Primeval series 4

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Chris3123, Jun 30, 2010.

1. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So off topic.

2. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

right ok back on topic

having seen the mini episodes, I hope they didnt give too much away, and there seems to be quite a few people in charge of differnt things.

3. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

I went back to series 1 and I'm up to series 3, hopefully should finish in time for the start of the new series tomorrow.

4. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

This Is Not My Life is good. Haven't watched it all but liked what I saw.

5. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Recently finished watching it and was quite impressed. Might be worth its own thread.

6. Bob The Skutter

Bob The Skutter Complete Arse Cleft In Memoriam

It has it's own thread somewhere. Firehawk made it I believe.

7. lennier1

lennier1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks, found it: http://trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=130527

8. cylkoth

cylkoth Commodore Commodore

Here's an interview with Ben Masterson (Becker). Digitalspy

Season starts tonight on BBC America, 9pmEST/8 Central. Waah...I don't get BBCA, but I'm hoping the show will be available On Demand. The Doctor Who Xmas special and the previous 4 specials were in the TV series section under BBC America (in the TV Entertainment tab). So if you don't get the network in your cable tier but have digital basic, check the On Demand section under TV Series.

9. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

to be honest I thought the first half of the episode was dull, certainly the stuff set in the present day, the second half being better, even if it was very easy that Connor would find the control device like he did, but they were always a very easy plot device.

Comes to something when Becker is the best charcater in the cast.

Some good CGI however, some parts better than others however.

and finally playing an S Club track? really?

All that said nothing I watch today has pleased me, maybe im being unduely harsh.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
  10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wamdue, I've been "meh" about the series ever since they removed the Nick Cutter character. It's a show I watch when there's nothing else to do. I'm ... er ... getting ready ... to watch 4x01 right now, but these days it's in the same bin as Warehouse 13 and Eureka for me.

11. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Given who is in the cast, I burst out laughing when that came on.

12. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

oddly enough that is why I mentioned it, I would have let it go without mention if it wasnt for the fact Abbey is an ex S Clubber (if that is the phrase). I did notice she wasnt moving to the funky s club beat mentioned in the the song.

13. Australis

Just noticed this in the Wikipedia entry:
    The Reeves-Stevens are good writers, and know their history, so this might be OK.

14. Australis

Quick question: anyone know if Jason Flemyng is going to make a reappearance? It'd be very cool if he did, even if just to get him home.

15. wamdue

wamdue Admiral Admiral

dont quote me on this

Danny appears in the series 4 finale, and is a regular in S5.

16. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Wow, BBC America got it "live"? Cool. An enjoyable episode as always. I never get sick of seeing a dinosaur running around modern day England. I do wish the cast would stop rebooting, though. I miss the older characters. At least Connor and Abby are still around.

17. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

But enough about the Royal Family. [​IMG]

18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, it's not bad so far. I'm a bit worried that it seems to be from new writers unconnected to the original creators -- that rarely turns out well -- but it turned out basically okay, although the climax was highly predictable from the moment Connor was pulled up into the air. There seems to have been a logical progression in the ARC's technology, like the fancier version of their anomaly-containing field. And there were some good character moments, particularly the exchange between Lester and Jess. "You can be replaced, you know." (dismissive smirk) "You're hilarious." I'm glad that by this point, Jess seems to have gotten over the more timid, flighty persona she exhibited in the web-exclusive mini-episodes I saw a few days ago.

And I liked the bit at the end, with Abby and Connor still following the survival habits they learned in the wild. I think if the show sticks with exploring how the experience has changed them, it could make them more interesting characters than they were before. Maybe Connor will be tougher now and not quite so goofy. As for Abby, in season 3 she was angry all the time, it seemed, but now she seems warmer, more sensitive. I hope that sticks. And the longer hair helps give her a softer look too. I like it.

Was that Helen's diary that Abby threw in the fire? That, along with the loss of the anomaly controller, suggests they're pretty much closing off old threads and moving on. I just hope they come up with something worthwhile to replace them with. Last season, with Cutter gone and Helen absent for most of the season, they were kind of directionless. I guess we've got a couple of major arcs already -- the mysterious guy that Matt's secretly reporting to, and whatever Burton's agenda happens to be (I'm sure he must have one).

What the heck is an S Club?

Well, several hours behind, but on the same day, evidently. Well, it's still the same day here, but early the next morning there. Let's see, 9 PM EST would be, what, 2 AM GMT?

They were my least favorites of the original cast. Well, I liked Abby at first, but by series 3 she'd become so surly and unpleasant that I could hardly stand her. The one character I really enjoyed in S3 was Lester, who really came into his own toward the end of S2.

19. Australis

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got a kick out of Connor's Cretaceous-period anomaly detector. Actually, the whole episode was enjoyable. The dinosaurs looked terrific, and the CGI team played "hide the feet" a lot less with them this time -- the raptor looked amazing, and the spinosaurus looked really good in the arena scene.

I'm surprised how much I like the new characters. I still miss Nick Cutter, but Matt Anderson looks like a promising spiritual replacement. And, as Christopher notes, a matured Connor should fill in any gaps given his oath to Cutter as he died. After watching the prequels, I'm excited about his mysterious background. I'm betting the fellow he's in league with -- "Gideon" -- has something to do with research on the North American anomalies and is a tie-in to the Canadian production.

Jess Parker is a bit too flighty. I don't especially care for her as a professional, and doubt she would have been selected for a job like this. Right now, she's an exposition tool useful for the others to explain themselves to. She's the one who should have a mysterious background.

Philip Burton is written as too sinister for my tastes. I suppose it is a sign of the times when a bureaucrat is more appealing than an entrepreneur. My own biases would make Burton more well-meaning, but I'm sure he'll somehow become the heavy in all of this. He's the new Helen Cutter, I'm sure, intent on grabbing a big slice of everybody's pie through manipulation of the anomalies. It tickles me pink that the creative team didn't paint the government guy that way. Oh well, if we're talking about a place where temporal anomalies let dinosaurs play in modern metropolitan locations, I suppose anything is possible.

Anyway, between the series 4 prequels and the first new episode, I'm suddenly back to really liking this show. It's something to keep me going until the new Doctor Who starts airing.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011