Trek guest actors in maybe surprising roles

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Maurice, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He wasn't strangled, was he? ;)

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, he made it!

3. Forbin

Forbin Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mark Lenard was the bad guy in a SEARCH episode I just watched, "The Gold Machine". Again, screen grabs if my website ever comes back.

4. CorporalCaptain

I caught a very young-looking Yvonne Craig, in Perry Mason "The Case of the Lazy Lover" (1958).

5. Forbin

Mariette Hartley takes care of crazy Mannix:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Speaking of Mariette Hartley, with James Garner having been a recent topic, I'm surprised this memorable series of commericals didn't come up here (though it may have been mentioned somewhere way upthread):

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UV8rEEvfh3g[/yt]

They were so convincing as a couple that Hartley reportedly took to wearing a T-shirt that proclaimed she wasn't James Garner's wife.

7. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

Hope this qualifies - a quick ad/promo for the 1964 Miss Rhengold contest - the last one ever. It features 74 year baseball legend Casey Stengel 'interviewing' a couple of the nominees - including future Yeoman Landon Celeste Yarnall..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTcKIpVjH5A

Just FYI: Miss Rheingold was a contest run by the folks at Rheingold Beer, which was THE big beer in New York for ages. It was a truly huge phenomenon in the New York area. Millions of votes would be cast at bars in the New York area, and Miss Rheingold usually ended up with modeling and acting gigs for years. And why Casey Stengel? Rheingold sponsored the Mets radio/TV broadcasts in the 60s, and Casey was Mets manager - way more famous than any of his players then...

8. EnsignHarper

EnsignHarper Captain Captain

A Trek Guest Star Doubleheader today on MeTV's Saturday showings of Wanted: Dead of Alive today!

First, Susan Oliver - in an episode written by....Fred Freiberger

Second, Harry Townes!

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Ah! The Ol' Perfesser!!! :techman: :techman:

"See that Starfleet cadet over there? He's 20 years old. In 10 years he has a chance to be Captain. Now, that cadet over there, he's 20 too. In 10 years he has a chance to be 30."

10. CorporalCaptain

Wow. I remember that commercial! :techman:

11. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"See that Starfleet cadet over there? He's 20 years old. In 10 years he has a chance to be Captain. Now, that cadet over there, he's 20 too. In 10 years he has a chance to be 30."

Must be in security.

12. Forbin

The Invaders, "The Life Seekers", features Diana Muldaur as an alien who wants to go back home and convince her people that mankind deserves to be left alone.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also featuring, in a small role, Paul Comi (Balance of Terror) as a cop at a road block who thinks there could be Romulan spies aboard this very car (okay, not really):
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

AND, Stephen Brooks (Ensign Garrivick in Obsession) as a patrol cop who sees too much and dies for it.
    [​IMG]

Also Morgan Jones, who was the Colonel in Assignment Earth! But I'm tired of scrolling thru the episode and grabbing shots. :)

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  13. Push The Button

Push The Button Commodore Commodore

Corbett is giving off a strong William Windom vibe in this picture.

14. Push The Button

In Outrage, a 1973 TV movie starring Robert Culp, we hit the jackpot when it comes to Trek guest actors:

Jason Wingreen (Dr. Linke), Mark Lenard, Don Stark, Phillip Pine (Col. Green), Walt Davis (played a Klingon, a Romulan, and Tantalus in Dagger of The Mind), and James B. Sikking (Capt. Styles)

15. Joel_Kirk

Joel_Kirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In the Joel Zone, identifying as Sexually Fluid.
    I watched the two-part pilot to Knight Rider and Charles Napier (Adam from 'This Way to Eden' and the military official from DS9's 'Little Green Men') showed up as a demolition racer. Robert Philips from 'The Menagerie' (and a few "Mission: Impossible" episodes) shows up as a security guard.

16. CorporalCaptain

One nit here is that Tantalus V was the name of the colony in "Dagger of the Mind". Walt Davis played a therapist.

17. Forbin

That Popinjay Fox chases David Vincent and an Alien traitor in the second-to-the-last episode of The Invaders!

[​IMG]

18. Push The Button

Hm, I knew it didn't sound right, but lifted the information directly from IMDB without checking it first.

19. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Michael J. Pollard ("Miri") shows up in two early episodes of the first season of Dobie Gillis as Jerome Krebs, Maynard's cousin. Pollard was brought in when Bob Denver got his draft notice. After Denver failed his physical, he came back and resumed his role. Pollard was paid off on his contract and released. It's too bad we never saw Pollard return to Star Trek, he might have been good as a Ferengi.

Of course, William Schallert ("Tribbles") was a recurring character on the show as teacher Mr. Pomfritt, and it's probably where I first saw him. Before Bob Denver was Gilligan, I knew him as Maynard G. Krebs.

Personal thanks to Harvey for making it possible for me to see Dobie again after more than 50 years. I was 8 when it first aired.

Edit: Yvonne Craig as Dobie's love interest of the week, member of a family of trapeze artists.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2014
    CRM-114 likes this.
  20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

We've covered TV and movies, how about radio? The fifth episode of the 1950 science fiction anthology Dimension X, adapting "Knock" by Fredric Brown (author of the story on which "Arena" was indirectly based), featured Arnold Moss (Karidian/Kodos) in the lead role, playing opposite Joan Alexander, the voice of Lois Lane in the '40s Superman radio series and cartoon shorts.