Your latest purchases, cont.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Goliath, Oct 20, 2010.

1. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Humm...I have not ever heard this recording. I'm curious as to what you think about it, wonderful soprano aside.

I don't really have any extra money right now...but I'm always on the lookout for top notch recordings to put in my wish list!

2. Goliath

Goliath Vice Admiral Admiral

^It's new. I only recently heard of it myself. But the orchestra, Europa Galante, and its conductor, Fabio Biondi, are both big names in the world of Baroque music. I have another Vivaldi opera they've recorded, Bajazet, which was top-notch. And like I said--at least three of the singers are heavy hitters. I'll be surprised if it isn't very good.

If you enjoy Baroque opera, I strongly recommend Genaux's disc of Arias for Farinelli.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2011
  3. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

Thanks!

You know, it was only recently that I was looking through the name change list and figured out who you used to be. And the first thing that popped into my mind was..."Ah! So that's where the most knowledgeable classical music commentator on the board went! Gotta start paying attention when this 'Goliath' character writes something about classical music and opera!"

Next time you do a name change, you really need to send out a memo to the classical music fans around here. :lol:

4. Miss Chicken

Miss Chicken Little three legged cat with attitude Admiral

My latest purchases have been some apps for my iPad. I was extremely pleased to find out that Mike Wilk's Ultimate Alphabet was available on the iPad. I bought the book several years ago but was only able to identify a small portion of each picture, but now, with clues in the game, I have identified all 362 objects in the A picture and I am working my way through B's 547 objects. The letter A was free but I had to pay for B C and D and will be buying EFG and H tomorrow.

5. Goliath

Sorry. :o

I'm certainly not the most knowledgeable person on the subject around here, though. I would describe my knowledge of the subject as fair to middling. I just have a large CD collection. ;)

6. Kestra

Kestra Admiral Premium Member

This is really random, but those of you interested in classical music may want to check out www.ariama.com if you haven't already. I don't use it myself but you may find it useful.

7. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    [​IMG]

We're already engaged, so she knows it's coming, but she's not getting it until the party to celebrate the engagement in 11 more days.

8. Yeoman Randi

Yeoman Randi Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Beautiful. Congratulations again!

9. ares93

ares93 Commodore Commodore

Congratz, mate! Beautiful ring.

Is it only the flash on your camera or is the ring made of silver/white gold?

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Blu-rays:

- Ring of Fire (IMAX)

- Damnation Alley

- Brazil

11. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

Really?!?!?!!

I need to go get that!

12. Holdfast

Holdfast Fleet Admiral Admiral

Diana Damrau is a minor deity, at the very least...! :D

You know, I never really got the love for Brazil. I much prefer the original 1984 treatment of the theme. Brazil turns it into kafkaesque comic absurdity rather than the Orwellian horror show. Admittedly, Brazil is the more realistic depiction of what that kind of state would actually be like, but I didn't find it as enjoyable a treatment as 1984, as a result of this decision.

13. trekkiedane

trekkiedane Admiral Admiral

^For me it's just the pretty pictures... and the comedy.

14. Goliath

REC 2, on DVD.

For those who don't know what this is, REC and its sequel are a couple of superior Spanish horror movies--rabid zombie stories with a supernatural twist.

REC is the story of a television reporter and her cameraman who are doing a news feature on night-shift firefighters. The fire crew receives an emergency call to an old apartment building. Soon after they arrive, horrific incidents begin, and everyone is trapped inside--quarantined by the authorities. It was actually remade in North America under the title Quarantine.

REC 2 begins right before the first movie ends, as a police SWAT team is sent into the building, along with a Health Ministry official. It reveals the secret behind the occurrences behind the first movie, which turn out to be much more than an outbreak of some kind of zombie virus. It's a wild mash-up of elements from 28 Days Later, The Blair Witch Project, and The Exorcist, told in a non-linear style that's reminiscent of Pulp Fiction.

I highly recommend both movies to horror fans. :evil:

15. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    White gold! (she doesn't like the look of yellow gold on her skin tone)

16. Yeoman Randi

[​IMG]

So.fucking.good.

17. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

She will LOVE it! Excellent choice.

18. Yeoman Randi

Body Heat on dvd. Arrived today. Young Mickey Rourke and young William Hurt.

Ladies, it don't get no better than that.

19. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

Bought some mascara yesterday. I have to get brown, which isn't easy to find, since I'm so pale; black mascara looks silly next to my uber-white skin.

Also picked up some lemon soap for the kitchen and some Dr. Pepper.

What an exciting life I lead. :rolleyes:

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Well, at least you can pick up Dr Pepper without any trouble. It's terribly hard to get your hands on some here in Germany.

See? I totally failed to prove my point that you do in fact lead an exciting life. But then again, there is something to be said for leading a safe, relaxed life. I should probably stop rambling now.