25th Century Starfleet Uniforms

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Sumghai, Sep 22, 2012.

1. Sumghai

Sumghai Lieutenant Red Shirt

[​IMG]

[Full size here]

Based on designs seen in IDW's Star Trek: Countdown graphic novel, Cryptic Studios' Star Trek Online MMORPG, and various Star Trek TV series from TNG onwards.

Probably one of the most substantial vector art projects I've undertaken to date.

Departmental Colors

Red = Command, Tactical, Security
    Gold = Engineering and Operations
    Blue = Science and Medical

Notes

Duty Uniforms
    General-purpose work uniforms designed for comfort. Nanoweave fabric absorb a significant portion of discharge from energy weapons, increasing survivability.

Dress Uniforms
    For formal occasions such as award ceremonies, change of command and funerals.

Admiralty Jackets
    Most Starfleet Command flag officers would wear the standard command red version. For those in charge of special commands e.g Admiral Beverly Crusher of Starfleet Medical or Admiral Montgomery Scott of SCE, sciences blue and engineering gold variants are available.

Mess Uniforms
    The equivalent of formal evening wear, or for hosting dignitaries. Starfleet Band uniform is based on conjecture from Star Trek Nemesis

Academy Cadet Uniforms
    The nature of "Declared" means that some cadets may take courses across departments, in which case the uniform denotes their major.

Cadets serving aboard ships and starbases would probably wear regular duty uniforms with cadet ranks.

Academy Staff Uniforms
    Administration Staff uniforms are again based on conjecture.

Academy Services denote amenities like groundskeepers, technical staff, tailors etc.

Undershirts / Undergarments
    Self-explanatory. I do suspect females would have a wider choice of colors, though.

Cold Weather Jacket
    Inspired by the low-key and practical designs seen in Star Trek: Enterprise.

Physical Training
    Can alternatively be used as as excursion uniforms for hotter climates.

Surgical Scrub
    The red used in TNG's scrubs are hideous, so I've opted for a nice pastel blue.

Extra-vehicular activity (EVA)
    Probably the most challenging to recreate based on a handful of reference images.

Section 31
    Black leather jackets and trousers for a department that, well, doesn't really exist

Not planned

Nurse Uniforms - They're medical staff.

Counsellor Uniforms - In ST: ODY, counsellors are also considered part of the medical department.

Diplomatic Corps - Comfortable civilian clothes under a robe would suffice.

Starfighter Corps - I consider Peregrine crews as volunteers from the complements of various ships, rather than a dedicated unit.

Marines - Absolutely not. Starfleet is a peacekeeping and exploration organisation, and only as a last resort do they use military force to protect their interests.

LCARS color scheme inspired from STO.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  2. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Very cool, I always liked the long coat variants. I especially like the admiralty uniforms.

3. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Whoa! The female Cadets and Academy staff wear miniskirts and go topless?!?! Jim Kirk was born 200 years too early. I see some Ferengi cultural influence here...or else just Gene Roddenberry...

(Just kidding, I see what you did there...)

--Alex

4. Kaiser

Kaiser Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Cool Uniforms :techman:

5. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

My only quibble is that the admiralty long coats look kinda weird with the asymmetric clasp line. That works with a shirt, but it gets more impractical the longer the outfit is.

6. Sumghai

BAHAHAHAH!

But seriously, I simply got lazy ;P

I see what you mean, although I was recreating what was in Star Trek Online.

7. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not having played STO, I was unaware. I will now aim my ire at them :rommie:

8. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Any chance you could send the dress uniform idea to the STO guys and convince them to put it in the game?

9. Sumghai

My ST:ODY Dress Uniforms are merely simplifications of the Veteran Jupiter jacket(s)* in STO.

There are also legal issues regarding commercial companies using fan art, so I'm going to pass on that one.

*Nope, I don't have a sub.

10. bluepicard27

bluepicard27 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt