JMS Takes Over For Superman and Wonder Woman in July!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Mar 9, 2010.

1. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow...not only will JMS be writing the Superman Earth One graphic novels with artist Shane Davis but I just saw on Newsarama (surprised no one jumped on this already) that he'll be the new writer on both Superman and Wonder Woman starting with issues 701. Here is the link with the story...

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/jms-superman-wonder-woman-100308.html

Gail Simone is leaving Wonder Woman for Birds of Prey which is returning.

2. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So is JMS going to retcon things and have had Lana Lang get pregnant from Lex Luthor while in high school, but have hid it?

3. Jan

Jan Commodore Commodore

Probably not, since that was Joe Quesada's idea. He probably won't have either character make a deal with the devil, either.

I'm looking forward to this.

Jan

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it'll just be Superman's baby.

5. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

He'll probably make Superman and Wonder Woman like mythical beings and Superman will grow some new organic powers and Wondy will "be in the car"-

6. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Hmm ... Time to expand my pull file at the comic book store.

7. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm excited but cautious since I longed for Kurt Busiek to write Superman and was greatly disappointed by the stories he churned out.

8. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

In all seriousness, though, he could be a very good fit. He's a much better choice to write the main WW title than the previously-rumoured Grant Morrison, and his run on Thor shows he can write myth-based characters pretty well.

If he can avoid overt straw politics and picking up and leaving in the middle of things, I'd be happy.

9. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

JMS has long professed to be a Superman fan...his recent interviews with Newsarama regarding Earth One have stated that. I should add that he'll be starting with Wonder Woman in issue 601 lol.

10. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I find it odd that people assume he'll do the same things with Superman that he did with Spider-Man.

I mean, seriously, he's so going to totally make Superman "The One" and have him bring New Krypton a thousand years in the past to defeat the Shadows.

11. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I give it a year before they call in Geoff "Didn't I Just Clean Up This Mess?!" Johns.

12. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is Rucka going to continue on Action Comics after "War of the Supermen"? I thought Geoff had said he and Gary Frank would return, after Secret Origins is finished.

13. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I predict forthcoming storylines about advanced alien cultures and ancient gods interfering with mankind's development. :D

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Marc Guggenheim is taking over Action Comics. I don't think they've announced an artists yet. Hopefully Sterling Gates and Jamal Igle will continue on Supergirl.

Johns and Frank will be doing the Batman: Earth One OGN and, at least for now, will not be returning to the Superman line. Sad since the books floundered after Johns left the regular titles.

15. Bad Bishop

Bad Bishop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is surprising. I expected Gail Simone to remain as writer on Wonder Woman for a long time. I'll be interested in JMS' approach to Superman.

16. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I know JMS' run on Spidey was pretty long - was it about a 100 issues or so?

How long was his run on Thor? I think bringing Asgard to Oklahoma (which sounds weird when I read what I write) seemed to work in the only collection that I've read from that run.

JMS always sounds so reasonable in his interview. Especially how he always makes the point that these are not his character's. These are DC (or Marvel) characters so he needs to make sure that he is adding/building on to these characters and also taking them where they want to go.

17. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Hard to see how his approach to Superman in the GN won't inform his take in the regular books. Even if that origin is not "canon".

18. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is what I'm thinking, and it would pretty much make the Johns / Frank "Secret Origin" worthless right out of the gate. At least Mark Waid's "Birthright" had a couple years of ambiguity before it was thrown out the window.

Of course, Geoff Johns has pretty much taken over Didio's old job as creative guidance for the company, so that could help keep "Secret Origin" alive. The question is how do you reign in someone like JMS if you want to keep him working for the company?

JMS just hasn't seemed like much of a "play ball" kind of guy in my opinion. I'm not saying that's a bad thing; I'm just saying that I don't think he'll accept having the boundary of another writer's ideas. JMS certainly didn't accept it when Quesada started meddling with Spider-man; and JMS didn't accept it when Quesada wanted to do a Marvel U crossover with Thor. In both of those instances, JMS just quit.

Pretty much. JMS did 74 issues of Amazing Spider-man, but he also wrote some issues Sensational Spider-man and Friendly Neighborhood Spider-man during crossovers (such as "One More Day").

19. hyzmarca

hyzmarca Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm hoping that he'll have Superman come out of the closet and dump Lois for Lex. I don't think he will, but I can always hope.

20. coolghoul

coolghoul Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Thanks.

I have been reading some of his run in the graphic novels format. Just read both One More Day (finally) and reread some of the earlier stuff with Peter and MJ finally meeting and resuming the marriage (The Life and Death of Spiders and Till the Stars turn cold). While there are several things that I don't quite agree with in JMS' run - the organic webshooters. I wasn't a big fan of the spider-totem storylines also tho' I liked both Ezekiel and Morlun which are both corner-stones of the spider-totem storylines. But his writing made it all fairly engrossing.

I would be quite interested in reading about how he treats WW's more mythological side (rather that Diana Prince, Ambassador of Themyscira - which was done enjoyably, I thought, by others before him). I have been a bit negative on the whole Superman thing for a while now. The idea of New Krypton doesn't really interest me. But hopefully he will be the only Superman around by the time we get to JMS.