Season SEVEN OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Actually, BillJ is right on this one. You may have forgotten this, but both the Director and the VP of Multimedia at CBS TV Distribution did say pretty much exactly that about two years ago when they were interviewed by TrekCore:

Now that was two years ago, so there's that. The primary thing that's changed in the two years since they made these statements is that Seasons 2-6 of TNG have come out and sold quite a bit less than Season 1. So maybe that changes the calculus somewhat... as in, it no longer matters how well TNG does because they can't use it as a point in their favor when making the pitch to their bosses.

These guys together have overseen the HD remastering of over 200 CBS/Paramount TV series, many with much, much smaller fan bases than DS9. They're pushing as hard as they can for DS9, fighting the good fight as it were, it's just that their new bosses* aren't ready to allocate the money (which CBS has plenty of, to be sure**) for the budget they need to do the job right, ala TNG-R.

* Note that the two execs mentioned by Ryan Adams have left CBS and been promoted, respectively, since the interview. I believe the person in charge today is Armando Nuñez, who is President and CEO of CBS Global and he oversees CBS TV Distribution and reports directly to Leslie Moonves, the President and CEO of CBS Corp. So there's a completely different guy they have to get the greenlight from than the two mentioned in the interview who greenlit TNG-R.

** For perspective, shares of CBS stock have gone up nearly 200% in the three years that have elapsed since the TNG project was announced in September of 2011. CBS Corp's net income is $1.879 billion. DS9 could be remastered for less than 1% of that, or just over half of Les Moonves' nearly $30 million 2013 bonus. (Moonves is the second most highly paid executive in the United States.) Just having a bit of fun here. :lol:

2. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Thanks for the quote, Maxwell, I hadn't seen that one, but fans are still reading too much into it. Some fans on this board seem to have come away from it with "good TNG sales = automatic DS9" and "bad sales = no DS9." Totally simplistic, and the above quote doesn't say that. The guys are responding to Trekcore's prompt about what fans can do to show interest. Fans have thus concluded -- based on the faulty assumtion that a certain number BD sets sold will automatically trigger DS9 -- that TNG sales must be disappointing because DS9 isn't being rushed into production.

Here's all we know:

1) The final TNG set will be released soon.

2) The earlier seasons sold better than the later season, but how this compares to other BD series released or exactly what CBS's expectations were, no one seems to know.

3) The studio currently has no plans to remaster DS9.

That's it. That's all we know. Anything more than that is pure speculation.

What the sales of TNG sets tell the studio is whether or not a massive remastering project like this one is worth their effort, which will be a big factor, certainly, in the consideration of future remastering projects, including DS9. But ultimately, DS9 getting remastered depends more on the demand for DS9 than on the demand for TNG.

3. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would like to see how the sales fare after it's fully released. I know of several people waiting for a box set of the entire series, not wanting to buy one season at a time over 2 years. I don't understand wanting to wait those additional years, but whatever.

There will be a bump in sales, and it's just a matter of size. Christmas sales should help as well.

If we don't hear a peep by June, then it's probably not going to happen.

4. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Ahh it's like the DS9 thread in here again :p

Back to TNG, I think it's going to be interesting to see how the ENT-D Alternate from AGT looks in HD...
    It seems in a future where the Klingons have defeated the Romulans (I believe something like that was mentioned anyway...) The Feds feel the need to put a huge M-F phaser cannon on the front of the Galaxy class on top of its pre-existing phaser strips and weapons.
    Makes me wonder what kind of upgrades other starfleet ships of this future got?
    Is the Excelsior class similarly armed? Is the Nebula Class now so top heavy with extra weaponry it's banned from going near any planetary body that exerts gravity lest it topple over and be impossible to navigate?
    Has the Oberth class been upgraded to where it now is somewhat good looking and somehow useful to starfleet?

It makes me ache they felt the need to put a 3rd Nacelle on it though, ruining the symmetry of all Starfleet ships.
    If you're going to add nacelles, at least add 2 more so it looks good again!

Does any of the VAM reveal the design logic that went into this variant, or was it just a case of "We're near the end of the series now, just bolt bits on it so it looks different please"

5. Admiral Bear

Admiral Bear Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I wouldn't imagine that any 7 season box set would retail for much less than $350. Given what you can now buy the individual seasons for, at least in the UK, a box set at that price would be a waste of time. Aside from that, $350 in one go on something like this is a huge outlay for most people.

This is why I've bought the individual seasons for relative small change when and where I can get them. . .UK, Switzerland, Italy, Norway.

6. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

It would probably be closer to $750USD. Right now the SRP for the complete TOS series is $321USD (with Amazon.com discounting it to $81.81USD today).

7. Maxwell Everett

Just a heads up for those interested:

The Complete TNG Blu-ray set just recently went up on Amazon UK and is currently £219.99. Though, when I put in my cart and go through checkout it says it's £186.41 or $302.83. That's $43.26 a season.

Star Trek: The Next Generation: Complete Seasons 1-7 Blu-ray

8. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

MSRP is a joke, and not to be taken seriously. If not, then every DVD and Blu-ray would be 34.95, which is not the case.

TNG complete set will retail for $250-300 tops.

9. Admiral Bear

At current exchange rates, $350 is £215, so I was about right.

Not sure why Amazon's quoting you £186.41 during checkout. It doesn't do it for me. :confused:

The first 6 seasons have cost me £180, so the boxset's more expensive than buying singularly especially at current UK prices for the earlier seasons, which really isn't playing the game, but I'm not surprised.

10. Maxwell Everett

Presumably because for me it's removing VAT (I'm in the US):

Items: £183.33
    Estimated Postage & Packaging: £3.08
    Total before VAT: £186.41
    VAT: £0.00
    Estimated Order Total: £186.41

11. Admiral Bear

VAT. . of course *facepalm*

I can't believe Amazon UK were only going to charge you £3.08 for postage of 7 seasons from the UK to the US, unless they send you a US warehouse copy.

12. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The boxset is about £25 cheaper than the current Amazon UK prices of individual seasons added up (although that includes the £55 pre-order price for season 7!). I'll be surprised if the boxset doesn't come down before or shortly after release.

If that's the maximum it will cost, that's a pretty good start. Bear in mind, the seasons were £50 each on release - the complete set could have been £350!

Glad to see it's getting a release, anyway. I prefer the smaller packaging.

13. Admiral Bear

14. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Just recently saw quotes by some behind the scenes bluray peeps, and they still say buying stng Blu-rays can get ds9 remastered.

15. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

^^ :techman:

I did notice some frustration over at Trekcore regarding the complete seasons card box packaging.

Here is a suggestion: Get yourself the original field equipment style (apparently inspired by these components in the side corridor of the TNG transporter room) DVD boxes from the first European wide realease for a bargain.

Then remove the PAL DVDs and replace these with the corresponding Blu-rays. Put the DVDs in the Blu-ray card box and donate these (will only work in PAL territories, though :() to a good cause.

Last I checked, these original and unique collector's boxes are still available via Amazon Germany (Amazon UK has better prices, but they seem to have run out of the later seasons) or perhaps France, Italy etc., too.

The only downside is that the jewel case holder (transparent jewel cases glued on carton paper which shows the Sternbach blueprints deck by deck of the Enterprise-D) features very rigid holding hubs, so you got to be careful when putting discs in or taking these out.

Bob

16. Ysmalari

Ysmalari Ensign Red Shirt

A nice idea, I have those original DVD boxsets but ended up backing-up the discs so I didn't have to use the originals for the very reason you describe. The plastic holders for the discs are so rigid and snap into the disc so hard that the heavier use seasons (read 3 to 6!) all have discs with cracks and damage to the plastic around the centre hole of the DVD. I was always very careful with the discs but the damage seemed unavoidable; maybe I just watched them too much :lol:

With the considerable investment in the bluray seasons I wouldn't recommend using them.

17. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

It only happened to one of my DVDs when I was in a haste and didn't pay attention. But I agree, there is a certain risk involved, but you could probably use thin CD trays or the like instead as an alternative.

I just think it's the box itself which is a truly unique and appropriate storage and display for a fine Blu-Ray collection such as this, YMMV. :)

Bob

18. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's also worth noting that you could store an extra Blu-ray disc in those cases, since the DVD sets comprise seven discs. A handy slot for putting the standalone double-episodes alongside their respective seasons!

19. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

20. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I'm starting to get antsy waiting for my fix. Still over a month away? Ooohh!