Treking through all Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by thew40, Sep 21, 2009.

1. Cheapjack

Cheapjack Fleet Captain

I suppose Roddenberry thought that male and female transferred to the immaterial world, too, to energy beings. It was very sixties. Theyt might be both male and female or neither or they may choose, like transexuals do, or they may be male one day, female the next. Or maybe they just love each other.

Kirk does seem do contradict himself, cos he says love doesn't matter on the physical form, then he says the companion and the man can't experience total love unless they are both the same. Maybe he just meant total love.

That speech by Shatner is shatner at his best! It's so 60's!

'You can't feel, you can't join, you can't....love!!'

2. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Yeah, there's little bits of continuity thrown in here and there, subtly. The Organian Peace Treaty is mentioned in just about every subsequent Klingon episode in TOS:lol:. The Horta incident is mentioned in 'That Which Survives'. Kirk mentions having been to the galactic barrier before in 'By Any Other Name'; and in the same ep, Kirk and Spock discuss their escape on Eminiar in 'A Taste Of Armageddon'.

But yes, TOS usually has self contained stories.

3. thew40

thew40 Commander Red Shirt

Series: The Original Series – Season Two
    Episode: “Friday’s Child”
    Trek Installment # 126
    Grade: B
    Viewing Date: January 1, 2010

Boy, that redshirt lasted long, didn’t he? Spaz! Die.

The Klingons came across very much as an “arms race” style enemy in this episode, which I liked. It struck me a little odd that they “didn’t have the stomach for a fight.” I guess, though, maybe that might have to do with the events of “Divergence” as well as the Organians having probably slapped them pretty hard.

It’s great to see Bones to step up and help smooth things over. Actually, this was a great episode for McCoy. He had lots to do and really broke free of his routine. Also, leave it to Kirk and Spock to turn communicators into weapons – though the explosion was a bit much.

I again liked the bridge scenes, as we finally had the whole gang bouncing around up there. It was great to see Chekov, Sulu, Scotty, and Uhura all interacting and working together.

I also really liked the Capelleans. I found them to be a more interesting race than most in that they didn’t follow the human standard that we seem to get episode after episode. I liked their differences quite a bit.

4. thew40

Episode: “Who Mourns for Adonais?”
    Trek Installment # 127
    Grade: C
    Viewing Date: January 3, 2010

This was a fairly decent episode, though it was a little boring. I thought Palamas was a poor man’s McGivers. Love struck by a dude from the ancient past. Gasp! She was really weak and at times, I actually hoped that Apollo had had some sort of spell or control over her.

There are a lot of little things about this episode that were interesting. Uhura had a strong role to play. Scotty had an emotional subplot going. The way Apollo spoke of his fellow gods was well-delivered. Chekov was lots of fun.

Ultimately, however, I found myself almost napping while watching this one. Sorry. Fairly average and fairly kooky.

5. thew40

Episode: “Amok Time”
    Trek Installment # 128
    Grade: A-
    Viewing Date: January 3, 2010

This isn’t so much an episode about Spock and Kirk’s friendship, but the friendship of everyone on board – centering on Spock, Bones, and Kirk. I loved the Sulu/Chekov moments at the conn. And Kirk’s determination to get Spock to Vulcan. And Chapel’s joy at taking Spock to Vulcan.

On top of that, we have a fantastic Spock episode that deals with his core – shock! – emotions. And it was a great jump back into Vulcan mythology, tying in greatly with the Enterprise Vulcan arc (or vice versa). T’Pau’s scenes were cool and it was nice to have a really hot visual reference to compare her to.

Spock’s and T’Pring’s greetings were laughable, though.

I know I should have more to say here as this was just an amazing episode, but this is one of those times when so much has been said that I don’t need to say anymore.

6. thew40

Episode: “The Doomsday Machine”
    Trek Installment # 129
    Grade: B
    Viewing Date: January 7, 2010

Man, do I love me some remastered “Doomsday Machine.” The Enterprise looks great, the Doomsday Machine looks great, the shuttle looks great, and even the beat-up Constellation looks great. The only thing that didn’t look great was when the Enterprise was wailing on the Doomsday Machine. It looked kinda goofy for some reason.

This was a real fun episode, lots of excitement and drama. Decker was a bit of a tool and that Spock just allowed him to waltz in, take command, and then help him take command bothered me some. I know Spock tried to get in there and push Decker out, but there didn’t seem to be much effort of his part.

Scotty was a real miracle-worker here. He did a great job fixing up the Constellation, then beamed over, and fixed the transporter in the no time. And then he’s ordered to get on that warp drive. Never gets a break.

Overall, this episode was pretty cool. The Doomsday Machine was awesome and mysterious and I’m glad we’ve never really gotten a true explanation about where it came from.

7. thew40

Episode: “Wolf in the Fold”
    Trek Installment # 130
    Grade: D-

Kirk’s plotting to get Scotty laid for all the hard work he put in during “The Doomsday Machine.” Two mentions of the Rigel system in two episodes. The chief administrator is the most lame cop I’ve ever seen. I do like the empathic skills mentioned – very interesting. The ceremony was neat.

I know that Kirk is all about saving Scotty . . . but his calm stubborn-ness is just really insane.

Why did they leave that dead guy just sitting at the table?

And then things get stupid because it turns out to be the ghost of Jack the Ripper and he goes off to haunt the Enterprise. They then go off to defeat with happy gas and Pi. And the dead lame guy. And the transporter.

Terrible. Now let’s all laugh after three innocent women have died.

The moral of the story: never let Kirk try and get you laid.

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Yes, it is a terrible episode. I never understood why some people like it.

9. thew40

Episode: “The Changeling”
    Trek Installment # 131
    Grade: C-

I think I liked the premise of this one, but found it to be a little lackluster. It really troubled me that Kirk lost four crew men; Scotty died and returned; Uhura had HER MIND WIPED OUT; and four billion people died . . . and yet he still had the gall to make a few jokes at the end of the episode. It really pissed me off.

The Maularians were kinda scummy, but I’m surprised they were just wiped out like that. The starship we saw in “Civilization” was huge and more powerful than the NX-01. Why didn’t they evolve even more advanced in that time? Surely, they would have been able to take down Nomad or at least get a call out for help.

I liked that Nomad was shown as dangerous and powerful. The crew’s response to having it aboard was a nice sign of that; however the scale of damage it inflicted was too large for the show to handle dramatically. Uhura will be JUST FINE. Scotty was A-OKAY. Four BILLION people were exterminated, but that’s ALL RIGHT.

Again, I thought the premise was good, I thought the story was okay, but the dramatic weight of all the events was just lost. No one seemed upset by what happened. It bothered me. While I enjoyed moments like Spock’s mind meld and McCoy’s reaction to Nomad, it was all lost on me as much as the amount of devastation was lost on everyone else.

And I’m really, really sick of Kirk tossing a logic problem at a computer and defeating it.

10. thew40

Episode: “The Apple”
    Trek Installment # 132
    Grade: D+
    Viewing Date: January 15, 2010

It’s a no-go, Star Trek.

Red shirt death hits massacre-level in this episode, totaling three in all. Killed by a flower, an exploding rock, and an incinerating lightning bolt. Two of three that Spock happily walked away from with just minor injuries.

Kirk must have felt inspired by Apollo, as he seemed just fine with wiping out the computer-god and taking its place as its divine usurper. He also once more forces a primitive civilization to come to terms with themselves and find their way to make life work, but without any guidance or moral help. It’s really kinda disgusting at times. I understand that the risks were higher here, as his ship was involved, but damn it, man, there are other ways. You could at least send down a team to help out or alerted Starfleet to send experts to lend a hand.

I also felt like Vaal just didn’t make sense. The world-controlling, storm manipulating, force field generating super-mega-powerful computer . . . runs of fruits and veggies? That’s like saying that if I cram a grape into my battery slot on my laptop, it’ll run my entire house. Gimme a break.

Overall, I just didn’t like this one. The aliens were okay and premise was there, but there wasn’t anything intriguing or interesting or fun about it. This was a real downer. With a joke at the end.

11. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

No thoughts on the bizarre casting in these episodes? Catwoman as pregnant lunatic who exchanges slaps with McCoy and calls him MAC COY! Piglet from "Winnie the Pooh" as Jack the Ripper! The casting on this show was fantabulous! :D The dance and music at the beginning of "Wolf in the Fold" alone should earn the episode at least a C. One of my favourite openings in the whole series...it fooled me into expecting a great episode.

12. thew40

Seriously? :wtf: Kanga better look out!

I liked the dancing too, but dancing does not a good episode make.

13. thew40

Episode: “Mirror, Mirror”
    Trek Installment # 133
    Grade: B+
    Viewing Date: January 15, 2010

One thing that’s difficult to do with these reviews is to, basically, rave about an episodes that’s already been well-received. In fact, it’s harder to do with the original series because most of the episodes I’ve enjoyed are those that have been almost universally enjoyed.

“Mirror Mirror” is of course one of those episodes.

Nowadays, the idea of an alternate universe is something commonplace. I believe it’s a scientific fact now – or at least a show on the Science Channel claimed it to be. This is TOS’s second try with an alternate universe, as the first, “The Alternative Factor” happened last season. That episode was a mess; this was one wasn’t.

To be completely honest, I have issues with it. I honestly am starting to hate transporter accidents. For something that’s so commonplace and to have insane crap like this happen all the time makes me wonder. The transporter has (so far) done the following: split Kirk in two (good and evil halves) and tossed Kirk and co. into an alternate universe. But why hasn’t this happened before? Why hasn’t another crew undergone this problem? Is it because the transporter keeps getting messed up that crazy crap continues?

It’s just a little mind-boggling.

But I digress . . .

In spite of all that, this episode is just fine. I loved seeing all the barbaric, twisted, and impish versions of these characters. It’s so much fun to see Chekov try and be an assassin and Sulu try and hit on Uhura – as well as be the bad-ass. I was a little surprised that it seemed like Scotty has almost no rank here, like he’s just another lowly servant. Very interesting.

Of course, the main player in this episode is Spock, whose depth goes further than his beard. It’s fascinating to note just how similar, though devious, he is compared to Spock Prime. On that note, I certainly loved his reaction to the mirror universe counter-parts.

I think I liked Mirror Spock’s reaction to the Prime crew – get them the hell outta there.

All in all, this was a great one. Alternate realities and Star Trek have a real love/hate relationship. Sometimes they create some great drama – ie. “Mirror, Mirror,” “Twilight” and “City on the Edge of Forever.” Other times, it’s a real EPIC FAIL, as in “Storm Front” and “The Alternate Factor.” It’s been a while since I’ve seen the DS9 MU episodes, so I’m looking forward to those. And “Yesterday’s Enterprise.” Oh, and wasn’t there a movie or something that dealt with a weird alternate universe? I could have sworn I saw something like that . . .

14. DevilEyes

Man, your rating system is harsh. Just B+ for Mirror, Mirror? I must check which episodes you gave A in season 1.

Much as I love DS9, the MU is IMO its weakest part. They should have really stopped at the first one - Crossover - when the MU was still scary and interesting, though I had problems with that one as well (namely, I am not buying that the Intendant is an alternate universe Kira Nerys - she just seems like a completely different character played by Nana Visitor; compare that to Mirror Spock - I am buying that Spock could turn out like that under different circumstances, in a universe such as the MU). The rest of them got sillier and sillier, it turned into an excuse for dressing up, overacting, silliness and girl on girl action - and don't get me started on the whole "evil lesbians and bisexuals" thing. :rolleyes:

Originally, in TOS, the MU was interesting as it showed a dark version of our heroes, of Trek's Humanity, and of Federation - it introduced the idea that, under different circumstances, they could have turned out ruthless, cruel, barbaric, and a Human-lead galactic power could have been a conquering, oppressive empire. This is what makes TOS Mirror, Mirror and ENT In A Mirror Darkly great. Crossover was somewhat interesting in that it subverted the optimistic ending of Mirror Mirror, showing that Spock's rebellion might not have been a good thing for the Humans. But once the rebellion started, they should have just ended the MU storyline, as the MU had no point anymore. Humans were again the good guys fighting the evil Klingons and Cardassians. Well, how different and original. :rolleyes: I don't have to explain why that misses the whole point of the Mirror Universe, do I?

Trek literature offers a number of interesting alternate universes, though - check out the Myriad Universes novellas, if you haven't already. :bolian:

15. thew40

If memory serves, the MU hasn't exactly faired well in TrekLit as well -- esp. in the DS9-Relaunch. That particular storyline got real dry and stale quickly. But I do understand and agree with your complaints about the future MU episodes. It's been a goooood long time since I've seen, so I'm looking forward to seeing them in context of the overall Trek-verse (or, more appropiately, the Mirror Universe).

-------

Episode: “The Deadly Years”
    Trek Installment # 134
    Viewing Date: January 24, 2010

I really found this episode to be pretty stupid. Kirk got really dumb, Bones got cranky, Spock got bitchy, and Scotty got lost fast. Breaking it down . . .

The Bad:
    - The super-simple cure at the end didn’t make any sense. “It turns out it’s this type of vaccine from the 1960s!”
    - Wallace was so pointless. Kirk just kinda bitched at her and made her admit she had a fetish for old dudes.
    - Commodore Stocker’s inability to realize that cutting through the Romulan Neutral Zone WAS A BAD THING
    - Also, despite Commodore Stocker showing some real intelligence and understanding (despite the Neutral Zone debacle), being treated like a dumbass by everyone else
    - The science montage as Spock, Wallace, and Chapel prepare the cure

The Good:
    - Kirk’s competency hearing was a highlight, as Uhura, Spock, Bones, and Sulu seemed very upset as they basically betrayed Kirk
    - The Romulan battle at the end was very, very exciting!

Part of me really wished that they would have found some way to insert present-day Shatner and Nimoy into this episode, overtop their 60s counterparts. Oh well.

16. DevilEyes

Yes, I agree, that's why, as I said, I much prefer the "Myriad Universes" books with their various alternate universes, like James Swallow's Seeds of Dissent, about a universe in which Khan won the Eugenics Wars, which is closer to the original idea of the MU as the humans are the bad guys oppressing the rest of the galaxy, or William Leisner's A Less Perfect Union, about a universe in which Earth became isolationist and xenophobic after a different outcome to the events of ENT Terra Prime/Demons.

I'm surprised someone hasn't done that and put it to Youtube. :rommie:

17. thew40

Y'know, it's funny you mention that, because for years and years, I thought the MU was a timeline where Khan had won the Eugenics Wars.

------

Episode: “I, Mudd”
    Trek Installment # 135

I liked this episode for one reason and one reason only: Harry Mudd.

I love Mudd. I think he’s funny, he creates a fun dynamic with the rest of the crew and unlike his previous appearance, this time he was a lot more fun. The robots were pretty stupid, though, and failed to really be of anything interesting. Again, illogic and insanity destroy artificial intelligence. It’s kooky and far-fetched. The robots don’t make a whole lot sense either – they’re just looking to understand humanity and that’s it? Nothing else? Really? Serve us? And how did Harry get them to look like his type of lady? Were they new robots? Old?

Plots holes a plenty. Where was the rest of the crew that beamed down? The only way to dupe the fem-bots was to act like idiots? I thought that was “sexy” and only worked in Austin Powers.

18. thew40

Episode: “The Trouble With Tribbles”
    Trek Installment # 136
    Grade: A-

There’s a reason why this episode is so iconic. It’s funny, it’s kinda thoughtful, it has Klingons, and it’s just fun. While still maintaining a fine amount of drama in regards to the Klingons and the station, the episode itself is just fun. The Tribbles had to that factor, becoming cute, cuddly, and surprisingly dangerous. Kinda.

The episode ties into the on-going Federation/Klingon Cold War, adding some intrigue. The Tribbles bring in a new life-form for the Federation to deal with. It all comes out to a fine episode. I know I should have more to say, but to be completely honest, it’s all out there. You don’t have to take my word for it.

19. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

W40:

Yeah, now that you mention it. That makes a lot of sense now. Cool, man.

:techman:

20. DevilEyes

Hmm, I don't really think that would work. None of those people from Mirror, Mirror seemed genetically engineered. They weren't any physically stronger, more capable, skilled, intelligent, or anything else, in comparison with their prime universe counterparts. If genetic modification had been the rule for 300 years, none of them would probably even look the same as the Kirk, Scotty, McCoy, Uhura etc. that we know, so none of the prime universe people would be able to take their place in the Mirror Universe.

Mirror Universe just seems like a universe where people who are absolutely the same genetically have very different personalities due to the circumstances - essentially, because they live in "barbaric" society that favors violence, scheming and ruthlessness and the only morality is that the stronger and wilier shall win.