Agents of SHIELD. Season 1 Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Trekker4747, Sep 25, 2013.

1. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

If that were the literal truth, my appreciation for the character might go up a couple notches.

2. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:eek: Blasphemy!

3. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

After watching this episode I would love to see Jaimie Alexander play Savik in the new Star Trek if they ever decide to add that character.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I could see that.

So wooden.

5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Not Wōden?

6. Ruaidhri

Ruaidhri Commodore Commodore

Ruaidhri...Toronto in body, Philly in spirit!
    :guffaw: Ding ding ding!

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think that any reference to the Hulk raging uncontrollably would undermine the character arc from the Avengers. The end of the Avengers established that Banner could now control the Hulk.

His comment "I'm always angry" just before turning demonstrated that Banner was now in control.

Any portrayal of the Hulk from here on out would need to acknowledge that.

8. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

^I think it depends on the circumstances of the Hulk-out. He had two Hulk-outs in Avengers-- One where he lost control and Hulked-out unwillingly, almost killing Black Widow and fighting Thor. The second one, where Banner willingly unleashed the Hulk, is when he seemed to have control.

The same thing applies to the third Hulk-out in the TIH movie.

9. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

He's in charge of the Hulk when he chooses to turn into it, when he's injured or otherwise thrown into the transformation against his will, the rage takes over and 'the beast' is just that.

It's not quite so simple as him always controlling it, and it really depends what level of control he has at all even in that state.

I mean remember Cap even just makes it simple, "smash" and aims him at the enemy.

10. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

To use the terminology from TIH, I don't think Banner "controls" the Hulk so much as he "aims" him.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Basically. Which is all well and good when he's aimed the right way and there aren't too many people/buildings in the way.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I guess it's that Banner controls when he Hulks out but not so much what the Hulk does afterward, aside from being "aimed" in the right direction.

The "aim" thing reminds me of the Lou Ferrigno Hulk in the TV series. Banner didn't have any conscious control of the change and tried not to let it happen, but the Hulk always reflected Banner's emotions -- attacking the people/things that had threatened him as Banner and protecting the people Banner wanted to protect. And he retained Banner's unwillingness to kill.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like that the Hulk saved Iron Man.

14. Luminus

Luminus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

To be fair, that was Loki's fault. We clearly see Loki playing with his mind the first time they see each other on the Hellicarrier.

15. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Meanwhile Ultimate Hulk tired to eat Freddie Prinze Junior.

There is a Hulk for all Seasons.

16. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

But at the end of the Avengers we see a different Hulk than we have seen previously in any of the movies. Hulk is more like the comic versions where he retains a sense of intelligence and is more than just a mindless monster. He actually becomes part of the "team". Sure, Cap says "smash" but the Hulk obviously is able to reason during the battle. He saves Iron Man (great scene!) and he is with the team when they confront Loki at the end.

One could argue that Banner/Hulk has always been able to do this and we just haven't seen it, but I would say that this is the first time it has happened in this way. This is what gives Banner his character arc.

He has been living, frightened, away from society trying to manage his anger to prevent himself from turning into the Hulk--so he doesn't become a raging, mindless monster.

At the end of the Avengers, he has more confidence and embraces Hulk for the first time as part of who he is. To me, doing this, creates a different Hulk--one that thinks and interacts with his surroundings and is truly capable of knowing the difference between the good guys and the bad guys, and right and wrong.

17. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

Then tossed him aside casually :lol:

18. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

Is the Hulk catching Iron Man the single best scene in any of the Marvel movies so far? The theater I was in utterly erupted when it happen, unlike any other scene in any other Marvel movie.

19. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Sorry, I was just going with the metaphor. I didn't create it. If you want to take it literally, it really doesn't make sense. I'm not really sure who isn't supposed to know what a zebra is in this context. I agree with the rest of your post, though.

He failed to control the Hulk earlier in the same movie. Besides, in my idea, he does control the Hulk for the most part. It's just everyone else thinks he doesn't.

20. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

The point is he can attempt to control the Hulk when it's his idea, and then only to a certain degree (Hulk did still sucker punch Thor despite Banner not having any issues with him). The Hulk will still get out of control if Banner loses his shit, or the Hulk comes out despite his effort (such as when getting shot, induced into rage by magic, etc.).