A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Out Of My Vulcan Mind, Apr 21, 2011.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Damn, at this rate, the series will never end. Give us The Winds of Winter already, none of this "Oh, how about one more too wait for?" shit. Sheesh.

I commented on this in this week's review thread, but I figured I mention it here, too:

I find it interesting how he answers one particular question.
    I wonder if he has read the books or knows what direction his character is going. If he hasn't or doesn't, then that's a great stroke of luck on his insight. Makes me all the more excited about the next season. I can't wait to watch Peter Dinklage and Iain Glen act off each other.

2. InklingStar

InklingStar Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I enjoyed Talking Bad in the last season of Breaking Bad. This should be fun.

3. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

His problems finishing the series predate the show. If one were to trace the source, I would suggest it lies in his whole approach to writing (the "gardener vs. architect" metaphor he's used many times); the world keeps expanding, and he seems to be struggling to to bring it to a resolution.

4. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

This isn't really news, let alone a trial balloon: Martin has been saying for years that seven books may not be enough. His interviews at the release of A Dance with Dragons in July 2011 are full of the same "I'm planning for seven, but wait till I've written them and see" answer he's giving now. The only reason it's drawing coverage at the moment is that journalists came across the Groell quote and saw the opportunity for attention-getting Game of Thrones headlines.

5. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Would have thought that the popularity of the show would have lit a fire under his ass to write a little faster so he could cash in, but thanks for the reminder that we're coming up on the 3rd anniversary of the last book, without any hint that the next one is even close enough to tease...

Honestly hope it kinda blows up on him. Show spoils his ending, people get less excited to buy his last couple books that end up releasing 5 years after the show goes off the air and just rehashes what they've already seen anyway, etc.

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

So he doesn't get any goodwill for creating something you've obviously enjoyed, even if he's annoying you now ?

Eight books may not slow down the series anyway. How about if six and seven are huge (hard to imagine, I know !) so they are revised into three simply large volumes - the shorter six may be out sooner than expected.

Also, just because he hasn't finished six doesn't mean he hasn't got a substantial amount of seven (and eight) done already if he's been following his muse with certain characters.

He has already said he's told the showrunners how it all finishes. He has it all plotted and planned (if roughly) and if he wasn't able to complete the story, someone else will be able to finish the novels from these notes / comlpeted chapters, like the Wheel of Time series. It might not be quite the same written by someone else, but it'd be close enough...

7. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

GRRM has already said that won't happen; either he will finish the series, or no one will.

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

If he dies it won't be up to him. There's a new 'Stieg Larsson' novel coming out next year.

The discussions with Martin's estate would go something like this :

‘You are aware George contractually owed us another book ? We also feel we owe it to the fans to conclude the story. We will hand pick a suitable author, editorially supervise putting together the work from George's completed chapters, drafts, outlines and information given to the TV shows writing staff. It will be sensitively handled and respect George's vision.

And there will be a, say, $15,000,000 advance...'

Last edited: Jun 5, 2014
  9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

There was the fingers in the eye socket scene, but there was a cut away before the actual head crushing. Yes, pretty brutal though.

The reports have said that GRRM has provided a broad summary of how his story ends. I think the books will have more than enough surprises in them. There is always the possibility that GRRM changes his mind or plans to continue the story beyond what he has told the writers.

10. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

Yup, it looks like we will get one ending in the show and then another in the books with different details. I guess we all get to pick the one we like best.

11. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love how a silly off-hand remark by his publisher ("I told him that 7 books goes with 7 kingdoms, but there are actually 8...") gets blown out of proportion and treated as if she's actually announced that there are going to be 8 books.

So, you're disappointed that he's not doing a rushed cash-grab job instead of taking the time to properly write his life work?

Yes, because sales of popular books tend to go down after a lot of people have seen a very popular film or TV adaptation. :rolleyes: :lol:

12. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The man wrote a series of books, that you've greatly enjoyed for very little money, and because he's not writing fast enough you want him to suffer? Holy shit dude. Entitled much?

13. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Maybe I'm naive but I really don't think old George cares too much about the money at this stage anyway. It would probably be more profitable to bang out a book every year or two than the way he's doing it.

14. DevilEyes

GRRM himself has said this about the "will there we more than 7 books issue":
    http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/06/03/george-r-r-martin-ice-and-fire-publishing-plan-game-of-thrones/
    He's also said:

Which is also what I've been thinking even without knowing the future storylines - there's a shitload of things to be resolved in those remaining books, so 7 seasons could end up being very rushed.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I was the guy that was arguing of few pages back that the series would be at least ten seasons. Now that I see how much of books four and five are being incorporated into the current season I believe that I stand corrected. The only way to complete the series now in seven or eight seasons is for the television series to take its own path (guided by GRRM's broad outline) and the books to continue the way the author writes them.

To paraphrase what Martin has said previously, fans need to realize that this story is not a "choose your own adventure".

16. DevilEyes

I always thought that books 4 and 5 would be covered by season 5 (especially as some of it is being covered this season, this way they make up 1.5 seasons, roughly) because there's no way to make two seasons out of them; one extended season, yes, but not two seasons. It's not that there's no material, it's that there are lots of characters, locations and storylines, but none of them individually have enough material for two seasons - not even Jon, because the arcs would feel weird and suffer if they were split into two seasons.

I also think they will include some TWOW stuff next season for some of the characters; the battle of Meereen, certainly; battle of Winterfell, perhaps; Sansa will have to have some TWOW stuff - especially considering that they've sped up her storyline (and even without it, I already thought she'd have to have some TWOW stuff, since her AFFC chapters are thin on actual events, though rich in internal monologue), I wouldn't be surprised if they add something from TWOW for Arya, and I don't know what they'll do with Bran: probably some TWOW stuff, and maybe they can use him again for weirnet visions to finally get a bit more of the backstory into the show? The only storyline from AFFC I see possibly moved to TWOW is Oldtown, because it could be too many locations and new characters for one season, and it's just set up in AFFC anyway. So Sam may not get to meet the maesters, "Alleras" and "Pate" until season 6 premiere.

Still, I don't think that two more seasons will be enough to wrap up everything, even without hearing the reports of how long the next two books are supposed to be - there's just too much stuff to be resolved. I think eight seasons would be a more realistic and better goal than seven, unless they make extended seasons as The Sopranos, Oz (which practically did two seasons in one year with a break and called them season 4) or some other shows, but they've said it doesn't fit their shooting schedule.

17. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I keep wondering if or how Jon Snow will learn who his real mother/parents are. Through out the book they make it a point that Ned would never tell anyone, but did he confess it to someone? Who's would Ned trust enough to do that? If he didn't tell anyone, how else could we find out who they are. Could Bran use his Green sight to find out? Will there be a magical explanation. Will he never find out...

18. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Lord Howland Reed knows.

19. -Brett-

-Brett- Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe. If so, maybe he told his kids.

How that information gets to Jon is anyones guess.

20. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Although they're minor characters, both Pyp and Grenn die during the Battle of Castle Black even though their book counterparts are still alive. Not too surprising considering they haven't really done much since A Storm of Swords. Still, I'm sorry to see them go.