Adventures in Space & Time & Misdirection?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by chardman, Feb 19, 2013.

1. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Anyone consider the possibility that Mark Gatiss' historical depiction of the early history of Doctor Who might be something of a canard wherein the characterizations of Hartnel, Troughton, (and perhaps others) along with their on-screen companions, are actually being recreated, not just for Gatiss' very real docudrama, but also for the actual 59th anniversary episode of Doctor Who as well?

The idea being that in addition to shooting scenes for Gatiss' film, mightn't they also be taking advantage of the situation by shooting additional footage of these period look-alikes and recreated period settings specifically for inclusion in a multi-doctor anniversary episode?

Seems like this would be a no-brainer, as you could spread the cost of recreating these older characters, sets, and locales over two productions, at a substantial savings to both.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I would've considered the posibility if the Anniversary Special was longer, but, an hour just isn't enough screentime to add in a bunch of Doctors that are still living, let alone the ones who have already passed on

3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I seriously doubt it.

However, and I thought this is what you were going to suggest, I could see the large amount of press towards Adventures in Space & Time as means to keep attention away from work being done the 50th anniversary special to provide a greater surprise when its released.

4. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Agree, unfortunately it seems like that won't be the case. I suppose the old style console might appear because we know they're all stored in the TARDIS. But, the 60 minute length is a big limitation.

Mr Awe

5. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course if they're building it accurately it will be green in colour and have photographic blow-ups for walls, which wouldn't really pass muster.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I assumed this was the case. I'm quite surprised to discover everyone else didn't...

7. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As StCoop says, the console room for AT&S will have to look like a 1960s set, not what the 1960s set was supposed to look like to the viewers.

8. chardman

I'm pretty sure that the anniversary special being limited to a single 60 minute episode is probably the biggest bit of misdirection of all. Seriously, where exactly did this revelation of a single 60 minute anniversary come from? I mean other than this notice from the UK Toy Fair?

[​IMG]

The wording of this notice in no way implies that the series is limited to what is listed on the sign, merely that the series includes these things. My chicken salad recipe includes finely chopped apple and grated cheese, but that doesn't mean it's limited to those two ingredients alone. While it includes apple and cheese. it also obviously contains a lot of other stuff (most notably, chicken). In this case "Includes" pretty much implies "in addition to the usual". Perhaps that's how it's being used in the above notice?

Seriously... to the best of my knowledge this notion of but a single 60 minute episode to commemorate Who's 50th anniversary has not been confirmed by anyone in a position of authority. If you know otherwise, I'd really appreciate like a link, as I've been looking for official confirmation of this since the announcement at the Toy Fair in mid January, and haven't found anything but third-party fan sources parroting it as though it were a confirmed fact, but base this conclusion solely on this above posting from the Toy Fair, and nothing more.

Moreover, I just did a quick search of the news items on the official Dr Who site, and can find absolutely nothing that confirms this "fact", nor which even hints at it.

9. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you're looking for a conspiracy where none exists. It's true, that list is not a complete representation of Doctor Who in 2013, since they left the Christmas special off. But otherwise, that's all we're getting. It's a matter of practicality, Moffat is still working on the script which films in April. Add that he has to take care of Sherlock and then the Christmas special, there just isn't any time to do anything more than.

But, I agree, it could be kind of cool if they could get David Bradley to show up as the First Doctor. 60 minutes allows one former Doctor to show up at least.

10. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

The Toy Fair poster was a piece of insider information for merchandisers who needed to know when the show is going to be on so they can plan their marketing accordingly. It's not a place for clever-clogs misdirection, unlike the various publicity interviews where Steven Moffat implied more would be happening in 2013. And at this point, all they have time to film in April before Smith goes off to do his movie in May is one 60-minute special. After Smith comes back, it will be extremely difficult to do anything more for 2013 other than a Christmas special without running afoul of post-production deadlines.

Also, if the TV show were planning a full-on multi-Doctor story with classic Doctors in meaningful roles, Big Finish wouldn't have been allowed to do The Light at the End.

11. intrinsical

intrinsical Commodore Commodore

It isn't going to be just a 60 minute anniversary special.

With the new retro opening, new retro console room introduced in last year's christmas special, I think their plan is to use the remainder of series 7 to setup the 50th anniversary special. So I fully expect them to liberally sneak in bits and pieces of Who history into the remaining episodes.

12. chardman

That's pretty much what I was thinking as well, though sort of the other way around.

The anniversary itself isn't until November, and I think the anniversary episode marks the beginning of the real anniversary celebration, rather than it's climax. I don't think we'll build up to it, per se, but that the Nov 23rd ep will mark the start off a year long anniversary story arc/celebration, that'll include the Christmas special and virtually all of series 8, and reach it's climactic conclusion nearly a year later on the fields of Trenzalore.

I'm expecting a whole anniversary series that starts on Nov 23, 2013, rather than a regular series that ends on that date with a standard 60 minute episode wherein the only thing about it that qualifies it as a "special" is that it's being shot in 3D.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Well given we know that at least two classic monsters will be showing up I think that’s highly likely (actually make that three given it looks like either Strax or A.N Other Sontaran is showing up as well).

I still don’t get why people are that upset about a 60 minute special. I think they can fit more into that time than you think. Look at PotD and WoM, both were an hour long and, quite frankly, both had a lot of padding. The Five Doctors was 90 minutes yes, but how much of that was stock footage of Tom and Lalla, and how much was Doctor’s chatting with their companions? Factor in you had five Doctors (sort of) eight companions (near as I recall and including Jamie, Zoe and Romana) The Master, plus three members of the High Council plus a Dalek, plus the Raston warrior, plus Cybermen, plus a hint of UNIT, plus Bessie…

Talk about the kitchen sink ;)

Strip back the cast so that you just have a handful of Doctors and Clara (always assuming she’s still around) and make the threat a single enemy (either the Master or the Daleks would be the obvious ones, especially given we’ll see Cybermen in series 7b) and get into the action as soon as possible and I don’t see any reason why you can’t have a decent story in 60 minutes. We were never going to get an 11 Doctor/25 companions extravaganza, no matter what people thought (and let’s be honest even with 90 minutes it’d be tricky)

Look at Trek, they had two series running when they hit the 30th anniversary and we still just got a single regular episode of both DS9 and Voyager (and only one of them was any good) and when Corrie hit 50 ITV had to rely on the BBC to celebrate the dame thing!

Plus there’ll be a load of other stuff that, from some fans’ perspective may not count, but from the Beeb’s probably does. There will be a Who star on Strictly this year, I’d stake money on that, and given the show will still be airing by the time the actual anniversary arrives, I wouldn’t put it past them to do some kind of Who themed show (it’s unlikely I grant you but you never know). There’ll be various Doctors/companions on every panel/interview show going as well I reckon and I can still see some classic Who being show on BBC3/4, so I reckon by the time November rolls around Dr Who may well ‘take over our tellys’ even if not quite in the way a lot of people wanted.

14. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Strax definitely is, since Vastra & Jenny are back, dunno if the shooting Sontaran in the trailer is him (perhaps in a flashback) or not

And I'd be more than willing to bet it'll be Davison. At the very least he'll be their first choice, I reckon.

(Second most likely would be Bonnie Langford or Catherine Tate)

15. StCoop

I'm a bit confused as to your point. The Anniversary episode of Doctor Who is 60 minutes long, but there are other programmes (like AAIS&T) that are part of the Anniversary celebrations. I don't see anyone disputing that.

And just so you know, since the contact details have been cut off on that photo, the information at Toy Fair came from the Brand Manager at BBC Worldwide, who would in turn have got it from the Doctor Who Production Office in Cardiff. So it's as accurate as it can be really.

16. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Davison's been my bet all along as well, well known and succesful but not so succesful that he wouldn't be up for it, plus he fits into the 'older star' category that Strictly always have at least one of. Of course there are those rumours that they were trying to get Jenna to do it as well.

As a dark horse I'll throw another name into the ring; Louise Jameson. In terms of classic companions who are still with us she'd be quite well known given her output (Who, Bergerac, Tenko, Eastenders) plus she still looks good even though shes in her 60s.

People unlikely to do Strictly;

Eccleston :p

Colin Baker (although frankly Strictly would be better for his health than I'm a Celeb likely was)

Tennant, although that'd be a hell of a coup!

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Didn't the BBC's announcement of the special being in 3D also confirm it was an hour?

18. StCoop

I don't think so (and as you might have noticed I'm pretty obsessed with nailing all this stuff down). However, in purely practical terms they've only got a month or so to shoot in before Matt heads off to America, which limits how long it can be. (And shooting in native 3D slows things down too.)

The BBC Drama Controller Ben Stephenson did suggest that the Anniversary/Xmas Specials could form a two-part story, though I imagine that would result in some annoyed people who've paid to see the former in the cinema only to be greated with a TBC at the end.

19. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it's too much to ask for a (short) movie length story to celebrate the 50th. That's quite a milestone and a truly epic story is in order. Plus, I like all that chatting. When that originally aired it was quite a nice reunion! :) I'd hate to rush that sort of stuff.

But, it's also the implication that there won't be many old Doctors and companions (if any). If the episode was 50% longer, they'd be able to include more. Who knows how much longer some of the older actors will be around? Let's not have a situation like that with Nicholas Courtney repeat itself.

If they were to spread all of that out across multiple episodes, that would be totally fine. But, they're so darned tight lipped about things, which makes it appear like they don't really know what they're doing and it dampens enthusiasm. Contrast that to Big Finish where big things are afoot and they're building the excitement.

Also, a 2 parter that spans the anniversary special and the Christmas specail would also be very cool.

And, I don't give a flying flip who's one Strictly.

Mr Awe

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be fair, RTD and his gang always wanted the Brigadier to appear, but they had to jump through a lot of hoops to get the legal clearance to use him. By the time that settled, they were able to get him to appear on SJA, but Nicholas Courtney's health prevented him from appearing any more.