Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

For a moment I thought they might be heading there with Zach. Dex does fit the code, and it seemed fitting he would be killed by a protégé following the same code. Sort of a Darth Plagueis twist.

2. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Masuka's daughter: cute idea, just a bit confused about the length of screentime given. I really thought they were going somewhere with the 'she needs money' angle. I get it, the part about him needing a meaningful relationship with a woman. I just thought it was going to become something profound. Instead it was like most of the characters on this show... slowly moving backwards and behind the curtain. Whatever, I shouldn't complain. This series gave us a lot of closure as compared to countless others that didn't.

Deb kills Dex: I would have totally been up for that. And no, not a halfhearted murder attempt (Deb crashes the car) because the writers needed a more dramatic transition between episodes.

Dex gets Captured:
    - I figure Quin would back up Dexter fairly quickly. He's always wanted Dexter's respect and I can picture him saying, 'good for you getting those sons of bitches' etc. Quin would be in.
    - Masuka would initially be against it, and would see Dexter as some kind of traitor. But then, upon reflection, he may warm up to the idea.
    - Locutus of Bored raises a good point about Angel though, he might not have seen the idealistic hobby of Dexter's as valiant at all, and maybe would have been super pissed about it. And then retired because, could any of these cops go on working knowing what happened?

Maybe the writers avoided that ending because it would have been a bummer... everyone would have lost their jobs, etc. So... maybe LaGuerta finding out was the way that the writers felt effectively dealt with the idea of a captured Dexter. I don't want to rewatch the series but last season might be worth another look to see how LaGuerta pieced it together - at the time I felt dismissive of the storyline because I thought it was building to a huge exposure: I wanted to see a full season of captured Dexter! At first, Dex interrogated. Then Dex's trial. His escape from custody, his kills in the wild. I pictured him swinging through forests, killing evil jungle gang leaders (yes, he ends up traveling though time and on other planets.) What was I talking about? Oh yeah., LaGuerta. Did she have a scene where she privately confronts LaGuerta? He urges her to let it go, right? Did he show her his Dark Passenger? :D Sounds dirty!

Okay... I've got to stop thinking about this show for a while. It's clearly giving me brain bubbles.
    I think I've decided to disregard that whole final 30 second lumberjack scene. I was enjoying the suicide ending so much more... I seem to recall my grin converting into a facepalm.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  3. PKerr

PKerr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow what an utter train wreck that ending was.

When Dex sails off into the hurricane I turned to my GF and said "Ughh, what a Shitty ending and then when they show Dex Bunyan I was like face palm double Ughh what a shittier ending.

The only thing that could have possibly saved that ending that Harry is standing there with Dex as a way of showing that the dark passenger is back.

I've also never been a fan of Deb, IMO she is the most annoying character in the series, IDK how many times I wished they would just bump her off but that was a horrible death and I actually hoped she would make it.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  4. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

I did too. Now it might have been nice if, after being interviewed over the death in the interrogation room, the guys had said:

"We know you've done this before, Dex. I didn't see anything, did you?"

"Nope."

"Now get out there and be happy."

5. Xip

Xip Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Oh wow, this is exactly what me and my husband were like when the show ended.

6. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

I've been recording this season as it went but haven't had time to watch any until now, and I'm about to watch the first ep to see how that is for myself. Anyway, I've heard the finale is variations on 'polarising', but I'm more interested in the rest of the season. Without spoiling too much, how is it? I can take a bad ending if the rest is worth watching. Just need a couple posts worth of opinions. :)

7. Shurik

Shurik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The finale is insultingly stupid, but it's actually an improvement over much of the rest of the season.

8. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

I haven't been watching this show because it turned me off many times in just two episodes. So, did they finally track down and execute that mass murdering psychopath motherfucker?

9. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

The rest of the season is all over the place. They tried to do a lot with various characters and story lines and it came out a bit of a jumble.

10. Rowan Sjet

Rowan Sjet Commodore Commodore

Ok yeah, I gave in and spoiled myself. Guess I shouldn't be surprised. :sigh:

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

The season actually started out fairly well, with the focus on Debra's downward spiral after the killing of LaGuerta, and Dexter's concern over his sister.

But gradually (without giving any spoilers), the writers kind of veered away from that storyline, and things just started to get more and more tedious and aimless as it went along.

I suppose if you put it out of your mind that this is the "final season", and just accept it as just another average season of Dexter, you might enjoy it. But I was not able to do that, and couldn't help but be incredibly disappointed with what we got.

12. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Up until the last episode, it was a pretty average season. It didn't tell the story I wanted it to tell though.

I wanted to see some kind of consequences for Dexter's actions, or him getting found out, something along those lines, and during the season we got none of that. It played like just another season and not like the final season of a series that had run for many years. Then in the final episode they tried to shoehorn some of that stuff in there and it was just so bizarre and out of left field that it fell totally flat in my opinion.

13. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The problem with the final season was that it wasn't the final season. It was just another run-of-the-mill season in the show that meandered all over the place in order to fill the episode quota, then an incredibly weak and nonsensical "finale" tagged on at the end.

At least that's why I was disappointed, and I tend to try to stay optimistic for most of the shows I watch. Or at least hope the writer's have something more interesting planned than what they're currently showing, anyway.

In retrospect, I kind of wish the series had ended after the first season. It was pretty much a perfect story for me.

14. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

The second season isn't perfect, but I like it enough that I'd take it, too.

15. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've actually been doing a rewatch of season 1 over the past two weeks, mainly to purge the shittiness of season 8 from my brain, and am enjoying it immensely. It's like ah yes, THIS is why I became a fan of the show in the first place... Forgot what a great villain the Ice Truck Killer was, with all his toying with Dexter, and Dexter's voiceovers were actually funny back then rather than constantly stating the obvious.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I didn't enjoy season 1, but that was probably because I saw it in 2011 and my expectations were high due to 5 years of hype. When I got to season 2, I absolutely loved it.

17. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Dexter Producer: Showtime Wouldn’t Let Us Kill Dexter

Bad Showtime, bad.

18. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

On the one hand, that's pretty horrible. On the other hand, I don't think whether Dexter lived or died in the end would have made much of a difference considering how the rest of the show played out.

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah but we would've been spared Lame-o Lumberjack Dexter.

20. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meaningless and pointless. Those are the best words I can describe the final season. No matter how season eight could have played out, the writing never led there. Stuff either happens or it doesn't, and the reaction is ho hum for both the characters and the viewers.

Let's say the show ends with Deb being accused of being the Bay Harbor Butcher... or Matthews has known about Dexter this whole time and has been covering for him... or Quinn loves Deb so much he takes the fall for being the Bay Harbor Butcher... or Dexter gets away with everything only to get killed in a simple convenience store robbery... or Batista kills Dexter to avenge LaGuerta... or Harrison falls into a portal and comes back the next day as a full-grown adult who blames Dexter for Rita's death and kills him... or we find out Doakes has been turned into a robot zombie and kills Dexter out of revenge... none of it really matters because for this season, everything just kind of happens.

But if you've season seasons 1-7, I guess you're obligated to finish.