DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

nah, not cancelled. just that for some reason you can't subscribe to certain titles any longer. not sure what the logic is, other than DC wanting you to buy 'core' titles.

2. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

If the number of subscriptions falls below a certain point, it's simply not cost effective for DC to handle the subscriptions due to economies of scale. My hunch is that's the reason.

3. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

Justice League 9 better be going in a "White Martian" direction, as the alternate cover suggests, and not what the art on the last page suggested. The Shazam backup is getting better. The Bolland art is a treat.

Wonder Woman is clearly heading somewhere other than where the people screaming about the "rapey rapey Amazons" think it's going.

Red Hood was amusing as always, although one inadvertently amusing detail stands out: the footnote to Mr Freeze declaring that he's motivated by love, which directs readers to Batman Annual # 1. Yes, because decades of the character's development would fail to answer that question. DC really seems to think it's acquiring young readers under 18 doesn't it?

4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm a little confused about the news that a major character will be coming out of the closet. No objections really, but it seems to me that DC has done a pretty good job of incorporating gay characters into its universe already. They have even been making efforts to increase the range of skin tones in its books. (I guess we can't fault them for the lack of sales of Mr. Terrific and Static Shock.) Thoughts anyone?

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's Wally probably.

6. ncc71877

ncc71877 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thnik it will be Alan Scott on Earth 2.

I was reading Aquaman #8, and realized we haven't seen the 'new' Aqualad, or any Aqualad for that matter, in the New 52. All that effort to introduce him in Brightest Day and then he's sweep away. Of course we'll still a little foggy on whats "happened" in the five years and what hasn't. I mean Blackest Night happened but not the same way, if I read Green Lantern right. I liked the new Aqualad, sorry to see him gone, if he is gone.

ncc71877:borg:

7. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Which would be interesting, considering he's one of the few superheroes to have had a wife and freaking kids!

8. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think DC is making a big mistake by retconning an established hero into being gay.
    Either for political alignment or perceived headlines it's a bad move.

You have gay characters via Wildstorm. Pump them up, give them more visibility. Create someone new. I think there is more chance for backlash at doing this "just because" than anything else.

9. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was kind of surprised by this too, since they already have Batwoman, and they seemed to be trying to emphasize her quite a bit in the New 52.

10. Captain Craig

DC has gay characters. Good ones even. Just promote those. And at least two that are in active books with some visibility to them. The prior mentioned Batwoman being one. She's already liked is that a problem?
    Is Midnighter too violent?

11. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

I got this too (for my sub of Swamp Thing), I guess it's not cost effective to offer subs to more obscure titles. Kind of a shame because I thought there would be a market for it. I'll use it as an excuse to get back into GL.

12. Captain Craig

And Swamp Thing has been a better seller so then Legion fans may not need to worry about imminent cancellation.

13. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Met Scott Snyder at the Kapow comic convention the other day. What an awesome fellow.

Stood there for nearly 3 hours signing - well past the 2 hours he was scheduled for on the Saturday, with nearly the entire attendance wanting to get something signed. In fact so voracious were the audience that prices on pretty much anything with Snyder's name on it at the comic stands snuck up during the course of the Saturday - and were quickly snapped up!

Whilst signing my Batmans, Detective Comics, Severed's and anything else his pen could make a mark, on he stated he had two more large Court/Night of Owls size stories to tell on Batman and following the completion of the Swamp Thing/Animal story (around issues 15 I think) he said he had a similar level of scope for SW.

Add in the fact he said he had a new horror series starting with Vertigo planned for post Fall/Autumn, it looks like he is locked in at DC for some time!!

Hugo - clearly a Snyder fan ;)

14. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, his original Golden Age costume was, shall we say, rather...flamboyant.

15. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They could go with the old standby, Dr. Mid-Nite. But Midnighter and Dr. Mid-Nite both being Gay might confuse people. ;)

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe it's Krypto? :devil:

DC has had some homosexual characters before the launch that were characters first and homosexual second. I really hope that DC doesn't use this as a publicity stunt without ensuring some quality characterization to back it up. Their announcement about Batwoman was hyped a lot, but at least it had solid writing to back it up, with the 52 bunch, especially Greg Rucka, who made Kate Kane an awesome character first and foremost. I hope they take a lesson from this. We don't need another Rawhide Kid.

17. The Lensman

The Lensman Commodore Commodore

Agreed. With Marvel's announcement of openly gay Northstar getting married soon, (On The View no less), maybe DC's needs some kind of announcement to say "Hey! We have a gay character too."

Sort of like how they're always doing new #1 issues and restarts. It's got to be "fresh" and "now!", or it's old and stale.

18. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

word.

19. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Both Gay or both straight is less confusing than suitors lining up for the wrong rodeo if they're one of each.

Didn't Dr Midnight date Black Canary in the old 52?

20. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^
    The modern Dr. Mid-Nite, Pieter Cross dated Black Canary during the period where Ollie was dead. He stepped aside when Ollie returned.

His predecessor, Dr. Charles McNider was one of the few Golden Age characters never associated with a woman (Jay had Joan; Alan had Molly & Rose Canton, Jade and Obsidian's mother; Carter had Shayera; Al Pratt, the Atom, had Mary James; etc.). There was a fan theory, that DC squashed, that McNider was in the closet for most of his career.

Source

Andy Mangel's website just lists Dr. Mid-Nite under "proposals" but doesn't elaborate on it.