how many of you realy like the TOS tv show

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by kennysmith, Jun 3, 2013.

1. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Honest question, does anyone think theres an age cut off where people generally would prefer one of the later Treks or even not like TOS altogether?

As a 28, almost 29 year old, I always preferred TOS reruns to TNG first runs on BBC2

Of course its Star Trek :p
    Its a shame that all the TOS productions put in the time and money to build physical sets, where as fan productions of later shows all use CGI.

2. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Star Trek: The Original Series is my favorite TV show ever.

3. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Like most fans of a certain age, I grew up on TOS and it's still my touchstone where Trek is concerned. It's the only Trek series I own in its entirety.

5. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a TNG era boy, I grew up watching Picard and co. :) But in most respects I actually like TOS more. It's got an infectious feel that appeals to me. I think you need to be "in the zone" to watch it with that kind of hindsight that it was very much a product of its time and make allowances for that, which is something that not everybody seems able to do. But speaking personally I do find it very easy to just pop an episode of TOS in and just let it take me on an adventure.

6. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I may only be 26, but reruns of TOS are what ingrained a love of Star Trek into me.

The only response I can give to the questions about whether I love TOS or not are these questions;

Does the Pope shit in the woods? -or- Are bears Catholic?

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Call me silly, but I think TOS has aged better than TNG. For a while it looked dated but it seems to have become timeless along the way.

8. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There's rarely any way to improve upon a classic.

9. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tos is my favorite Startrek series. I watched this series on tv . I like all of the characters and how their stories were shown tv.I like the other Startrek series but this my all time favorite.

10. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I grew up watching re-runs of TOS on the Beeb and that was the only Trek show, so yes I do enjoy watching.

11. Margaret

Margaret Ensign Newbie

The best. I grew up watching TOS and still watch it now.

12. Cinema Geekly

Cinema Geekly Commander Red Shirt

Cool! I get to be "that guy".

I own all three seasons (Remastered) largely because I love Trek in general and I am a completionist.

I think TOS has a handful of truly amazing episodes that easily stand the test of time, but it's average shows are now bad and it's bad shows aren't even made fun of anymore because it is so played out.

A lot of super cheesy and dated material that just never really connected with me. I enjoy the films II, III, IV, and VI far more than I enjoy the show itself.

But I am one of those heretics who think DS9 was the best show out them all so what do I know? LOL

13. Solariabsg25

Solariabsg25 Commodore Commodore

I love TOS. It does have it's flaws, but having grown up with it, nostalgia always wins out, even with some of the poorer episodes (Yes Spock's Brain, I'm looking at you!).

The first episode I can ever remember watching is The Ultimate Computer, simply because my earliest memory of the show is seeing multiple Enterprises on the screen.

14. Lance

Lance Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The cheese is all part of the fun. :) It's like watching the 1960s Batman series. You can either dig the vibe it's going for or not. Something like Spock's Brain has IMO got a rewatchability value that goes beyond whether it's good or bad television in itself.

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

True nostalgia helps, and it's just not with TV and Film, but music etc...

16. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

TOS has a few really great episodes, a lot of good episodes, a lot of bad episodes, and a handful of episodes that are just unwatchable.

I grew up watching TNG and later DS9, and never really liked TOS as a kid, but as an adult I've learned to appreciate it. I don't know that I could ever love it as much as someone who grew up in that era, but I certainly think it's a hell of a lot better than Voyager or Enterprise.

17. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

Loved it. The best of an of the incarnations.

18. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

It is the best of all of the series, even if not perfect.

19. Chrono85

Chrono85 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't like it as much as TNG, but it does have some great stories. I watch episodes on Netflix from time to time :).

20. NCC-1701-B

NCC-1701-B Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Although I didn't watch it properly until rather recently, I do really like it. Even though I'd not actually watched it fully, I knew pretty much everything about it, It's just something you know.