Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by MrPointy, May 10, 2011.

1. evilnate

evilnate Commodore Commodore

On that point, I agree. However, I don't think that CBS-D has the talent to do it in-house like they did with TOS-R. TOS-R was a fun way to revisit the series and I'm happy to own the blu-rays. However, the CGI was lacking in many areas, most notably in the the lighting, and made many of the shots poor to downright bad. However, it's difficult to argue that they're not an improvement on a technical level (but not an artistic one) over the effects that were being replaced. 40 years of special effects advancements will have that effect!

However, that's why I don't have high hopes for this project if it's done in the same manner as TOS-R. CBS-D didn't show the artistic ability to come close to matching the lighting and detail of the original shots that are present in TNG. I've been rewatching TNG and for the most part, there is nothing really wrong with most of the effects, except they're stuck at a low resolution. CBS-D, from what we saw from TOS-R is going to have a hard time even coming close to replicating the effects in CGI. Preferably they'll farm it out to a better f/x house, but more than likely they'll just do it on the cheap, and people will complain about it for years.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't see how they could screw it up. Are there any "Greedo shoots first" moments in TNG?

3. evilnate

Not yet! :lol:

4. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

"Mr. Worf..."

*The Borg cube opens fire first*

"Fire!"

5. evilnate

What will be worse than that will be the scene that they'll add back in to BOBW. After Picard has his talk with Guinan in Ten-Forward, we see him walking the passageways of the Enterprise. Riker finds him and then they repeat the scene with Guinan only in a slightly different way. Then Ensign Ro will walk into the scene and look into the camera for no apparent reason.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Well there are NO ST series on the air right now, so if you simply consider this as a replacement project for any new ST series, then it really isn't that big of a deal for CBS. Its just like having another series.

RAMA

7. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Exactly! Economics of scale.

I'm excited by the prospect of seeing the original film elements in their full glory! It's going to look utterly fantastic! And as an added bonus, there's bound to be loads of deleted scenes and goofs that we've never seen before. There must be hours and hours of footage that's never been seen anywhere else.

In terms of adding new elements, I would love it if we could see some different shots of the Enterprise, rather than recreating all the same stock shots again. I suppose if they do use CGI for this project, then creating new shots is inevitable. I look forward to it!

Also, I want them replace the Angel One matte paintings with brand new cityscapes. Please!! It's vitally important! :drool:

8. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

I don't mind the Angel One matte, but they did re-use it a few times.

RAMA

9. SoM

SoM Captain Captain

But as an advance? i.e., they put out DVD/Blu-Ray of, say, BotW/Family and Unification (5 episodes, one - Family - practically a "bottle show" for effects). They then plough that money back into the major remastering effort, with several major assets - the Ent-D model, Borg Cube model, Warbird and some others - now effectively paid for, and some major stock shots fully rendered.

10. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wasn't there a second matte of this particular cityscape used in another episode, the same style buildings, only from an other angle?

It was the cityscapes in TNG that fueled my young imagination, and its this area that a redo could most excel.

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Naturally we're going to have to same old thing we had when they remastered TOS. It's fine as it, they'll ruin it etc...

Surely the whole point of doing it is

1.>So it's more suitable for HD
    2.>It'll preserve it for the future
    3.>It'll make even more money in the long term

12. Butters

Butters Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Agreed. They can't ruin it as the originals will always exist.

Current TV technology makes it look terrible and consequently, its value as an asset diminishes and its appeal to new viewers drops.

13. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't mind if they added O'Brien to Relics, just a few seconds of him rescuing La Forge and Scotty. It's a shame the ships most famous Irish lad never met the great Scott on screen.

Troi's scene might exist in the valuts too.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Well, I assume they'll put out the remastered episodes pretty soon after completion, but there's no way that assembling the team and getting the infrastructure together only to do five episodes is the best way for CBS to spend their money. A home video release would take some time after completion to be put together and released. Then, CBS would have to go back to square one and put together everything again. That doesn't sound efficient or cost-effective to me.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Perhaps they should jsut go all the way and convert it to 3D. :P Only joking.

16. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Darmok, for one. Fire phasers! Uh, from the torpedo tube!

The only downside from that is that it would screw up a really cool looking effect sequence, even though it's technically wrong. :)

Mark

17. jefferiestubes8

jefferiestubes8 Commodore Commodore

Not that TNG has anything to do with the TOS 50th Anniversary in 2016 September but do you think that it will be 5 full years before TNG is remastered and takes advantage of the marketing for 50th Anniversary of TOS?
    That would be a Autumn 2016 release.
    Well it wouldn't coincide with STXIII that should come out around 2015 so maybe.

18. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I think it is more likely that they'll tie it to the release of a new feature film in the franchise than an anniversary, given the relative lack of new Trek content. TOS-R was released on Blu-Ray to tie in with Star Trek (2009) after all, with a trailer for the movie in front of the first disc of every season.

19. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

See this is exactly what I DON'T want to see, they don't need to change story points. I'm content with similar FX and new ones where the originals were designed primarily to save money, ie, re-used shots, kitbashes, and abandoned ideas.

20. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Of course they could also make it better!:techman:

Likely it will finish after that, but it should start airing way before that.