sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Those are all horror to me. I was just watching Starship Troopers, my favorite sci-fi film and even it's end degenerated into gratuitous horror instead of smart sci-fi. Did we learn anything about the bugs or ourselves in the end? No. i would like to rewrite that ending to be more thought provoking, thoughtful and insightful. I guess it's a matter of intent and the disgression of the programmers of sy-fy, etc.. Once again though we're talking about the lowest common denominator (demon eater) here $ and ratings.

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Often, yes, but Other Kingdoms doesn't really fit that template. The protagonist and POV character is a wounded WW I vet, not an ingenue, and the plot doesn't play out like a traditional Gothic.

It's more of a twisted love triangle between a soldier, a witch, and a sexy fairy princess.

(That being said, I did ask Richard to delete one scene which I thought was too horrific for this particular book. It was indeed at odds with the overall tone of the story.)

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mockingbird Lane news.

...looks like he series is dead but we'll see the pilot soon, sometime around Halloween.

4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Titus Welliver To Co-Star In ‘Last Ship’ Pilot

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Science Fiction doesn't have to be "smart" or "thought provoking". You don't even have to "learn" anything. The key is in the two words that make up the term: "Science" and "Fiction".

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I don't know. Any definition of sf that excludes ALIEN, THE THING, and H. G. Wells (!) seems a little restrictive to me, not to mention divorced from the entire history of the genre.

7. Temis the Vorta

8. Kegg

Kegg Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well whether or not you consider it thought provoking, Starship Troopers is a satire with the subtelty of a sledgehammer about how war makes fascists of us all. An ending that had the characters try to understand the aliens would undercut their intentional nastiness.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2012
  9. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

SF is a mode (aka style) of writing where something fantastic is nonetheless supposed to be natural. Horror is a genre (aka narrative form) of writing where the goal is to horrify (scare and/or disgust) the reader. The statement that SF has been bound up with horror is quite correct. We could also add that SF has been bound up with satire since its inspirations in Lucian of Samosata, Cyrano de Bergerac and Swift's Gulliver's Travels. And SF has been bound up with utopia stories as well, as in More's Utopia and Bacon's New Atlantis. But those other things make SF rather unlike fantasy, even though both have the fantastic.

10. Edit_XYZ

Edit_XYZ Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Considering the lack of news, it's highly unlikely it will materialize.

11. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Hmmm...You must've watched a different version of Starship Troopers, than I did, because they did capture a Giant "Lady Parts" bug, and Sky Marshall Doogie did use his Telepathic Voodoo to learn about the Bugs. And the whole movie is a Fascism Satire, so of course we learn something about Mankind and ideologies through self examination.

12. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The problem here is that there are two separate things under discussion: The definition of terms and whether multiple terms can be applied to one thing. The answer, of course, is that multiple can be applied to one thing. The confusion arises, in part, because in TV and movies things that are labeled Science Fiction are really Horror or Action or Fantasy with either secondary SF elements or simply the use of SF tropes. This gives people the wrong idea about what SF means.

Incidentally, there is a dedicated Horror channel called Chiller. Also, there is Fear.net, which is available on On Demand on Comcast, and perhaps elsewhere.

I hope that's not the case.

13. Temis the Vorta

Another Alice in Wonderland series in development.

(For those keeping score, it's NBC vs CW.)

I dunno, I think NBC should leave the fairy tale style shows to the CW and ABC and go for something with more guy appeal. The Munsters reboot was the right idea, but maybe go with a monster themed show that's more horrific and less cute & funny.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't hold The CW in as much disdain as a lot of people around here (Nikita, Supernatural, and The Vampire Diaries are some of my favorite shows), but this one does some sound a little more interesting than what I've heard about The CW version.

15. AviTrek

AviTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The bigger news is ABC Studios making a show for NBC. If that trend continues maybe CBS would make a Star Trek show for NBC, Fox, or TNT.

16. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

^that happens all the time.

17. Temis the Vorta

Given the
    Agent Coulson
    news today, here's how we get Star Trek back on TV: kill off a well liked character In the next movie (could be Spock, but if Karl Urban will do TV, McCoy's a great choice) and then use that to leverage interest in that character as the TV lead, however it can be contrived.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

It should be Sulu, because Cho does TV and everyone will get that Captain Sulu series they yammer on about. ;)

19. Temis the Vorta

I could go with a Sulu show.

1313 Mockingbird Lane trailer:

[yt]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=gDmHcG8vq6Q[/yt]

20. Temis the Vorta

Defiance teaser:

[yt]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tkpyeDks-m0[/yt]

Hard to get a read on that one yet. Trying to ape the nuBSG style, at least in the teaser, perhaps in the show, might backfire on them by setting expectations too high. I'll be looking for an answer to the question: Why Should I Care?