NuTrek's Faulty Moral Compass

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brutal Strudel, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

TOS Enterprise was doomed every second episode
    Against the Domesday machine, the Jack the Ripper entity, that hate entity in Day of the Dove, the giant space amoeba, the Guardian on the Edge of Forever, Trelane, the Metrons, the Platonians, Apollo, etc.

Yet the Enterprise survived another day.

I bet you Prime Spock thought he was doomed when he was pulled through the black hole.

A doomed ship brings drama to the story but no guarantee of destruction

2. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Having a totally different childhood will do that to someone.

Yes, because it's an extension of the audience's wish to see Nero pay for genocide.

I think you're over-analysing this.

3. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Eventually people will be doing it for Khan blood.

4. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Than why did Kirk and Uhura go back on fourth on who the drinks were on in the last movie?

5. Set Harth

[i mg]http://s2.quickmeme.com/img/d6/d6544e9393f75db50ffc0f5606dca0b41bbd2610424c8ea788fc89856b70f2d3.jpg[/ img]

[Unless Quickmeme's policy explicitly permits hotlinking, you should host this on web space or image-sharing account registered to you. - M']

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2014
  6. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

So you don't agree with Kirk's speech at the end of Into Darkness that revenge is bad? Because seeing the crew kill the bad guy so that we can have the satisfaction of seeing him pay sounds a lot like revenge to me. And some fans think that there are no faults in the morals of these movies.

"Revenge is bad except when you want it."

Oh, one other thing. Starfleet has condoned genocide in the past.

7. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

Agreed

as I wrote before, considering the "black hole magic" of this film, the casual viewer would have every reason to think that the Narada escaping was a distinct possibility.

"but they're doomed! they're caught by the black hole!"

"er, you mean they'll just wind up another century forward or backward in time?"

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Well, if they did somehow manage to survive, they would only have about...

[​IMG]

half of their ship with no weapons, shields or red matter.

And when the camera does a pan around of the black hole just after the Enterprise open fires on the Narada, both portions are spinning in the opposite direction of each other. That usually means they're no longer attached. The Narada is quite literally half destroyed at this point, and if you look behind the image of Nero when he responds to Kirk's offer of assistance, you can actually see the long spiky parts breaking off the ship before the Enterprise even fires on her. With all her weapons fired, no more red matter and a crew that are effectively fleeing their stations, I think the argument that they're going to die still stands.

Heck, if you want it spelled out for you, read the Alan Dean Foster adaption. Not only is it established that the Narada won't survive the black hole, it goes on further to explain that the Narada won't be able to use it to travel in time. And to add even more fuel to the "moral" issue, it even gives Kirk an inner monologue where he actually bolsters about how with Nero's refusal for assistance, he can now kill him without getting any flack. Yep. Just as South Park demonstrated that you can't kill an animal unless you yell "It's coming right for us!", you can't kill the bad guy without offering the vaguest of assistance. You know they'll say no, but at least it will give your superiors the impression that you tried.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Honestly, who the hell cares at this point?

10. Set Harth

For whatever it's worth, the Narada did have a lot of other ( much smaller ) ships inside it. It's doubtful that Nero would have had the chance to get to any of them, though.

11. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

If Starfleet was a police department, yes. But it's not. It's a paramilitary organization with a different mandate and substantially different rules of engagement.

I used to have this thread bookmarked.:techman:

Significantly, though, even these are based mostly on the David Schmidt plans. Which I ALSO have saved on my HD because they're awesome.

Cool as they are, those plans were written in the 1990s, at which time TNG had been on the air for years and we knew a lot more about starship concepts than we did when Probert originally designed it. The saucer was intended to separate from the main hull only in the event of a catastrophic emergency -- basically, like the one we saw in Generations -- and could not perform any sort of mission on its own (other than, say, "The saucer just exploded! Abandon ship!")

There's again the issue that the transporter system is a pretty maintenance and energy-intensive device in the TOS years; "The transporter isn't working!" is a valid plot device because it's "The transporter." Singular, not plural. By the TNG years, we get the concept that a ship with twelve transporter rooms could somehow not be able to beam people anywhere just because a console exploded on the bridge. :vulcan:

Furthermore, I don't think it should even be possible to do that until the 24th century. If we think about this, between ST-Enterprise and TNG the differences in technology are almost down to cosmetic touches since everything seems to work basically the same way. In the 23rd, there shouldn't be any possibility -- AT ALL -- of using your own transporter to beam someone off your ship who isn't on the pad. In NuTrek, just beaming down from the transporter room is a complicated and potentially dangerous process, which I find ENORMOUSLY refreshing.

12. Crazy Eddie

Crazy Eddie Vice Admiral Admiral

No they're not, dude. The front portion of the ship is disintegrating, it's impossible to tell which way it's spinning because pieces of it are flying in every other direction.

Which hasn't been an issue of this entire discussion. The issue is whether or not Kirk has any moral obligation whatsoever to save Nero and his crew despite their refusal to surrender. Strictly speaking, he does not. He won't surrender, so finish his ass.

That Kirk even OFFERED assistance in this case is probably going above and beyond his mandate, and as I've already pointed out, it's a lot more than Prime Kirk offered to General Chang.

13. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I believe Pike refers to Starfleet as a 'peacekeeping armada'.

In TMP a malfunction in engineering affected the transporter in the primary hull but you are right to say that in TOS Scotty did perform repairs on the console itself. If they had another one, why not just swap rooms? I think the circuitry to run a transporter is massive but the transporters use external emitters - I think the consoles and the platforms are just channelling to and from the important parts of the ship.

In my view, site to site is fine as long as it is by relay through the pad.

However the stuff in the movies about moving targets is just silly. Targets are ALWAYS moving - on the planet, in the universe, even their atoms are moving.

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I would think the novelization means jack shit during this debate. But, are we really trying to frame someone in a bad light who is portrayed as wanting to take down the man who killed his father and six billion others beings? Someone he knows for a fact is guilty.

Busting Kirk's balls over this is nothing but a result of "TNG think". The character is human and carries himself in a very human manner.

15. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Which implies military organization not police.

16. robau

robau Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Fair enough. But there clearly isn't any need to engage in prostitution in the utopia. No one goes broke or homeless. I guess it could be something they choose to do, but why necessarily for money? It just doesn't make sense to assume that.

17. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Meh, I don't doubt that we're supposed to think that Kirk is so awesome, why wouldn't alien twins want to have sex with him? It's just a shame that they humanised Caitains to such a degree because screwing a couple of furballs would have made him seem weird instead of awesome.

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

That's both unnecessary and almost certainly an unsupportable claim - in both cases better omitted.

19. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As seen in the TNG episodes "Arena" and "Spectre of the Gun."

20. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

"Arena" is an interesting comparison. The Federation had invaded a foreign powers territory unwittingly. The Gorn reclaimed their territory and didn't go on a genocidal rampage against the Federation. Nor had the Gorn commander personally killed one of Kirk's parents.

It's really apples and oranges.