Anbody have the light-up (LED's) TNG Enterprise picture?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by EEE, Dec 3, 2011.

1. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

I was given one of these light-up (via a few LED's) Enterprise pictures, but it did not come with a power supply. Does anyone have this item and can they tell me the voltage _and_ the amperage the LED's require?

(from ancient experience, I don't want to over-amp any LED's again, as they are ROYAL pain to change due to their size! *grin?*)

2. Trekkie2

Trekkie2 Commander Red Shirt

If it's battery operated and 12v or less than it should be okay to use the replacement bulbs sold for strings of lights.

3. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

It's not battery operated, and it uses (straight) LED's rather than LED bulbs of any sort. And from experience, LED's are very susceptible to over-amperage. If I recall correctly, don't xmas-like LED bulbs encase the actual LED's? (been at least a decade since I saw one here)

I still cannot determine if it's supposed to be 9v or 12v, much less the all important amperage (aka: "mA" on a typical power adapter).

I was hoping someone had one and could take a look at the stats on their power supply leading to the picture.

4. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't have the picture of the Enterprise but I have one of a lighthouse that was made about the same time as the Enterprise D pic. The output on the adapter is
    12V DC 800mA. It only has 3 LEDs so YMMV.

5. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

Thanks! That gives me a rough idea! (the Enterprise-D picture has around 40 LED's). did these come out in the 90's?

6. Gary Mitchell

Gary Mitchell Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

What little I know about LEDs is that you generally have to wire a resistor in-line with them to get the right juice going into them. There are a number of LED wiring diagram calculators / generators online, where you enter the voltage requirements of the LED and then it tells you how to wire it and what resistors to use. Then it's just fun with solder and a trip to Radio Shack.

8. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

This is a mass produced, sealed product. The only way to access anything that could be soldered, is to destroy the picture (but the scenario picture you paint, is where I learned the hard way, not to over-amp LED's ever again).

9. EEE

EEE Captain Captain

For anybody else in need of this info in the future (well, it COULD happen!), here it is over 2 years later and I've found out (but not tried yet) that what I need is and adapter with the following specs...
    input: 120VAC 60Hz 10w
    Output: 12VDC
    300mA
    Class 2 Transformer
    Positive Center {ie. + ---0)--- - }

(The original adapter is a Model: WD1E3006PTP

Note the amperage of 300mA (Gary Mitchell's 800mA adapter mentioned above probably would've smoked these LED's! *ack*)

10. Rocketcityrod

Rocketcityrod Cadet Newbie

Just wanted to say "thanks" for the power supply info . I bought a Star Trek The Next Generation Led poster from a Collector store in Fort Payne and he didn't have a power supply to go with it .

11. Abbytoir

Abbytoir Cadet Newbie

Hiiii I'm looking for one now too! Do you know what type of connector it uses? I can find adapters with that voltage but can't seem to find one that fits. If anyone is still around and can help, please let me know!

12. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

Abbytoir, It is against board protocol to resurrect a six-year-old thread. Your question, however, is very specific and related to the prior posts so I'm going to leave it open. Please check out the board rules, a link to them exists at the top of this forum.