Should they have stayed in the Delta Quadrant?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Charles Phipps, Jun 26, 2013.

1. Praetorian

Praetorian Captain Captain

Voyager's return to the Alpha Quadrant could have been made impossible due to heavy Borg presence further ahead, I suppose.

2. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

To the OP's question...no, I don't think so.

Home is home. If people wanted, they could have stayed there on some planet or setup camp somewhere if the species was accommodating, but they didn't want to.

I don't know... I would not view staying someplace in the DQ as "giving up"...definitely not... I just personally think they belonged where they came from. In the Federation, in the Alpha Quadrant.

Just my opinion.

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think if thirty years went by and they were still on the ship trying to get home it would be kind of pathetic. Give it up already, settle, and let Starfleet come to you. Especially since communications can be accessed, and would most likely be improved over time.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

It would have been terrible if they'd locked Voyager in a box somewhere. And you couldn't plausibly make them just give up and settle. You don't take a ship to the other side of the galaxy to just have them sit there.

There's also a difference between being reasonably careful with unknown aliens and avoiding them completely. The whole idea of Star Trek is that they willingly face risk in order to explore the unknown. They know their curiosity could screw them and they accept and embrace it.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't mean, and show us them all settled as tv. I mean IRL so to speak.

6. Captain Kathryn

Captain Kathryn Commodore Commodore

Ok, maybe if 30 years went by and communication with Starfleet was still readily accessible and Voyager was experiencing extreme wear and tear to the point where it just needed to stop...then maybe sit back and let Starfleet come get them.

But for the SHOW...nah.

Also, knowing Janeway...she would have viewed herself as such a fail if they were forced to settle on a planet in the DQ and wait for rescue like a lost puppy. She blamed herself for them being stranded and truly had a desire to make up for it and get everybody home and back with their families.