World Premiere/Advance screening discussions [SPOILERS GUARANTEED]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by M'Sharak, Apr 5, 2009.

1. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

nuBSG ran on cable, ENT on a big network. You just can't compare those numbers. While 3 million viewers where be very bad for ENT on UPN, on the Scifi Channel you can consider this as a success.

2. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think it'll be such an either/or thing. I don't see "new" and "old" Trek as being mutually exclusive.

3. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Hey, I'm just trying to explain the other side of the arguement here...you want to talk about unwarranted senses of superiority you should look in the mirror (you being "new" fans).

Casually throwing something that's served for 40 years out the window in favor of something "shiny, sexy and kewl" is far from being an admirable thing.

4. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It also is not what is going to happen here, as has been said for about a thousand times over the last year and about 50 times in this thread alone.

5. Jefferies

Jefferies Captain Captain

They might not be mutually exclusive but I suppose one will have an emphasis over the other. You might laugh at this, but with the new version taking over, I feel it a real loss that the old version will probably never get an update now.

6. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

one of the star trek soundtrack is Beastie Boys - Sabotage
    hip hop.

7. FlyingLemons

FlyingLemons Vice Admiral Admiral

The past 43 years of "canon" is still around for fans and indeed newcomers to look back on and enjoy. When some people go and see the film, they will just walk out and go on to the next blockbuster film release. Others will really enjoy the film and come to the realization that there's more where that film came from and go on to explore the rest of the Star Trek TV series, films and other material. It will hopefully keep the flame alive.

I can be an incredible nitpicker of canon when it comes to sci-fi - for instance, inconsistencies in the portrayal of aliens and "the conspiracy" in The X-Files mythology stories used to get me really annoyed (first killer bees carrying smallpox, then an alien virus, then grey aliens as black oil and cyborg super-soliders? Come on!), and the various deviations from canon in Enterprise initially annoyed me too (where the hell where the Xindi in previous shows? Where?), but after a while I came to the realisation that this will ultimately happen with all popular sci-fi: there are different versions of it.

This has happened numerous times to the DC universes, and Marvel has god knows how many timelines floating around in it, and yet in both, people are still working with them and making new content. The same can be done with Star Trek as well - it's just as durable as a universe and an idea as the rest of them. The "old canon" can exist, alongside the new one started by this film.

In fact, I cite the precedent of Doctor Who, another equally long running franchise. The revival of that show in 2003 came with the concept of a Time War that wiped the slate clean of most of the old trappings of the show, such as the Time Lords and redesigning popular races such as the Cybermen and Daleks within the context of the new show. Some of the older and more dedicated fans cried foul, declaring the producers were destroying their beloved show, and then? Several years later it's going well, more popular than ever with the new TV show's continuity existing in tandem with a wider universe of books, audio plays and other productions set firmly within the canon of the old series.

The same can happen with Trek. There's room for both old and new within the franchise, and no doubt in several years time people will be arguing about canon within the new universe after Trek XII, and canon within the other Trek Prime universe as well with new material being produced from that.

8. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been watching Star Trek for thirty years. In what way am I a "new" fan?

9. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

You could be right. At the same time though, I can't help but look at all these alterations to Trek and be reminded of that stupid Brand New Day storyline in recent Spider-Man comics where Peter and Mary Jane's marriage was erased from continuity.

10. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And which has resulted in the best run of Spider-Man comics in several decades.

11. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Now, if they went and put all the original Trek stuff out of print, that would be cause to bitch, but obviously that's not going to happen. So I'll enjoy both "universes."

12. Nerdius Maximus

Nerdius Maximus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I love that song, of course, but please tell me that it's not in the movie.

13. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

They seem to have nailed McCoy's backstory. But how he got his nickname is interesting, since "sawbones" is a common old nickname for a surgeon/doctor. All these years, I suppose we all just thought "Bones" was short for that. The things we're going to learn in this movie! :)

14. Cheebo

Cheebo Captain Captain

Kirk listens to it in a scene. Why can't he do that? We see Picard listening to music all the time. It actually makes sense. While Picard would be the type to listen to classical Kirk would be the type to listen to something more like the Beastie Boys. It works and is actually pretty cool sounding of an idea to me.

15. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

That's been the American way of doing things for years. :techman:

Although I do understand what you're saying. I go back to watching TOS in first run. However, it's happening, and I'm going to enjoy it best I can. Call it paying homage to what's gone before while creating a true "next generation" of Star Trek. And, even if we allow ourselves the guilty pleasure of liking the movie, we'll still know "our" Trek was better. Like the Beatles compared to what these "kids" listen to today. ;)

16. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

All I can say is: About time! Why? Someone finally alters time and it *stays* changed (Permanently writing off Vulcan was not expected, though). Yet we, with our god's eye view, get to remember that which previously unfolded and get to relive the whole saga afresh!

:thumbsup:

17. ralph

ralph Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How does the film begin?
    What is the first scene?
    Are there some thing about the destiny of Vulcan people in the end?

18. adg

adg Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

So, no Amok Time. And now, no Journey to Babel, either. Oh well. :(

19. Rincewiend

Rincewiend Admiral Admiral

20. Captain59

Captain59 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Connecticut - Home of the Hartford Whalers
    So Spock remains in Alt universe? He, for now, does not exist in the Prime universe?

And if he wanted to go back to the Prime universe, how would he? Using Doc Brown's theory, he would have to go back in time and straighten everything out, wouldn't he?