Matt Smith's Departure Confirmed.

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Jun 1, 2013.

1. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well if she didn't stick around, she'd be the shortest running main companion of the revival series. She's brand new to the show, I wouldn't be surprised if she stuck around for the ninth series too.

2. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

I've only been touting Idris Elba because of Suranne Jones character's name in "The Doctor's Wife". It has nothing to do with that paper.

3. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Adam lasted one trip.

4. Green Lantern

Idris Elba would be a perfect doctor. Besides, white people are now a minority in London, so there's most likely other cities and towns with less white people than other races. So a black doctor would be a good move as it connects with children of different ethnics.

Besides I don't want Elba as the doctor just because he's black, I want him as the doctor because I think he'd do a good job.

5. Green Lantern

Or two adventures.

I meant main companions which got like action figures and stuff. Do you remember a picture of Adam on the series 1 box set? Me neither. Jack on Doctor Who itself didn't last as long either (not counting his post Eccleston adventures though there). If you did though, Jack would be about the same as Coleman by now. By he never was really a main companion either.

6. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a big fan of Elba, think he is a fantastic actor, but what examples of his work would you use to exemplify his suitability to the role of the Doctor?

I just really don't see why the obsession with him in particular.

7. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

In what way? What parts has he played in the past that lead you to think he'd be a good Doctor? What idiosyncrasies of his are particularly Doctor-like? What are the elements of the Doctor's core characteristics that Idris Elba would be able to portray convincingly. In what way would he be "a perfect Doctor", besides the fact that he's talented?

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That would be fucking incredible.

I don't want Idris Elba. I want an idiosyncratic, eccentric, off-beat performer. The Doctor shouldn't be played by a traditional TV leading man we see all the time. My ideal choice would be the bloke that plays Varys in Game of Thrones as a darker, manipulative, yet funny Doctor in the vein of the Seventh.

My only condition is that the next Doctor HAS to be older.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Varys looks too much like Dorium Maldovar, IMO - it'd be impossible to tell them apart!

10. DalekJim

Well, one is blue :p.

11. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

It was a nice ride. Wonder if Moff will consider leaving with his Doctor.

Here's some Docs to see next.

Hugh Laurie

James Callis

Patrick Stewart

12. Venardhi

I'll pass on Varys-Doctor. More along the lines of Littlefinger however. . .

13. Green Lantern

Luthor. He'd be similar to Eccleston's Doctor. Yes Doctor Who is a family sci-fi show and Luthor is an adult detective show, but just because he's not been in something like Dr. Who does not meant he can't play the role.
    But the doctor has always been an eccentric character. Second Doctor: a clown like almost childish doctor whom dressed like a tramp. Seems a bit eccentric to me. Third Doctor: A middle aged man who wears silk and cloths that make Elton John look just a little bit more normal. If that's not eccentric, I don't know what is. Fourth Doctor: A grown man who carries a bad of jelly babies with him and wears a giant scarf while acting like a child a lot of the time. Eccentric to you? Fifth Doctor: A young man wearing a Edwardian cricketing outfit. Seems just a little eccentric you agree? Sixth Doctor: Do I really need to explain? A man who made rag dolls look like Victorian gentlemen. Seventh Doctor: A man with question marks all over a jumper and an umbrella with a question ark insignia on top of it. That's eccentric for sure. Eighth Doctor: a polite young man with an Edwardian gentlemen's outfit on. Eccentric to you, or do you see loads of people wondering around in that get up? Ninth Doctor: Yeah, a little eccentric. Tenth Doctor: Very dramatic and eccentric, which I love. Eleventh Doctor: Very eccentric. Bow ties, fish custard, fezzes, other headgear, and most likely the most childish doctor ever.

So the majority of the doctors if not all of them had at least a little bit of an eccentric side to them.

14. Venardhi

Work on your reading comprehension there sport.

So you're basically saying that because you like him as DCI Luther, he would be a good Doctor. He may well be, but it isn't a compelling argument.

There are just so many fantastic actors out there, I dont see why Elba has become the object of so much fan-casting affection.

15. DalekJim

I don't want another gritty, brooding actor. I want a weird one similar to my favourite Doctors Sylvester McCoy, Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton.

Being black isn't enough to make him interesting or fresh. Idris is a traditional TV leading man.

16. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

That paper actually brings up a problem for using a black Doctor, for the folks that complain about the racism of the show. One of the complaints of Racism levied is about his reaction to Martha being told not to worry about being suspected of being a slave and to just walk around like she owns the place. Well, if the Doctor was black, you'd have that whole complaint magnified tenfold for most adventures set in the past.

I'd be fine with a black Doctor, but, it wouldn't address that concern, if they truly believe it.

17. DalekJim

I'd rather we had a Chinese/Japanese/Korean Doctor than a black one as that would just feel like a reactionary move out of political correctness. Fans are always listing any famous black man with an English accent when it's time for speculation. None of the choices are ever good. Remember Patterson Joseph? Da fuck!?

18. Venardhi

A black or brown Doctor walking around freely throughout history really isn't that unrealistic. He is generally well dressed, well spoken, has the proper paperwork to be whatever he needs to be and speaks with enough authority to make just about anyone think twice about just arresting him and tossing him shackles. There are a few particular points in history he might want to be extra careful in, but I'd imagine being white would have its downfalls in certain times and places too. Unless he pulls off the "I am the harbinger of your god" maneuver every time he runs into a pre-colonial non-european society I should think most of history is actually just as dangerous as a white man.

19. DalekJim

If we had to have a black Doctor then I'd fully expect a preachy, Quantum Leap-esque episode where The Doctor is subjected to racism and we the audience learn that racism is wrong.

I'm not against the concept, it just smells of desperation. I am against the idea of a female Doctor though. Too camp an idea for me.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

First of all, that Doctor Who is Rascist article is a steaming pile of bullshit. Second, their claim that the Doctor telling Martha to "walk like you own the place" to avoid rascism is offensive is also a steaming pile of bullshit, which reeks to me as someone looking for reasons to be offended.

While it's true, a black man may not have as easy a time in Earth's history as a white man, I don't see why the show should have to dwell on this. First of all, on average, how often a year does Doctor Who do stories set in the past? Season 7 had 6 out of 14. And of those 6, only 3 were before the 20th century. So, there's three times a year the Doctor might be in a situation where he might run into hostility based on his skin colour. But really, once the shit starts going down, and it's clear the Doctor's the one with all the answers, I'm sure all the characters will forget what colour his skin is, if it was even an issue for them to begin with.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2013