DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Keep in mind as well that the Finch story is not confirmed by anyone and that just Rich's sources gave him the info.

@JD there will most likely be five collections. Four is coming out pretty soon, and then the last arc should be volume five (off the top of my head).

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

World's Finest is not an awful comic book, some of the stories have been quite interesting, and... None of the art really stood out, and I suspect that there have been a few artists deployed there to make the comic look more like a bus station than a place of business... So, World's Finest is not an awful comic book until it does a crossover with any book drawn by Jae Lee, and suddenly the writers credentials and credibility in either title don't amount to a hill of beans.

The swift shift in artesian pressure was grating and dangerous.

3. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I liked World's Finest when George Perez was doing the art, once he left so did I.

4. ClayinCA

ClayinCA Commodore Commodore

The Perez/Maguire art team on that book made it one of my favourite reads each month. Now they're gone, I do still enjoy the storylines, but the book's a lot harder to read.

5. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Admiral_Young

7. Hound of UIster

I would prefer Soule or Snyder writing it.

Because I have a good feeling they are going to demolish the previous mythology and build something of their own much like what every Wonder Woman writer has done to a degree since Perez.

FYI Idelson was responsible for the terrible Amazons Attack and editorially mandating the previous Gail Simone run of WW to death.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I hope they don't ignore it all. I think making WW a sort of supernatural almost vertigo story has been more interesting than the same old same old superhero story.

9. Hound of UIster

You'll be lucky if they just ignore it and not put Zola, Hermes and Hera on the deathbus to Hades because if you have read how Amazons Attacks or World of New Krypton ended, wiping the slate is basically how this editorial regime works.

10. Guy Gardener

I think I could pitch a sitcom about a deathbus.

2 parts the John Larroquette show and 3 parts those Bureaucracy scenes in Hell from Beetleguice and 1 part Dead Like Me for good measure.

11. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I'd watch that. :cool:

12. Professor Zoom

What's nice is: I can walk away with something complete. I just think this vision of WW is great.

13. Admiral_Young

Well Rich's original article seemed to imply that they want to bring Diana's characterization into the rest of the books, I don't know that that also means undoing all of Azzy's mythology to do that. I guess we'll see. I'm really sad about this. Aside from Snyder's "Batman", Azzy's "Wonder Woman" quickly became my favourite book.

Soule would have my pick as well to take over. His work on Superman/Wonder Woman has been good. I have become a huge fan of his "Letter 44" for Oni Press as well.

14. Professor Zoom

I thought it was the other way around, that they wanted to bring WW's characterization from the other books INTO her own book. Making her book more like the rest of the DCU.

15. Guy Gardener

Why duplicate those books?

The other Wonder Woman book, and Wonder Woman spotlights deal with continuity, so that this title is where an author can go balls deep with cart blanch with big ideas and ignore the shit out of the rest of the rest of the New 52.

16. Professor Zoom

Big ideas? In a DCU book? When does that happen?

17. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Forever Evil #6.

This is the first issue I finally dug because things finally happened. I loved how brutally violent the Injustice Gang was against the Crime Syndicate, particularly Captain Cold freezing Johnny Quick's leg and then snapping it off! Ice cold! :lol:

And we finally discover the identity of the Hooded Man: Alexander Luthor. That part wasn't a huge surprise, but the fact that he's Captain Marvel was! Interesting.

One issue left and we still have no idea who the big bad is. That part pisses me off. At the rate this story is going, I can only presume that they don't actually fight or defeat it in the last issue, they merely reveal who it is on the last page, and this will in turn lead to the NEXT major crossover storyline.

18. Hound of UIster

He is probably also

the father of Superwoman aka Earth-3 Lois's unborn child making the kid Alex Luthor Jr.

19. Guy Gardener

A Mazahs enhanced human is one of the few classifications of being that would be able to successfully do sex with a female possessing a biology comparable to a Kryptonian.

But... A baseline regular foetus, if the sperm could even penetrate the superegg, would be smothered inside Superwoman unless every sperm shot inside her was also Mazahs enhanced... Yet, if the Shazam family's powers are divided every time Billy shares them, spread out between the rest of the Marvel family, then perhaps the Luthor family's powers from a negative universe where everything is sorta opposite, are multiplied, not divided, every time Alexander spreads his superpowers. No, not times 2 because of the foetus. Times 60 million because of the sperms.

60 million times almost as strong as Superman is very strong.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2014
  20. Saga

Saga Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Forever Evil has just dragged on and on. and its made Nightwing look like a total chump.