Niners Unite...around Babylon 5! - The Lost Threads

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Neroon, Aug 20, 2007.

1. Neroon

Neroon Mod of Balance Moderator

But Lurker's provides a nice tour guide for that journey regardless of how many times you've take it. It helps to clarify the road signs, explain the sights, caution you about detours, elaborate the inhabitants, etc.

2. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

The role of G'Kar's aide was a difficult one from the get-go. Mary Woronoth who played Ko D'Ath in 'Born to the Purple' had issues with the prosthetics and refused to wear the contact lenses and so met an unfortunate airlock accident.

There being a sudden hole in the casting, somebody on the crew (I don't remember who) contacted Julie Caitlyn Brown to fill in on an emergency basis-literally overnight, iirc. In fact, her first episode was done in the other actresses mask. Because of this, JCB wasn't bound by the same 5-year contract the rest of the actors were.

After a point, JCB became concerned about the effects of the prosthetics and chemicals on her face as well as being concerned about possibly losing opportunities for lead roles that would actually show her face so she asked to be released.

But there were still episodes coming up where JMS needed an aide for G'Kar, though, so they auditioned and hired Mary Kay Adams. Word is that she nailed Na'Toth's character in the auditions but made different choices when actually playing the part, softening her. Efforts were made to nudge her back to the way the character was originally played but then she was just written out.

As stated, you will see JCB again. Not just once, either. ;)

Jan

3. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The strange thing about Julie Brown problems with her make up was that she went straight to TNG to play another alien in Gambit along with Pat Tallmen.

4. Neroon

^ You know, you really should change your username to DWSG1B5F. ;)

5. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

I think that Gambit was filmed in 1993, wasn't it? JCB was in the credits for B5 through 1994. I think it was a matter of being exposed to the chemicals and having glue applied to her skin regularly, though.

Jan

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

LOL!!! I don't think I could remember a name that long for one thing. :guffaw: :guffaw:

7. Neroon

That sounds about right.

Makes me wonder what concessions JMS and Co. had to make in order to get her back into the makeup later on ....

It's a wonder that we don't see more of this, really. John Rhys Davies had a horrific time with his prosthetics in the LOTR films.

8. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

^

And, ya know, the glue used on Michael Dorn over the years changed the man's skin tone. He must have gotten a wheelbarrow full of cash to join DS9.

- edit, to add -

Alright, I'm watchin' 'Acts of Sacrifice' now, and after this, I'm takin' a bit of a break from Babylon 5.

Last night, something was buggin' me, and I couldn't put my finger on it 'til I got up out of bed & watched 'All Alone in the Night'. In my head, I was hearin' a voice other than Bruce Boxleitner's comin' out of Sheridan, and couldn't figure it out. I finally figured it out - the way Sheridan is bein' written and the accent Boxleitner has is eerily similiar to Michael Douglas in The American President.

I don't like it when a show drives me that nuts, so I'm goin' to pop in something else for a few days...

9. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Brent Stait had a terrible problem with his make up as Rev Bem on Andromeda, Virginia Hey had problems on Farscape. But I think those contacts create their own problems as well.

10. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

I'm getting a bit more into it now, the episode with the psychics was a bit lame especially the ending, but I enjoyed the episode after it with the anti-alien Earth people.

11. od0_ital

od0_ital Admiral Admiral

Alright, I've got my "something else" for the next few days.

Niners, unite around James Cameron's Dark Angel!

Jessica Alba is teh pretty.

:thumbsup:

12. Neroon

Can I ask specifically which episode you mean by "the psychics"? There are a couple whose description that could fit. I know you're probably not up on episode titles, but if you could give me a quick run-down of the plot.

13. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

^ Yeah, I was not certain about that either. I wasn't clear on whether Phily was talking about telepaths or the technomages or someone else.....

14. Neroon

Well, I can think of two telepath episodes that we might be talking about: "Mind War" and "A Race Through Dark Places". I'm thinking he's referring to the former, because the episode after that is "The War Prayer" which has a pretty strong element of Homeguard in it - the "anti-alien Earth people".

If that is correct Phily B, then the episode called "Mind War" has perhaps the line most descriptive of the entire series in it. From G'Kar to Catherine Sakai:

15. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    Repeated in one of the best moments of LOTR, too. At least, I thought it was a good moment.

16. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

[​IMG]

i've never actually seen her in anything, though.

is dark angel any good????

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Mal, stop derailing the thread with... with...

Well, I was objecting to something, but I seem to be unable to remember it now. I don't know what that says about me personally, but I'll tell you one thing, regardless of acting (in)ability, Jessica Alba is hot.

18. Phily B

Phily B Commodore Commodore

Yeah, I'm not good with titles and I'm trying to avoid spoilers. It had to do with the one rogue psychic and Chekov trying to capture him, it was ok now that I think about it - just a bit boring and I didn't like the ending, it was just a bit far out. The episode after was good though, which was the anti-alien earth alliance thing.

I've only just started on Season 1, and I'm about to move onto Episode 7 now.

19. Mal

Mal Commodore Commodore

and, just for the record, lexa is even hotter

[​IMG]

:devil:

:devil:

20. Neroon

Ahem... this thread is about Babylon 5? :wtf: