For all we know, the rubble of Vulcan appeared millions of years in the past in Sector Z-6 and formed Romulus :rommie:

We could start calling it the PiotrVerse.

10. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

They didn't explain it...but they mentioned it in a scene and people STILL missed it. Key phrase "alternate reality"!

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

But the name Piotr was invented by the (*) entity from Day of the Dove - it was a false memory the entity implanted in Pavel's mind - so why would it ever really exist?

12. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Just a simple 'butterfly effect'

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

It was likely a name plucked from Chekov's mind that had some meaning. Where would the alien get a Russian name to begin with? Maybe Piotr was a miscarriage Mama Chekov had years before Pavel came to be?

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've no idea what foreplay techniques the Chekovs used. ;)

15. fireproof78

Things have different names in the future ;)

16. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

I know. I was just thinking that it would make for a nice callback.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Maybe Piotr was Chekov's imaginary friend?