First World Problems

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by teacake, Apr 15, 2013.

1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

So this is my most lamest ever first world problem:

At the end of last winter my heater had some huge problem and I got repair guy out to fix it. He charged me 80.00 to do this and when he was done he whipped out his trusty Carbon Monoxide tester and informed me that the heater had FAILED. But, don't worry, we weren't all brain damaged from blasting the thing all winter long, it's just that accepted government rate for monoxide exuding from home heaters was now 0% and my .01% reading meant he had to rip the guts out of the thing to make it unusable BY LAW and how would I like to pay the 80.00. So 1080.00 later I had a new heater. And tonight it was finally cold enough to turn it on.

I have been sitting in the same seat to watch the telly since I moved into this house, sitting in the same seat MY SEAT sucking down the carbon monoxide because this seat is facing the heater and that's why it's my seat, because it is the warmest. Well tonight I popped in a movie I hadn't seen in years (Igby Goes Down, mysteriously Sarandon has become hot since I last watched this ?!) and settled in front of the glorious heat and.. wtf. The fan is now on bottom of the new heater and all the freaking air is blasting into my face!! It is horrible. It is actually blowing hot air like a jet at me in my personal warmest seat and has now rendered my seat unusable. Yes actually unusable. So unusable that no one else will ever want to sit in this seat during the winter and I will be reduced to fighting over the other seats like a common child.

So what's your dumbest first world problem. Please, no posting about your terminal illness, this is for shallow people only.

2. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The left headphone for my Ipod has stopped working meaning that I will have to BORROW some headphones off my housemate as there is no way I am going running this evening without musical accompaniment.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

You will get your housemate's ear germs. His WAX and ear hairs will enter your ears.

4. Sigokat

Sigokat Commander Red Shirt

I'm currently stationed in Afghanistan (US Army Officer)

I have my own room and free wi-fi internet, but the internet sucks and is slow and therefore I have problems on Skype when I want to see/talk to family back home. Even though it is free, I have regular internet at my duty work place (but restrictive on certain websites), free phone calls back to the states, I still get pissed about not being able to Skype very well.

I still consider this a first world problem even though I'm in a third world country since it is internet (I bet the Afghans right outside the wire have better internet than we do :) )

5. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I know but the earliest I'll be able to drive to the shops to buy some more is tomorrow. TOMORROW.

6. thestrangequark

thestrangequark Admiral Admiral

I haven't played Facebook Scrabble since EA Games bought it and made it look like Words With Friends, because the color scheme is so ugly it hurts my eyes.

7. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I have a USB mouse that sometimes freezes. I have to lean over and UNPLUG it. And then PLUG IT BACK IN AGAIN to make it work.

8. Captain_Nick

Captain_Nick Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to flip my USB sticks three times before they'll go into the damn socket

9. not

not Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

"this is for shallow people only"....perfect! I need to get to 50 posts to get rid of the "50 posts message and frankly, I forgot what it is for but I'm at 49

10. not

NOW 50! Magic happen!!

11. thestrangequark

Yeah...I know it's probably just confirmation bias, but it really does seem that I try the wrong side every fucking time. I do the exact same thing when I try to connect my insulin infusion set to my body.

Maybe there is actually something about a USB design that does cause people to attempt to put it in the wrong way up more often than not? Some quality that is on the bottom of the USB that we usually associate with being on the top of things.

12. ByrdMan

ByrdMan Commodore Commodore

I've been having trouble setting up a VPN connection with my new laptop, so today I actually had to put on pants and drive into the office.

13. not

A paint pen is your friend. A dot of silver paint or any color that contrasts will make your life less 1st world. I also mark what any connection device is used for.

14. thestrangequark

^But then what would we have to bitch about?

15. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

*sad sigh*

Everyone has USB sticks that look the same no matter which way round they are except me. I can't even bitch about that.

:(

16. not

I'll give you my list ;-)

17. Garrovick

Garrovick Commander Red Shirt

I've been watching episodes of ENT on Netflix and sometimes it can take up to 10 seconds to load an episode before watching. I hate that.

18. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I ate microwave popcorn for lunch since the refrigerator was another seven steps away and making a sandwich just seemed too complicated.

19. B.J.

B.J. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unfortunately, not all USB ports are oriented in the same direction. Pretty sure my home computer's ports are opposite from my work computer's. Then there's the ones sticking out from the sides of my monitors.....

20. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I live right above the kitchen of a 24 hour coffee shop/cafe, I almost never turn my heater on (a few days every winter). However the apartment permanately smells like coffee, and I have become a coffee dependent freak. Rarely touched the stuff before I moved here.

I spend more on coffee in a year, than I ever would have to heat my apartment. Hardly a economical trade off.