Inner Light Sequel Comic "The Outer Light"

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by 22 Stars, Apr 9, 2012.

1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

2. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

A follow-up to Inner Light is a must read as far as I'm concerned, as long as it's relevant and/or true to the original story.

I don't worry about the artwork in comics, so many different styles. The story is more important.

Thanks for posting this.

3. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The artwork is pretty alternative, not very mainstream, which to me kind of reflects the fact that the Inner Light isn't your typical Trek fare. Additionally, the broad strokes and heavy paints look fairly tribal and historical, as if you'd find similar work in the art of a cultural museum, which I think is pretty fitting considering the archival nature of the probe.

Yeah, I may be gasping at straws, but that's what I think. I'd like to give this comic a shot.

4. milo bloom

milo bloom Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The varied and beautiful Chicagoland suburbs.
    Artistic styles are one thing, but the shape of the saucer of the Ent-D was confusing at first (I thought it was the Ent-E), and why are Conn and Ops standing stations, with nobody but Geordi at them?

I know, I know, minor details shouldn't detract from a good story, but sometimes the story can't be enjoyed if minor details are so badly wrong.

5. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

With enough differences, they can claim it's NOT Star Trek, and therefore not get into trouble with copyright laws and such.

6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Uhh, no, because the text explicitly references "Captain Jean-Luc Picard of the USS Enterprise." And despite variations of artistic style, there's no question that the images are meant to represent the characters and sets from ST:TNG. It's just an impressionistic way of rendering them, as we've seen in other Trek comics in the past, like that official movie-prequel mini-comic from Wired magazine a few years ago.

As long as the comic is being published for free, without any attempt to profit, it's the sort of thing that Paramount/CBS generally allows to exist, like Phase II and other fan films.

7. bbailey861

bbailey861 Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to seeing where this goes.

8. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

Looks good enough to try out.

My only nitpick would be the "Enterprise-D" on the cover.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2012
  9. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Thanks for the heads up, 22 Stars. I had missed this one on TrekMovie.com.

10. Cyke101

http://img.trekmovie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/Ch1_Page3_Final.jpg

I forgot to add, this might be creative licence on the artist's part, but I like how Riker's top seems to be a light jacket of sorts with an undershirt in the first panel. I've lamented about the TNG uniforms looking a bit dated because of its colors, but having it be a bit more laid back, with a somewhat loose but standing collar and a relaxed but still fitted cut (definitely less formal and thinner than Picard's jacket) would help balance out the color, I think. Relaxed, but still within regulation. If not that, it would be good for away missions as a field jacket. To compare, Geordi's uniform is much closer to the actual uniform in the same panel.

11. Ar-Pharazon

^ Geordi's top too, to a lesser extent. Could be the same uniforms, just opened a bit at the top.

12. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

My pleasure, glad to help.

I agree about the Enterprise on the cover, to be honest when i saw it at first glance, it looked more like the underside of the Starbase in ST III.

When I read stories like this, if I don't particularly care for the visual style they are told in, I just picture it as an episode, lord knows we have seen enough TNG to just 'see' it as if they shot it.

That being said, i applaud the artistic efforts and this effort in general.

13. Cyke101

Yeah, most likely. Riker's opened collar made me imagine perhaps having a zipper in the front for that looser look. But I like that Riker's open collar goes below the clavicle without evoking a cheesy 70s look.

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Glad to see it. Not a huge fan of the artwork though.

15. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Some fans have never recovered from WildStorm's "DS9: n-Vector" mini-series.

16. Ar-Pharazon

Don't know if anyone is still following this. I had forgotten about it for a while. Chapters 2-4 are up, with chapter 5 coming in a couple weeks.

The artwork is still the weak point for me, the surprised Picard at the end of chapter 2 looks truly awful.

Still an interesting story, even if I can't imagine where it's going.

Chapter 2
    Chapter 3
    Chapter 4

17. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Interesting, I'll have to give this one a look-over.

The art in it looks pretty horrible, though. In the first four pages linked in the OP the final panel with Riker looking "surprised" at the vessel on the viewscreen looks less "surprised" and more like "just saw Michael Moore naked riding a unicycle."

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Oh great.

Anyone got a few extra gallons of brain bleach, so I can wash that image out of my mind :eek:

19. Ar-Pharazon

^ Maybe the unicycle also had no seat ;)

20. Satyrquaze

Satyrquaze Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to say the fact that the artist insists on putting the saucer section on the star-drive section sideways really annoys me. That really is my only quibble about the artwork.