Coto Drama Sold To Fox
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Braga Inks Deal
By: T'Bonz on Sep 12

Remastered Original Series Re-release
By: T'Bonz on Sep 11

UK Trek Ships Calendar Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Sep 10

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old July 10 2013, 07:47 PM   #361
Davros
Fleet Admiral

Re: Why are Creationists so afraid of Evolution?

RyanKCR wrote: View Post
Davros wrote: View Post
3 quotes saying not to judge vs one possible in favor of judging. Add to those the "offer no resistance to the wicked" line and my argument looks stronger and stronger.
"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."
That's one of the quotes I was using if you were not paying attention. It only further supports my argument about you needing to deal with your own sins before you call out the sins of others.

"Do not judge by appearances, but judge with right judgment."
Right judgement being that of a person who has already dealt with their own issues.

“If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.”
Fine if you have already dealt with your own failings. So until you are perfect, don't worry about other people's burden of sin. You have your own to carry.

I still don't understand how you feel you can judge what or who a Christian is if you don't believe in it,
One does not have to believe in a system to understand how it works. Understanding can often lead to disbelief.
Old July 10 2013, 07:58 PM   #362
Awesome Possum
I've Rebooted Myself

View Awesome Possum's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Awesome Possum Send a message via AIM to Awesome Possum

One does not have to believe in a system to understand how it works. Understanding can often lead to disbelief.
Reading the Bible is what lead to to not believe a single word of it. I'm shocked anyone can read it and not see it as nonsense and that's ignoring the talking snakes, boats with Gallifreyian technology and demon possession.
These are the spectacular adventures of Space Dandy and his brave space crew. In space.
Awesome Possum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 08:04 PM   #363
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

3 quotes saying not to judge vs one possible in favor of judging. Add to those the "offer no resistance to the wicked" line and my argument looks stronger and stronger.
"You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother’s eye."
That's one of the quotes I was using if you were not paying attention. It only further supports my argument about you needing to deal with your own sins before you call out the sins of others.

Right judgement being that of a person who has already dealt with their own issues.

“If your brother sins, rebuke him, and if he repents, forgive him.”
Fine if you have already dealt with your own failings. So until you are perfect, don't worry about other people's burden of sin. You have your own to carry.

I still don't understand how you feel you can judge what or who a Christian is if you don't believe in it,
You neither of you get the idea that a parable is intended to be interpreted, do you? What I mean is every reader is supposed to make their own interpretation. There are no absolutes in the bible which is why modern insistence that it is fact rather than dictum is so wrong.
Old July 10 2013, 08:15 PM   #364
J. Allen
Taste The Rainbow™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Deckerd wrote: View Post

You neither of you get the idea that a parable is intended to be interpreted, do you? What I mean is every reader is supposed to make their own interpretation. There are no absolutes in the bible which is why modern insistence that it is fact rather than dictum is so wrong.
That's a fair viewpoint, save for the issue where Creationists are trying to wedge their way into the science class, and in other areas of knowledge and information. These people aren't "interpreting," they're "literaling."
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 10 2013, 10:24 PM   #365
Deckerd
Fleet Arse

I wholly agree that religion has no place in science education. Whether it should be taught at all in school is up to the parents and I wouldn't wish to dictate to them what their children are taught any more than they should interfere with the science curriculum. Ideology has no place in science since it is anathema to the procedure of research.
Old July 12 2013, 12:55 AM   #366
Miss Chicken
Little three legged cat with attitude

Though this isn't about creationism it does show what sort of nonsense Islamic scientists have to cope with from Islamic fundamental 'scientists'.

Miss Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 08:12 AM   #367
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Same tune, Same dance.

It would be amusing if it we're not so sad.

However it could be really funny to let a Christian fundi and that guy argue with each other.
Timelord Victorious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 10:00 AM   #368
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

I think that Geocentrism should be taught in public schools as an alternative to Heliocentrism. Kids should have all the facts.
Old July 12 2013, 10:13 AM   #369
stoneroses
Rear Admiral

Why do creationists look so unevolved - bill hicks

http://communities.msn.com/infograpismo
stoneroses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 12 2013, 03:39 PM   #370
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Miss Chicken wrote: View Post
Though this isn't about creationism it does show what sort of nonsense Islamic scientists have to cope with from Islamic fundamental 'scientists'.
At least it tells me that he's in the extreme position within the Islamic community. He does say that he rejects the modern science "that is taught in schools".