(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Tomalak

Tomalak Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Apparantly our rich chairman has given Bily I want to buy 8 strikers Davies, £20 million for new player contracts and transfer buys. While I think this total of £20 million is wrong I do think Nigel wants to help Billy buy a team and not 11 strikers. Looks like we have struck a deal to sign Dexter Blackstock which means the end for Nathan Tyson IMO and with Robert Earnsahw and super sub Joe Garner we are in a good position for goals.

We look set to strike another loan deal or even buy right back Gunter, which could be a key deal though we need a centre back for the outgoing Breckin (my choice is Alex Baptiste who I saw make his debut in 2003 and man of the match performance in the League 2 Playoff final in 2004, real quaity there).

We need a tricky winger too and looks like were going to sign Lee Camp though am happy with Paul Smith.

3. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

I am gutted.

The only thing keeping me slightly sane now is the prospect of welcoming Newcastle and Leeds to the new stadium across the road and destroying them.

And I guess at least I'm not a Norwich supporter.

4. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Billy's eyes would light up at £20m, he'd be wondering just how many midfielders he could buy. Billy's idea of a good defender is a midfielder that knows how to tackle, and his idea of a good striker is a midfielder who can shoot.

I wouldn't trust Billy Davies with £20m roubles, let alone sterling.

Young Nige will be concentrating on getting our defence sorted out over the summer. Good keeper, creative midfield and good options up front. Sort the defence out and we'll be alright next season. Sounds like we're looking to sort something out for Barazite again for next season, either loan or permanent.

Rob Hulse got our player of the season this year. Personally, given the massive change in fortunes I'd have given it to Gary Teale who for most of this season has looked a completely different player to that one that played under Billy and Paul Jewell.

Derby, Forest and Leicester all in the same division again next season. Only need Leeds to come up as well and we're in for some cracking games next year.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think Hulse deserved the award for his contribution over the whole season, Teale has been a bit of a revalation but only for a few months. Assuming we don't lose anyone vital over the summer then I'm quietly confident about next season. My main worry is that I doubt Nige has much of a budget, and if BD is getting £20 million then it might initially make a difference...can't believe there's talk of him buying Camp who he got rid of from us in his early days!

Considering some of the team who might be coming down (please let Newcastle be relagated, please!!!) it could indeed be a cracking league, and the sort of league where all the big teams keep beating each other and anyone can win it.

6. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A joke one of the Setanta puppets told:

What's the difference between Alan Shearer and Newcastle?
    Next season Alan Shearer will be on Match of the Day.

7. StolenThunder

StolenThunder Poster Premium Member

Arsenal having a little accident here. Still, maybe there'll be a fantastic comeback and if not we'll just have to win the whole thing next year.

8. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

Safe to say that was not a 'little' accident. Fletcher's sending off was a joke, otherwise very good night for United. Lovely third goal.

9. Tomalak

You've got to remember that this is a very, very young team.

10. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Ha I like it!:lol:

11. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

A young team that will hopefully be undergoing a serious clear out in the summer. Once again, when it really mattered, Arsenal have failed to deliver.

We blew the Champions League final by throwing away the lead against Barca. We blew the league by throwing away leads against Man U and Chelsea last season. We blew the FA Cup by throwing away a lead against Chelsea at Wembley and we've blown the Champions League this season by just not showing up.

Until we have a core squad of players who are not lazy, spoiled children who earn too much money at too young an age we will never win anything again. None of them care. They're all on ridiculous money whether they win or not. At least the players at other clubs on similar money are older and have delivered in their careers.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

This isn't intended as a slight, or an insult because I do have a lot of respect for Wenger as a manager, but do Arsenal fans ever think maybe he has been there too long? I'm not an advocate for firing managers willy nilly but it is a while since you've won anything, despite clearly being a top four team (leaving Villa and Everton way behind in the end)

I dunno, given the financial situation Arsenal are in as opposed to the other three teams it might be that anyone but Wenger wouldn't do nearly as well within the same framework, I guess I'm just curious as to if the Arsenal board would ever consider getting rid of him?

13. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^Wenger is untouchable. He does the best he can with the limited means at his disposal. Unfortunately, for every hard working professional like Fabregas or Clichy we get a lazy, thinks he's already made it type like Bendtner.

If we lost Wenger, we would lose his ability to bring young players through and we'd just sign whatever mediocre, overpriced players someone else could bring in with our limited budget.

14. Tomalak

I wonder if Wenger's shot himself in the foot by spending big (for him) on Arshavin. He's got quality, experience and character in abundance, and the difference is plain to see. Are gooners going to wonder why they can't have more players like him?

15. TheArsenal

TheArsenal Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm wondering. Arshavin proves, like all the winning Arsenal sides of the past, that balance between youth and established talent is key. I think it is the lesson that is impossible to ignore from this season. I hope Arsene sees this lesson, and not blame it on the numerous injuries this season. The good news is, the difference between this team, and one that can win things, is a few key players in a few keys positions. And, of course, unloading players who no longer show the desire like Adebayor. Thanks for all the goals last season. Good bye.

Wenger doesn't need to leave. I remember the years before him too clearly to say something that mad. And replace him with whom? And at this level, there are very few out there who could guarantee success. And none I can think of who could put out a team that can play Arsenal Football, stay in the Top 4, challenge for the Champions League every year, without breaking the bank.

Arsene does need to learn a bit of flexibility with his youth policy.

16. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Fuck. Fantastic goal by Essien, but I really really don't want Chelsea in the final.

17. Tomalak

Chelsea are more likely to beat United in the final, which is the one consolation for me. I won't watch the final though, just as I didn't last year.

18. Roger Wilco

At least Manchester plays football, I don't know what it should be called that Chelsea's doing.

19. Roger Wilco

20. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love it! :lol: