Speculation about stuff in latest Typhon Pact novel SPOILERS WITHIN

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by mendelin, Jul 25, 2013.

1. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Re: Speculation about stuff in latest Typhon Pact novel SPOILERS WITHI

HE CAN'T BE!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

2. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The Return Of Odo. For how long?

^Oh--and lest we forget: "Soylent Green is made out of people...."

:scream:"SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!!!":scream:

And the entire St. Elsewhere series was quite possibly Tommy's daydream.

Oh, and "It was you, Kristen.... You shot J.R.!!!"

AND...the BIGGEST spoiler of them all--John Harrison's ACTUAL identity IS...
    (No, I'm not that cruel....)

Well, I suppose I'll have to wait, unfortunately--and see how the book treats it. After all--and this is just me--I strive to make sure my fanfic "flows" more-or-less with established TrekLit.

(My latest tale--which is probably buried, by now, so you'd have to enter my authorship in the "search" engine--could actually be invalidated by this upcoming book. :sigh:)

(BTW--edit: my "spoiler" has "working against him". Meant "working against them". My bad....)

3. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It still amazes me that we never actually saw that conversation happen. Surely that would have been a defining moment in Julian Bashir's life - the having of that conversation - worth a whole book in itself. That we only hear about it after the fact, once the conversation has already happened off-screen, is mind-boggling to me.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I hardly think it would have been worth its own book.

I would have preferred to see the conversation, too, but I don't think it was a "mind-boggling" creative decision to deal with its consequences without directly showing it. Especially since DRGIII has said in Treklit podcasts that DSN novels have lately been folded into larger miniseries like Typhon Pact because they've been struggling sales-wise. If you only get a few books every year or so, then that kind of economy of storytelling becomes important.

5. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

^(Kirk voice) I know, but really...!

(Normal) I can't help but wonder if the reason DRGIII didn't actually show the conversation was because of how frankly dang hard it would be to have Sarina say it without the reader blinking, re-reading...and going, "You expect me to believe THAT?!? Let alone Julian?"

Now, if it were--
    Sarina facing a deep inner conflict over constantly having to deceive Julian and basically play him like a SAP--and to be blunt, that was what was going on in ZSG, and Julian REALLY owes Ezri an apology.

But I digress.... Sarina dealing with her guilt--arising in part due to 1) the fact that she owes him everything she now has in her life; and 2) her feelings towards him--would be a GREAT lead-in to her finally confessing to Julian, and then promising to work with him to "take them down"!

Instead...we get--
    Sarina presumably claiming that she's been working to "take them down" all along. Which, again, begs for the question of "And...you took this long to tell him...why, exactly?"

Of course...it kinda gives REAL credence to the idea that--
    This is L'Haan's "Batman Gambit" to dupe Julian even further, tempting him with the bait of "You're working to TAKE DOWN Section 31!"--when in reality, he's just carrying out their assignments.

Indeed, the reaction of
    L'Haan
    to Julian's slipping and inadvertently revealing everything would seem to support this. She doesn't seem so surprised, does she? Almost as though she were expecting it. And regardless--
    L'Haan doesn't change her plans one bit--in fact works with Bashir to HELP OUT Sarina!

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I still don't think it makes any sense that Odo is trapped when they have no problems zipping Janeway back and forth between Earth and the Delta Quadrant.

It's not like they only have one slipstream ship.

7. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This reminds me of the time I was talking about the 1933 film King Kong, and got complaints because there was a remake coming out and what I said could be considered spoilers.

Like I wasn't allowed to discuss a 70 year old film because someone made a remake?

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I was about to post what I think is the likely outcome re Sarina, but it could be viewed as a story idea. I'll just say that I still don't trust her. I'll wait to see if I'm right...

Odo wouldn't have much pull to get a lift by slipstream imho. The equipped ships are few and far between, and are probably pretty fully occupied.

9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

He's Head of State of a power you have an extremely tenuous peace with. I think I could spare a starship to send him home.

Now that he's stuck in the Alpha Quadrant. What would keep more volatile elements from taking control of the Dominion in his absence?

10. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Wait, what? I'm guessing you posted this as an example of "spoilers everyone should know by now", but I guess I'll be "that" person and say this *is* actually a spoiler for me. I guess I should get going and watch those last three movies...

Yeah, this. I know they want him stuck in the Alpha Quadrant because plot, but seriously, the Federation would be stupid *not* to dispatch a QSD ship to send him home ASAP.

11. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And considering the writing team and DRGIII can think of these, there will be probably be a very good reason for Odo staying in the AQ.

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Well, the book has been out since 2005, the film, 2009, so yeah, you really should :bolian:

As for Snape doing it, yes and no, it's more a case of Voldemort doing it (well the ripped soul of himself) long term and Snape committing euthanasia before the effects from Voldemort could finally kill him. But yes, Snape does commit the final killing blow (or wand action) and thus kills Dumbledore from a certain point of view.

Of course, this all get's explained in Deathly Hallows and why Harry believes that Snape is one of the bravest men he's ever known.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013