Opinions on Chakotay & Seven

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Mach5, Jun 11, 2009.

?

Chakotay / Seven pairing gets:

1. Thumbs up!

21 vote(s)
    17.8%
  2. Thumbs down!

97 vote(s)
    82.2%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

First, I wonder exactly how long she had that dampener. Since it was a part of the cortical node--which is not Seven's original node, but belonged to Icheb--her original node might not have had that technology. This would explain how Seven already experienced grief, anger, remorse, guilt, etc. Strong and powerful emotions.

Second, to try and use this directly from 21st century medicine is a bit absurd. After all, in the 24th century, they can replicate new neural tissue, provide IV fluids without an IV set-up, put people into stasis, and seemingly magically treat any and all illnesses (unless something seemingly incurable is required for the plot :lol: ) with just the raising of the arch on the biobed.

They have also been able to cure most psychoses since Kirk's day.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2009
  2. Gorf

Gorf Commander Red Shirt

Hey some of us almost understand Swedish (Danish is pretty close). :cool: Sorry, this was totally taken out of context, but I couldnt help myself. :)

This is my first visit in months and I had to log on to give this couple the thumbs down - that's my opinion on the matter. :)

3. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Don't worry - that's the same sort of random joke I would be tempted to make myself. ;)

4. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Actually that same piece of equipment planted into Chakotay was what enabled them to free Seven from the collective in the first place. Yes, I can see his experience enabling him to have some empathy for Seven's situation (once he got over wanting to toss her out an airlock) but to me a more fatherly/mentorly one than a romantic one.

Given the vast amoung of life experience Chakotay has on Seven it would never be a partnership of equals.

5. teya

It wasn't planted into him. In both cases they were temporary.

Please detail this "vast amount of life experience." Just because he's 50 doesn't mean he's a wise old man. I know plenty of 50 year-old men children.

For one thing, we've got no indication that Chakotay has *ever* been involved in a long-term relationship--with the possible exception of Seska, which doesn't say a whole lot. If we go by Jeri Taylor, he had a worship-type relationship with Sveta similar to the way he viewed Janeway. Not a particularly good track record.

6. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Are you now saying that Chakotay is a good match for Seven because he has Peter Pan Syndrome? :confused:

Look, any idiot who is breathing for 50 years is going to have a vast amount of life experience compared to a person who was assimilated at a young age and has only experienced individuality for a few short years.

Seven needs to date around and have some fun before finally settling down with someone who she has common interests with, imo.

7. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not if you're introverted or done very little with your life.

Plus it's can be said that in his many years, that it's questionable if George W. Bush had any life experances at all to even solve common sense issues. The man didn't have the life experance to know what to do about a locked door after trying to exit a room after making a speech.

8. teya

No. I'm just pointing out that age does not automatically equal maturity in relationships.

And, frankly, I'd hardly call an aging bachelor as suffering from "Peter Pan Syndrome." That's certainly taking it a bit far, don't you think?

Unless you're saying that anyone who prefers the single life to married life is pathological in some way. Interesting premise, I must say.

And I disagree. Just because this is the standard that you find acceptable, doesn't make it the only way to do things.

9. kimc

kimc Coffee Mod Admiral

Yeah, it would be if:
    1) That was what I actually said.
    2) I wasn't single myself ;)

Okay then!

BTW, what is that fuzzy white thing in your avatar? I've been putting off asking but my curiosity is getting the better of me.

10. AuntKate

AuntKate Commodore Commodore

Chakotay's experience with the link in "Unity" is ambivalent at best. While he was healed by the link and enjoyed his intimacy with Riley, he soon found out that he was also their pawn when they used him to regain their control of the other drones against Janeway's orders. Then, when he distracts Seven with the cortical device in "Scorpion," he suffers a great deal of pain when she is severed from the collective.

So, yes, he would have a better understanding of Seven's situation, but not necessarily for the good, and certainly not with any desire to have that kind of connection again. I agree with KimC that he would probably be paternal about this, giving Seven advice based on his own wider experience.

11. teya

It's an English Angora rabbit. Hopefully my next pet.

A working pet. You comb the rabbit--which you have to do daily, since rabbits can't regurgitate furballs--and spin the combings into angora yarn. :)

It also looks like a giant tribble. :lol:

12. exodus

Seriously?:confused:

13. Akiraprise

Akiraprise To Ꝏ & BEYOND! Moderator

Wow, I just assumed it was a photoshop. Interesting. :lol:

14. teya

Seriously. That's where angora yarn comes from.

They love being combed. I've watched spinners spin directly from the rabbit while it sits in their lap.

15. exodus

It looks the head of the Abominable Snowman from those claymation Christmas specials.:lol:

I had no idea angora came from a Rabbit.

16. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

I love to knit and knew angora comes from goats and rabbits but I've never seen an Angora Rabbit. It does look like a tribble. I'm all for it either way!

17. exodus

Yeah, Goats I knew just not rabbits.

18. teya

Mohair comes from angora goats. Angora comes from Angora rabbits. :)

Oooh! Another knitter. :)

19. KimMH

KimMH Drinking your old posts Premium Member

didn't realize the distinction re: the goats vs rabbits. I DON"T do my own spinning - I'm a pokey enough knitter - my son would never get socks or sweaters if I had to card and spin it too! I only know a couple sheep and thier wool goes to a local mill for processing. maybe someday if I have a yard that needs real mowing . . .

I'm mostly dependent on my local yarn shop for most of my wool - so much wool - so little time! I have experimented w/ bamboo and am considering alpaca-looks a little pricey - I may reserve it for a pair of socks for me!

20. Brit

Brit Captain Captain

A better question would be how many have you? In fact do you know the first thing about brain chemistry? Her M/S study was with a professor that was working on the theory that the brain really is a sort of a computer and works like a computer network. One of the case studies she did look at was a male with a brain injury that left him unable to feel any emotion. She said he was a complete and utter airhead, and that his was one of the nicer case studies that she was exposed to.

Brit

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.