Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old May 1 2013, 03:28 AM   #16
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Re: Exactly how long do Cardassians live?

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
R. Star wrote: View Post
It's been forever since I read A Stitch in Time, but as I recall he was convicted of treason, given a life prison sentence, then died when he was turned over to Garak for interrogation afterwards.
All right, that tears it. I need to read that book already.
It's an awesome read. It's written by Andrew J. Robinson and wonderfully details Garak's whole backstory. I apologize for the minor spoiler.
Old May 1 2013, 04:41 AM   #17
Ryva Brall
Commander

Don't worry about it, R. Star. Actually, I just downloaded it onto my Kindle! The ebook was only eight bucks, and I just couldn't pass it up. It's an absolute steal compared to the mass-market paperback, which is going for anywhere from $30 to $150. Yikes.

It's also got insanely good reviews on Amazon. I can't wait to read it!
Old May 1 2013, 07:56 AM   #18
R. Star
Rear Admiral

Ryva Brall wrote: View Post
Don't worry about it, R. Star. Actually, I just downloaded it onto my Kindle! The ebook was only eight bucks, and I just couldn't pass it up. It's an absolute steal compared to the mass-market paperback, which is going for anywhere from $30 to $150. Yikes.

It's also got insanely good reviews on Amazon. I can't wait to read it!
Yeah, I was lucky enough to find a copy in a used book store. They're hard to get apparently. I don't know what I did before ebooks.
Old May 9 2013, 12:14 PM   #19
Dal Rassak
Lieutenant Commander

If you go with the Terok Nor novels, then Dukat is round about 19 or 20 in 2318, when taking part in the first contact with Bajor, as he is a junior officer. That obviously makes him much older than the actor's real age by the time of the handover of the station. But I think it works if we reckon the average Cardassian lifespan to be a few decades longer than the average human one. Then, a man like Dukat would be in the years of his later middle age - still perfectly robust. I roughly read human 40s-50s for Cardassian 70s-80s.

I also reckon Cardassians might mature quicker than humans, while being slower to age as well - Rugal looks very grown-up even though he's only meant to be about fifteen or so.
As for Tain, he possibly dies his hair out of vanity. And yes, I'd say Garak is definitely younger than Dukat, maybe by a decade and a bit.
Old May 9 2013, 02:39 PM   #20
E-DUB
Captain

Don't forget that most humanoids in the ST universe owe their existance to the "first ones" from the TNG episode "The Chase". There are two issues here, average life span and maximum life span. Average life span has gone up greatly due to medical advancements, mostly disease eradication eliminating many childhood deaths. Maximum life span has gone up some but is a harder goalpost to move. I figure that in the ST universe even more people are reaching the maximum and doing so in good shape like Elias Vaughn, but the maximum hasn't changed all that much. Some people even now with "primitive" 21th century medicine can live to 120. By DS9 time, that's been pushed to 140ish for humans. I remember one novel where McCoy said he "held the record". Cardassians may live somewhat longer, like Vulcans but the same kind of curve doubtless applies to them.
E-DUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2013, 12:08 PM   #21
Timo
Admiral

Don't forget that most humanoids in the ST universe owe their existance to the "first ones" from the TNG episode "The Chase".
And let's not forget that humans are definitely among those - their DNA samples were part of the code that allowed our heroes to decipher the message of the Ancestors. So differences between humans and certain aliens can't be categorically explained by referring to those Ancestors and their Great Plan or whatever, even if similarities can.

Humans seem to be an exception in this maturing business, reaching "teen actor" appearance only in their teens rather than in their preteens. But Molly O'Brien might be a slight exception to the exception...

Perhaps modern medicine not only makes old people healthier and more youthful, but also makes young people healthier and more mature?

Timo Saloniemi
Timo is offline   Reply With Quote