PROMETHEUS - Grade and Discuss

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Roshi, May 30, 2012.

?

Prometheus - Poll

Poll closed May 30, 2013.
  1. A +

6.9%
  2. A

11.6%
  3. A -

13.8%
  4. B +

18.5%
  5. B

14.2%
  6. B -

9.1%
  7. C +

8.2%
  8. C

3.4%
  9. C -

6.5%
  10. D

5.2%
  11. F

2.6%
  1. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

And X-men First Class doesn't end where X-men began and yet its still a prequel to it.

2. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Again, I think the varying difference between the definition of "prequel" being cited here is more philosophical than literal.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I think the real issue is that for some, the sole interest in this was hope it would have direct connections to ALIEN. Meaning the same planet and the actual xenomorphs.

I am not in that group. I am a casual fan of the original at most. The idea of a film being in the same universe but with different characters and no real plot connections is interesting.

For me the real question, is this a movie that works on its own terms? Will it appeal to me personally and do I have a strong desire to even see it in the theater. I am not sure of that yet. I would have to hear its a must see for anyone. Beyond fanish hype.

4. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

In my opinion it fails as a prequel and it fails on its own terms as well.

5. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Funny. Two friends of mine went to see the movie today. One was not convinced and the other wants to see the sequel!
    Looks like this'll be the kind of reaction we will get concerning that movie.

6. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

^^^ Definitely sounds like what's going on here. Either people love it or it's not worth their time. Doesn't seem to be much in the way of a middle ground going on.

I don't suppose anyone can now confirm or deny (even in spoiler code) about the infamous "push ups" scene, hmmm? :whistle:

7. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Meredith Vickers does her push ups immediately after cryo-sleep. But she's not naked, she's in cryo-panties.

8. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

For me thats the ultimate arbiter. I've never felt that Alien needed a prequel. It's a self-contained story that works very well on its own.

Now if Prometheus has some connection to Alien then fine. But ultimately I'm interested in seeing a good space adventure. From what I've seen so far this might have the makings of a good time at the movies. How enjoyable it'll be remains to be seen, but I'm interested in seeing on the big screen.

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I suspect the people who go in expecting just a fun little scifi thriller are probably going to enjoy it the most.

The more hardcore scifi fans, who want something that lives up to the brilliance of the original movie, or that shares the same style and tone, are probably going to have the biggest issues with it.

10. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Just came back from it. It was solid, I really really enjoyed it BUT - there was nothing here that made my chest thump and brain race. This film did not get me excited, which is a little bit of a shame. The trailers did give away a LOT of the big points which sucked. There is still some stuff there to make you go "ooo", but overall I'd say about 50% of the big stuff is ruined plain as day in the trailer, and having seen the film another 20% is there even if you don't realize what it is.

Don't get me wrong. It IS a great film, and is worthy of being connected to the Alien franchise in a prequel-ish way (c'mon it IS. Sort of. It's more of a prequel than its not). The way it leads to a possible sequel is not what I would called hackneyed or tacked on, it works. It certainly adds too Alien as a film, and does not detract in any way.

11. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Please put this in spoilers, yes or no, is there ANY scene no matter how minute that shows a xenomorph?

12. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Yes and no. Sorry about that half-assed answer... An Engineer does get infected but there's still one or two mutations missing. The scene takes place at the very end of the movie.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

What mutenroshi said.

It's Xenomorph-ish. Like mutenroshi said, its certainly a few evolutions removed, but the impression I got from the film was that this only happened because of the actions of our human heroes, so in a way - humanity created the Xenomorph via the events of this film. At least, thats what I got from it.

15. Dac

Dac Commodore Commodore

Just read that Den of Geek review. While, yes, everything they mention IS an issue, its certainly worth more than 2 out of 5. That's just stupid. Even when reading it I didn't get the impression they were gonna give it that low a rating. It deserves 3 out of 5. I enjoyed it enough to give it a 4 (I gave it an A here). It isn't perfect, but what it serves up is quite literally the primordial ooze of Alien - so while it doesnt quite form into the whole package, the elements are there and while they are disjointed they're still very much entertaining.

16. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I really didn't like it. Everything that happened was idiotic. The crew were idiots, some scenes were just stupidly unbelievable. Motives and the reasons things happen within the film just don't work for me. It's one of those films where the more thought I put in to it the less I like it and I wasn't all that impressed to begin with.

17. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Of course the crew are idiots! They're basically Red Shirts.

18. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Loved it. I saw two reviews on sites I frequent, and though and I didn't read them as to not be spoiled even in the slightest, and had a look at their final marks, both 3/5.

After seeing it, that's yet another reason why I don't bother reading reviews. That was fucking brilliant, the visuals alone had my mouth open wide for 2 hours, and so for anyone who didn't like it, I don't really care.
    Not saying its the best film ever made, but a big thumbs up from me

19. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

There was a point where I thought we were in a dream sequence, and that sequence never ended, it was at that point I just switched off caring. Yes the visuals were great, the design was good, the actors, for the most part, did a great job with what they were given, but I dunno, too stupid to live means too stupid to care in this case.

20. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Just seen on IMDB its not out in the US till *next* Friday.
    First Avengers 8 days before, Snow White two days early, and now this. Been a pretty lucky summer here :D

Oh and just seen Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter is out two days earlier here too. Amazing Spider-Man and Dark Knight Rises are the same day at least