Treking through all Star Trek

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by thew40, Sep 21, 2009.

1. thew40

thew40 Commander Red Shirt

Series: Enterprise - Season One
    Episode: “Terra Nova”
    Trek Installment # 5
    Grade: D-
    Date: September 16, 2009

Because the caverns sets from “Strange New World” just weren’t awesome enough for one episode, we needed to have them in TWO! The episode pushes the limit on the plausibility scale. I can not imagine a civilization falling apart so much in just 70 years and that fact alone kills the already clichéd characters (stubborn grandma, cautiously trusting middle-aged man, angry youth) and boring plot.

Again, Enterprise simply does not take advantage of the potential here. Just with “Unexpected,” the episode could have been so much better. It could have been a great story about the dangers and politics of colonization. The backstory about Captain Mitchell and Mark Logan would have been made for a more interesting and intriguing story than what was delivered.

2. thew40

Episode: “The Andorian Incident”
    Trek Installment # 6
    Grade: C+
    Viewing Date: September 18, 2009

Finally! A decent episode!

This was a great way to introduce the Andorians. Making them opponents to the Vulcans is a nice touch and I’m very happy for the conflict it creates. Shran, of course, is pretty awesome despite not getting much time in this particular episode. I have to applaud the producers for this one – having the first meeting between three of four founding members of the Federation be a complete disaster was a great idea.

The directing is a lot better in this episode than previous. Lots of great action.

My biggest problem with it, though, is the way Archer talks to T’Pol throughout the episode. He’s very demeaning and cocky and just rude to her. Borderline racist at times, I felt. I also hated that the Vulcan’s lied in this episode. The fact that they were always willing to tell the truth was one of the most interesting aspects of that species. Not anymore, I guess.

3. apenpaap

apenpaap Commodore Commodore

Only a C+ for the Andorian Incident? I thought it was one of the first season's jewels. I agree that having the first meeting be a disaster was a great idea. I don't agree that having the Vulcans lie was a bad idea. It shows the Vulcans of this era are different guys then those of later eras, which is good, as TOS already explored Vulcan culture, giving Tuvok little to do on VOY.

4. thew40

One of my biggest issues with the deception on the part of the Vulcan's was that it was just overkill. Enterprise seemed to be trying way to hard too make the Vulcan's into asshats. This episode was just over the top with that. Hence the C+.

I consider it a good one, I guess, but I certainly liked the next episode better . . .

-----

Episode: “Breaking the Ice”
    Trek Installment # 7
    Grade: A -
    Viewing Date: September 18, 2009

Best episode thus far. It didn’t try too hard, it wasn’t crazy, and it had some genuine heart to it. It’s an episode of small moments, each one of them great. Enterprise chasing a comet really takes this episode down to its scientific roots. Reed and Mayweather making snowmen (and a snow-Vulcan) on the comet was fun and even though I groaned a little when they stopped to look at the ice cracking, the comet adventure was enjoyable. I loved the scene where the crew answers questions from the elementary school.

Even the dinner scene, which would be rather groan-worthy, was nicely done because it made the Vulcan captain look like such a snob and Archer look like such a jerk. It didn’t quite come off as the normal Vulcan snobbery – this guy made it seem personal.

This episode – held together by the T’Pol/Koss subplot – is just the character-building adventure I needed to help wash the taste of some of the baddies out of my mouth.

The whole episode came off as "what happens on a regular day on board the Enterprise." Some nice characterization on all fronts -- notably Archer, T'Pol, and Trip. And on the Trip/T'Pol note, this definetly felt like the beginning of what would come later. A deeper sense of trust is present here, which only aids the dynamic between them.

5. thew40

Episode: “Civilization”
    Trek Installment # 8
    Grade: C
    Viewing Date: September 20, 2009

An okay episode, though it certainly dragged on for a while. I liked the introduction to the Malurians and Garos’ scheme. It added a much-needed twist to an otherwise boring episode. On that same note, I actually enjoyed the Riann’s role in the episode and it would have been nice to see her again in some capacity or another. I liked Phlox statements about Riann’s discovery of science.

Overall, not a terrible episode, but nothing really exciting.

6. thew40

Episode: “Fortunate Son”
    Trek Installment # 9
    Grade: B-

Better than most episodes of Enterprise, even though the plot was predictable. I like the idea of the Earth Cargo Service and wish it had been explored more. Mayweather also got some much needed development, which is always nice to see.

Actually the best scene in it was the last scene, with the two captains talking about what had happened in the meantime. It really showed the stark differences between both Starfleet and ECS. I just wish Archer had had a drink with him.

7. thew40

Episode: “Cold Front”
    Trek Installment # 10
    Grade: B

Based on the reaction of the alien in the first act, I tend to think that Archer and crew are getting a reputation for being the most annoyingly friendly species in space. I like the grumpy alien, though. The scene on the bridge where Reed leaves Mayweather in command is fun and it gives the characters a chance to really break out a little bit. There’s a far more relaxed feel to this crew than any other and I like that.

The Temporal Cold War elements play out well here, though we’re still left in the dark. Confusion is allowed to reign supreme, but (if I recall), there’s never really much in the way revelations here. This episode keeps it mysterious and intriguing – which works. The idea that only two characters we can’t really trust know what’s going and the rest are just pawns makes for a compelling episode.

It frustrates me that we never had any solid resolution to Temporal Cold War, but I’m not really letting that affect my opinion on this episode. Taken on its own, it’s a good one.

8. DevilEyes

DevilEyes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There is just one problem that prevents this episode from being excellent: it is a weekly TV series, and Trip, T'Pol and Mayweather are regular cast members. Had it been a movie, it could have been a very dark, very suspenseful story of paranoia and misunderstanding, with a Pitch Black-like atmosphere. But, since it is a TV show, and only at its 3rd episode, we knew from the start that T'Pol and Trip would not kill each other, that everything would turn out right in the end, and that they and Mayweather would survive - and therefore there just couldn't be any real suspense. The only thing we did not know is whether the two redshirts would survive - and I was happy that Novakovich did not die, not because I cared about him - we didn't even know the guy - but because killing off a redshirt would be conforming to the oldest, most worn-out Trek cliche.

Still, I would grade it higher - it deals in a good way with the suspicions, prejudice and conflicts present in the crew early on in the series. If only we had seen anything like that on Voyager... That alone makes me decide that ENT is better than VOY (not that this means much...), even though I've only seen 3 episodes so far.

9. thew40

I agree. I hadn't seen the episode since it first ran, so I couldn't remember if he was doomed or not. If anything, I wish the paranoia would have been more centered on the redshirts, as (like you said) we knew the others were going to survive.

--------

Episode: “Silent Enemy”
    Trek Installment # 11
    Grade: B+
    Viewing Date: September 22, 2009

Another good episode. Nice way to show up the beginning of phasers, strong development for both Reed and Archer, and a good kick in the face. Even the music was better than average. Archer admitting that they may have left Earth too early is surprising – but well done. His fear of being overpowered and his concerns about meeting so many aggressive aliens really launches him forward in terms of character development.

The aliens themselves are mysterious and strange, which only helps further the idea of danger and paranoia. The Reed subplot was kinda fun too and it thankfully showed off Hoshi, who is very rapidly becoming one of my favorite characters.

10. wecoyote

wecoyote Ensign Red Shirt

I have an Excel spreadsheet that breaks down the sequence as it relates to the DVDs that are available through Netflix. If anyone is interested, PM me and I can e-mail it to you.

I have done the same thing and am on the last three discs of ENT season 4.

All along I have been a TNG fan and the latter movies with Capt. Pecard. I had never seen ENT until I started this. I must admit, in my eyes (please don't flame me), ENT is just as good.

Again, PM me if anyone wants me to e-mail the spreadsheet.

11. thew40

Episode: “Dear Doctor”
    Trek Installment # 12
    Grade: B-
    Viewing Date: September 23, 2009

Another strong showing for Enterprise as the spotlight finally turns on Phlox. Phlox is the best part of this episode, as the moral debate is a little bland for me. I mean to say, it’s interesting and I’m satisfied with its conclusion, but it just didn’t do much for me.

The development of Phlox is way past due, but it’s done very well here. I liked seeing his friendship with Hoshi, his working relationship with Archer, and his potential romance with Cutler through his eyes. And having Cutler along was something I appreciated, as I grew attached to her in “Strange New World.” Like I mentioned before, I would have loved to of seen a larger secondary cast build-up.

12. thew40

Episode: “Sleeping Dogs”
    Trek Installment # 13
    Grade: C
    Viewing Date: September 26, 2009

A surprisingly boring episode, despite the inclusion of the Klingons (which normally make it interesting, if not action packed). The threat of the Klingons was dull, the gas giant was lame, and I felt like the crew was in zero danger.

The argument between T’Pol and Hoshi and Reed about trying to help the Klingons is obviously a callback to “Broken Bow,” though a reference would have been nice.

First contact with gagh was fun, along with the rest of Klingon dining choices.

I liked the Hoshi/T’Pol scene. Surprising, actually, and very much appreciated. Great character development and relationship building. I would have liked to have seen moments like these more often with T’Pol and other characters besides Trip.

The Klingon female’s insistence that Archer is going to steal their technology really strikes me as paranoia and has me wondering if this was an attempt to tie back into the more stealthy and sneaky Klingons of the original series. Could it be that the Klingons have stolen technology and thus fear it happening to them, hence their more paranoid and covert movements during the 23rd century, a time when Klingons themselves look all too human? In fact, Archer’s talk with Trip about the Klingons not trusting them speaks to this as well (why are the captain and chief engineer wielding, by the way? Why not, y’know, actual crew members? )

I think if you look for the more subtle connections between Enterprise and TOS and jump to a few conclusions, you would find that Enterprise lends a lot to TOS. As we’ll see, relations between the Klingons and humans continue to be rocky. In fact, with just those few short scenes with the Klingons, we’re given our first real glimpse behind the scenes at the Klingon Empire. I’ll have more on this when we get further out, though.

13. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So technically you should be watching TOS's "The Cage" first if your going chronological order. It's hard to say if Enterprise is truly a TOS sequal, I think it's more of a sequal from the movie Star Trek: First Contact. The Borg are essentially the cause of the changes in Trek as we know it.

14. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

Why? In the internal chronology of the Star Trek universe the events of Enterprise come before The Cage.

15. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

"Dear Dorctor" and "Fortunate Son" rated higher than "Andorian Incident"? :guffaw: I'm beginning to wonder if this is a joke thread with randomized ratings just to see how people react.

16. thew40

No, it's not.

"Andorian Incident" had plenty of action and it introduced Shran, but other than that, I didn't like it that much. There wasn't much to like about it. It was very predictable and I hated the way Archer talked to T'Pol throughout, considering his development up to that point.

"Dear Doctor" finally fleshed out Phlox and spent some nice time developing his relationships. The "moral decision" may have been lackluster and the science of it didn't make much sense, but I'll take it. "Fortunate Son" likewise was predictable, but I liked it and appreciated having ECS featured prominently.

I am, however, saving "Regeneration" for after "First Contact."

17. thew40

Episode: “Shadows of P’Jem”
    Trek Installment # 14
    Grade: D+

Long story short: The Vulcans, pissed at Archer, punish him by taking away T’Pol. Meanwhile, the Vulcans and Andorians get involved with a rescue mission on Coridan (where they’re fighting behind the scenes) where Archer and T’Pol are being held. T’Pol takes a shot for a Vulcan captain named Sopeck and everyone decides T’Pol’s fine where she belongs.

This episode largely serves as a sequel to “The Andorian Incident,” but it lacks all of the fun of that episode. There’s very little here to really appreciate. The story is contrived and even though I found Coridan to be pretty interesting, it was brushed aside rather quickly. The only redeeming quality of this episode is the return of Shran. Nothing pushes the Vulcan/Andorian subplot forward, nothing makes me feel sorry for Archer or T’Pol, and nothing really drew me in.

18. thew40

Episode: “Shuttlepod One”
    Trek Installment # 15
    Grade: A

There’s a lot of good about this episode and for an episode where a lot doesn’t happen, that’s saying something. “Shuttlepod One” is a great character building episode. Have Trip and Reed faced with mortality really breaks out their flaws and ideals and presents an honest and intriguing look at how one faces death.

Just a real class act of an episode. Well done. Nothing else to really say about it - this is a great one.

19. thew40

Episode: “Fusion”
    Trek Installment # 16
    Grade: D
    Viewing Date: September 29, 2009

How much more interesting would this episode have been had it been revealed the emotional Vulcans were really just Romulans doing intelligence on Enterprise and messing with T’Pol out of hatred of their Vulcan ancestry? 100 times better, that’s how much.

But alas, we’re given a rather silly episode with some slap-happy Vulcans on a tour of the galaxy. There’s the round one that hangs around Trip, who doesn’t get along with his Dad. There’s the psychotic one who mind-attacks T’Pol. And there’s the one that loves chicken.

The episode just makes a big about showing off these Vulcans. “Look! Here are some Vulcans that are emotional, yet still jerks!” Yadda, yadda, yadda. Where’s the interesting part?

Now, I’ll give them a little credit in that emotional Vulcans are somewhat interesting, but it lost me when the sleazy Jazz music kicked in.

Archer very much gets into T’Pol personal life when he tells her to have an open mind. What business is that of his to say something like that to her? I mean, he’s not even being subtle about it like Picard used to be whenever he’d have Worf deal with other Klingons.

No thanks. I really wish these guys were Romulans.

And just why was this episode called “Fusion?” What fused in it?

20. thew40

Episode: “Rogue Planet”
    Trek Installment # 17
    Grade: C-
    Viewing Date: September 29, 2009

This felt like a real pointless episode. Much like the previous one, there was very little to it. I actually liked the hunters more than the shape-shifting telepathic slug people. They were fun, relatable, and well-rounded. I would have rather had an episode with Reed and Archer running through the jungle with these guys than the stuff we had. Actually, it would have been better that way – it could have played up the difficulty that they have in trying to be smug and superior in the face of a somewhat brutal, yet all too human tradition.

Overall, this episode felt fluffy and made our heroes look just plain gosh-darn heroic. And not in a Kirk way.