Another fan attempt at TOS deck plans

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Shaw, Feb 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    I like this take. I myself wouldn't want people walking in behind me, either. :techman:

And for a real world example of something similar, most submarine drivers face to the side.

2. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Though that's so they can see the water level bubble that indicates the dive angle of their boat. At least on the Blueback (old diesel sub permanantly moored at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry. I tour it whenever I get a chance. It's neat.

As for the bridge of the Enterprise, 30-odd degrees to the left is inconsequential.

--Alex

3. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why do people insist it face forward anyways, besides symbolic...symbolismness?

4. Praetor

I have no idea. It's not like the viewscreen was a window or anything. (Not in the prime-verse, anyway. :p)

To me, as a kid, it was always clear that the dome atop the saucer was the bridge, and the single cylinder at the rear was meant to be the turbolift. The whole point of it was to give the audience a sense of scale. Whether the set "actually" fits there in the model(s) is somewhat irrelevant to me, but I think enough people have proven that given the proper scaling it can.

5. Gagarin

Gagarin Commander Red Shirt

Just for the sake of being Treknobable silly, COULD the 30-or-so degree tilt help out the inertial dampeners? I assume most of their work would be from the forward vector. Would having things rotated would give them a head start in helping keep people in their seats (and we know the Constitutions were pretty bad at this anyway).

Oh, and we need to make sure we recognize that gravity generation was often the first thing to take a dive in high-power demand situations. .80 Earth gravity was often felt during combat operations or high-warp manuvering =)

(I actually really liked the 'captain hated not seeing who was coming in and out of the bridge idea, whoever that was!)

6. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Truthfully, I don't see why they couldn't have just put a second turbolift in. I mean when you consider the bridge is only accessable via one elevator, it looks like a great set-up for a single-point of failure. Generally this is a no-no

7. Birdog

Birdog Commander Red Shirt

Depending on who's plans you are looking at there are two other methods of bridge access. The first would be the forward-port doorway that leads to the outer service area and then down to deck two. The other would be a ladder well forward of the helm.

8. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Unless you watch Space Seed where they can all be trapped like rats by turning off the turbolift.

Of course TAS addressed this by adding a second door.

9. Luis

Luis Ensign Red Shirt

If I remember well there a small door in the opposite side..

Shawn, from were you get these images at scale of TOS sets ??? I have a lot of interest on these draws, because I'm doing a 3d (reimagined) TOS hallways.

10. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

11. Luis

Luis Ensign Red Shirt

12. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

I think the fact that during both "Arena" and "'Who Mourns for Adonais?'", when the Enterprise was forceably decelerated, the crew on the Bridge was tossed toward the viewscreen; that may have something to do with it.

13. Praetor

So the inertial dampers and gravity systems are programmed to orient deck one differently than the rest of the ship?

Solved. :cool:

14. CuttingEdge100

CuttingEdge100 Commodore Commodore

Well, if there were two lifts one could be placed on each side of the centerline and allow the bridge to be pointed straight forward and would put each lift in a position that is not directly behind the Captain.

Plus the TMP Enterprise has it.

15. Praetor

The Phase II ship had twin "mickey mouse ear" turbolifts on the bridge module. Clearly MJ agreed.

16. Cary L. Brown

Cary L. Brown Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Of course, the whole "mickey mouse" thing is why they ended up making it into an "airlock" too... there's no real logic to having an airlock there, but they needed SOMETHING to keep it from infringing on Disney I.P. ;)

To be frank, I like the lift locations from ST-VI best. However, those (again) fail to fit inside the dome's constraints, and would have required a full shipwide refit (moving the tubes, and all the other "guts" around), so that bugs me. But, purely from the standpoint of a bridge layout, if you didn't have any prior body of work you were contradicting, the "on either side" approach is great.

When I did the bridge for the Vega, I did something different, however. I put a pair of lift tubes in the back, but they had the security station in-between... and so that anyone entering the bridge from those would be observed by the security guards. This requires the captain to trust his guards, of course... but if he doesn't... he's pretty much hosed anyway, huh?

If I were doing another "clean sheet" ship, I suspect I might try yet another approach... the "elevator lobby" which is separated from the bridge proper (maybe through a plexiglass "phaserproof" barrier?)

Basically, the trick is to ensure that anyone on the bridge retains the upper hand oer any "bad guys" who might try to storm the bridge. REAL naval command centers have security lobbies... the general crew can't just stroll in, and certainly non-cleared passengers never could.

With the TOS bridge, it's clear that there's only one lift. And that is undeniably a design flaw... but it's one that is definitely "canon."

17. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Why face the bridge forward?

Creator's intent.

Those on the show thought it faced forward, and if pressed on the turbolift issue, you'd likely get an answer to the effect of "it just shunts to the side before going down."

In other words, they had more important things to attend to than doing the math on whether or not the set matched up with the miniature across town at the effects house. At the time, "close enough" and "at least we're putting more thought into this than Lost in Space does" was more than sufficient justification.

18. Luis

Luis Ensign Red Shirt

I think that this can be helpful. I get a TOS sets plains a bit bigger, and I worked over it which Corel Draw. I not have idea of what scale are this draws, or even if it are at scale or how accurate is. So I get a approx. scale working over the base that a bed of the sick bay have a long of 2 meters.

Please check if my approximated scale are right.

[​IMG]

19. Shaw

Shaw Commodore Commodore

Looks about right... the sets were built using english units rather than metric, so even though english units are a pain to work with, working with the same units as the designers does help in examining their work.

This is a reduced set of plans (these are at about 20% the size of the file I was scaling them in) on a 10 foot by 10 foot grid...

20. Luis

Luis Ensign Red Shirt

I'm amazed !! I get the correct scale (or the same scale that you!).

I used Corel Draw, I can change unit systems at will. But think in work in Internation unit system. More quick, more easy, and his name say "International". Imperial units it's a obsolete unit system today. Even England It's changin to International system.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.