Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I had an episode of Twelve O'Clock High on low in the background in the wee hours of the morning, and I swear that during a fade to commercial, I heard a musical cue that sounded a lot like the Trek fanfare.

(And of course, Robert Lansing was there.)

2. ToddPence

ToddPence Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

There's also one that's written by Gene Roddenberry and stars "The Empath's" Kathryn Hays.

3. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That's news to me too, and along with Star Trek, I'm a major Lost in Space fan. Nice to know!

4. mb22

mb22 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"Bar David" is "the son of David" in Hebrew.

5. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aramaic, actually. The Hebrew is "Ben". David Ben Gurion of Israel, for example. Even so, that makes Shimon Wincelberg's father David Wincelberg.

6. mb22

I stand corrected...

7. The Old Mixer

I wake up on the wee hours and who's that guest star on Twelve O'Clock High? It's Major Shatman, bomber pilot! Alas, it's a Paul Burke season, not Robert Lansing's one...but Frank Overton is a regular.

8. The Old Mixer

Morgan Woodward's on the Cimarron Strip episode that H&I is airing right now. Haven't caught him on a Wagon Train, but it looks like he did a crapload of those.

9. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sharon Acker drops in on It Takes a Thief, with a Trek title, "Catspaw."

[​IMG]

Hey, who knows, the tiger in the episode may be the same one from Shore Leave. :lol:

10. The Old Mixer

The Man from UNCLE episodes that Decades has been showing today have more Trek guest actors in them than you can shake a lirpa at.

11. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Monitors (1969) is an awful sci-fi film with Susan Oliver (Vina) and Sherry Jackson (Andrea). The fact that it's satire doesn't excuse how bad it is. Interesting photography, though. Watching it now in the background in limited doses.

12. erastus25

erastus25 Commodore Commodore

Just saw Diana Muldaur on an episode of Bonanza. The Passing of a King.

13. The Old Mixer

Following up on my previous post...I don't think I've seen an UNCLE episode go by this weekend that didn't have at least one recognizable Trek face in it...more than one in many cases.

ETA: No less than Jimmy Doohan is in the one currently showing.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  14. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Dunno if this has been mentioned upthread, but speaking of Miss Pettyjohn, she tested to play Nova for Planet of the Apes. She didn't appear in the final film, but here are pix of her tests.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

I recently saw William Windom in the 1983 pilot episode of The A-Team. He played Al Massey, the journalist mentor of Amy Allen that she hired the A-Team to rescue.

16. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wonder if Standards and Practices did any damage to California screaming about that costume. They did to Nova what the Hays Office did to Maureen Sullivan's Jane in the Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan films.

17. DarrenTR1970

DarrenTR1970 Commodore Commodore

I'm in the middle of watching the MST3K episode It Lives by Night and it's a TOS trifecta.
    We have Stewart Moss from The Naked Time as the scientist more interested in studying bats on his honeymoon.
    Then there's Paul Carr as the doctor treating Stewart Moss.
    Finally we have Michael Pataki as the sheriff lusting after Stewart Moss's wife.
    What I find interesting about the movie is that even though the sheriff is supposed to be the bad guy, he's right in that Stewart Moss should be killed.
    We're supposed to sympathize with Stewart Moss for turning into a man-bat, but he murders five people throughout the course of the movie; two of them knowingly. Then he admits to liking it in his taped confession.
    Yeah Michael Pataki might have been a bit of a dirt bag but he didn't deserve to die at the end of the film.

18. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

William Schallert as a Corsair pilot in Flat Top, 1952.

[​IMG]

19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Well, "Standards and Practices" is a network TV thing and didn't apply to movies, which operated under the Will Hays instituted Motion Picture Production Code , which was being dismantled at the time Apes came out.

Harvey likes this.
  20. mb22

And the '68 film then got a 'G' rating! Imagine that today.