Put George & Gracie on the Federation Council?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by 2takesfrakes, Jan 8, 2014.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Easy. Just time-travel back to sometime before the 1980s.

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Well, if it happens while Spock and McCoy are still alive, they can explain it. :p

3. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

Definitely not a good idea, you might be taking an ancestor of George & Gracie and thus create a time paradox!

Therefore, any future visits to the past to bring back humpback whales would / should be restricted to the point/s in time after George & Gracie had left. ;)

Bob

4. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thank you, T'Girl! Whilst Eddie Murphy's schtick can be annoying at times, THE VOYAGE HOME did need some kind of an edge to it. The picture's humour was so lame and neutered, I would've welcomed his involvement. Especially if they were committed to doing the film the way they ended up shooting it. The "jokes" were so fogeyish ...

5. Timewalker

I have never found Eddie Murphy entertaining, and am glad he wasn't in the movie.

Gillian Taylor was a great character - an intelligent, independent woman who found Kirk charming, but not charming enough to compromise herself for him (she didn't grab on to him in the transporter beam because she wanted him - she did it for the whales). And she quickly found a place for herself in 23rd-century society.

6. 2takesfrakes

All true! And I also liked how Gillian's attachment to Kirk, especially, grew out of her desperation, at the time. Not sexual desperation, of course ... but the fate of her precious whales was completely out of her hands. She did not have the means or the political power to do anything meaningful about her whales' future. Even when she did lose them, when Bob set them free without her knowledge, like a Thief in the Night, I kind of thought her reaction was underplayed.

But I liked how Hicks seems to be kind of winding herself up, a bit, preparing to slap him hard, right in the face! I don't know ... a little more freaking out might've been in order, but that wasn't the point of the scene, I know. Still, when that happened, her desperation climaxed whereupon she found herself entering a Fairy Tale Land where her fondest wish came true. All of this made me kind of want to know more about this lady, how she could be so naive and strangely innocent, for being a cougar ...

7. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Gillian was definitely a better move than Eddie Murphy would have been. And I'm saying that as someone who thinks he was at least pretty entertaining in "Trading Places".

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Did I miss the scene where she dates a much younger man? Kirk's the one hitting on a person nearly two decades younger.

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The novelization mentions that enough humpback DNA samples had been preserved since the 20th century to enable sufficient variety through 23rd century methods such as cloning. It hadn't been a priority until they had live examples species.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nope. I didn't see any such scene, either.

Plus, she dumps Kirk when they get to the 23rd century, so the birthday angle doesn't hold up, either....

11. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

...etc

In fewer words, Kirk is a Hero. With a capital H.

I wish TNG fans would quit talking about that Picard guy as if he was someone in the ST universe.

12. Timewalker

Gillian wasn't dating anyone (unless it was mentioned in the novelization; it's been many years since I read that, so I don't recall), and when she asked to go to the future, she stated, "I've got nobody here!"

Kirk tried to charm her in the pizza restaurant (it didn't work), and at the end of the movie he asked how to reach her, as he didn't even have her "phone number." She said, "I'll find you," gave him a kiss on the cheek, and left.

Yep, Kirk finally found a woman immune to his charms. :p

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, maybe the word "dumps" that I used is the wrong one, since they just had the one date, cut extremely short, and never went steady.

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Sadly, her removal from the twentieth century somehow lead to a nuclear war on Earth in the mid-twenty-first century. The DTI really should have done something about that! :lol:

15. 2takesfrakes

Get used to it, sir ... but note my current avatar - I like James T. Kirk, too! Especially now that J.J. Abrams and Chris Pine have filtered out all traces of Shatner's hammyness from the character.

Some of you may have noticed how Gillian would wipe her hands on her shirt, if Kirk touched her, occassionally. Or when the whales first got beemed up, Kirk looks at Gillians boobs, causing her to fold her arms. By this stage in his life, James T. Kirk had lost his sex appeal.

Indeed, he was aged, bloated and wore an embarassing hair hat, constantly. Though Kirk had been "put out to pasture," Gillian observed that the "grazing" hadn't been good. She didn't need this desperate concern for her whales to keep herself emotionally distant from Kirk. He couldn't "pull" women anymore, his "day" was over.

16. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Did Martia count?

17. 2takesfrakes

Only technically! We were never really sure she was female, especially after she mentioned that she only took the form of Iman to "assume a pleasing shape." What's more ... she told Kirk "I like it 'here'," when she assumed his form and started talking with his voice(!), instead of Iman's, which all her other forms used. In any event ... I would not discount Martia, entirely, even though Kirk didn't want any reminders from Bones that they made out!

18. Shat Happens

I dont know if Kirk could "get the girl" if he was really into it (probably, because the Antonia example), but in IV he was clearly a man with a mission. He charmed Gillian, like so many alien women in TOS, in order to gain a tactical advantage. And he got her to spit out the secret whale's pregnancy, the details of the jet transport and the transmitter frequency. At that point he would leave her in the 20th century -- and would have, if she wasnt crazy enough to jump on his neck during transport.

EDIT: also he made her pay for the pizza even as he had money from selling the antique glasses. (and took the pizza with him!)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  19. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

^^^Spock was the one who revealed the pregnancy. Gillian merely confirmed it.

20. Shat Happens

What actually I wonder about that pizza scene is, what was in those beers? Girl takes one sip and start to laugh and tell all her secrets. Kirk doesnt do better: he promptlly confess he is an space and time traveler(!!!)

Aparently cetacean biologists cant handle themselves with alcohol, and saurian brandy and romulan ale arent nearly as strong as 20th century Earth beers.