Episode Recommendations for my new book(s)?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by EF37, Jun 28, 2015.

1. EF37

EF37 Cadet Newbie

I recently got the Star Trek: Invasion! Series and I was checking to see if anyone has any recommendations on certain episodes that pertain to this series?

For example, if I knew someone who was about to read ST:Federation, I would recommend that they watch Journey to Babel & Metamorphosis from TOS and Sarek from TNG, just to kind of refresh the history of Cochrane and timeline in which this book takes place.

As much as I hate to admit, when I first read Federation, I hadn't seen Metamorphosis in a while and I just had to stop reading and watch the episode to refresh my memory.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

2. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd recommend TOS "Friday's Child" before First Strike. There's a pretty direct connection.

3. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe the Voyager entry has appearances from the Maquis crew from 'Learning Curve.' They're cameos that don't really have a major effect on the plot, but you might rewatch it just for the sake of having faces for the names.

For the most part, though, I think they're all pretty standalone from the shows. The Voyager entry would have probably been written in the early part of the second season at the earliest, so it probably would have been working as much from the original writer's bible as the first season.

4. borgboy

borgboy Commodore Commodore

I just finished re-reading the Invasion! series a few days ago. It is really enjoyable overall, but I don't really see where it would be enhanced by a recent rewatch of any specific episode.
    The Voyager book very much feels a bit off in places, such as Janeway being a highly skilled engineer and Neelix being super competent and thinking rings around everyone else. It makes me think that the author of that one was working off the series bible.

5. EF37

EF37 Cadet Newbie

Thanks for the recommendations! I'll definitely have to watch Friday's Child again, haven't seen that one in a while. Interesting about Voyager as this book came out early during the series run, I may have to get in that first-second season mind frame with the characters...any excuse to watch some Trek is just fine with me.

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I didn't see this thread when I started my books and episodes thread, if a mod wants to merge them feel free.