The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by jefferiestubes8, May 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GalaxyX

GalaxyX Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Hah hah suckers.

2. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Overall, I like the new CG shot better: great attention to details from the original model/shot (as usual), the lighting looks great, you can even make out details in some of the windows! My only complaints are that the deflector and the area right around it has a few tells that it's CG (especially the lighting), and, as stated before, the lost details of the docking clamps (or whatever they're called). Oh and what's up with the squiggly warp star to the right of the stardrive section?

3. Dick_Valentine

Dick_Valentine Commander Red Shirt

Really?

Of all the slightly off looking Enterprises so far, this is easily my favourite shot yet:

Maybe its because I came to the show when it was in its later series, but to me this is how the Big D should look...

Has anyone seen a shot of the phasers firing, btw?
    Have they kept in the little charging pulse before it fires as that effect seemed intermittent over the course of the series
    (depending on which FX team was handling that weeks episode IIRC, before Voyager dropped the idea completely in its later years...)

4. GalaxyX

I just hope they fixed the hand phaser shots so that they are instantaneous, like a light beam should be, instead of the ridiculous slow "piss" beams they had.

Enterprise had the best phaser FX. I'm hopeful TNG does the same or better.

5. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

One thing I really don't like about the new CGI model is that it is much wider than the original 6 footer at the base of the neck. I could see that in the Enterprise vs BoP shot as well. The proportions are quite wrong. It would be nice if Tobias Richter, or whoever made the model, could fix that and have the shot re-rendered before the full season set comes out.

6. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

They’d have to do some significant re-editing. In Conspiracy, for example, Admiral Aaron fires his phaser, and Picard and Riker jump out of the way after he shoots but before the beam reaches them.

It’s okay, because Wink of an Eye had already established that phaser beams travel very, very slowly compared to sound. :p

7. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Well there are too many shots of characters in TNG ducking out of the way to make the beam TOO instantaneous (most notably at the end of Conspiracy).

But I do hope they thin the beams down a bit (although not as much as on ENT, which were a little too pencil-thin for my taste).

edit: Oops, someone beat me to it. :p

8. GalaxyX

With a bit of editing, you could show Picard and Riker jumping out of the way before the Admiral fires.

Realistically? I fear you are right, they will probably stick to the "slow as a paintball" phaser beam :(

9. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Oh come on George, now we know it's you.

10. GalaxyX

While your comment made me burst out loud laughing, I guess I'm in the minority when I say that the original Star Wars trilogy came out great despite George's "vision", and that the new re-enhanced versions are actually closer to his original vision, despite not being to other people's standards. AND I think what the trilogy gained from the reimagining far outweight the little bit lost in certain parts, like Han shooting first.

I proudly have the Blue-Ray set and watch it regularly (I did loathe the added Jabba scenes in "A New Hope", and the "Noooooooo!!!!" from Darth Vader in ROTJ, but I'll take them if I get to see more Millenium Falcon and more Cloud City)

11. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Why stop there? There shouldn't even be a visible beam. Let's edit them all out.

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Bullshit.
    http://www.scifi-meshes.com/forums/...USS-Enterprise&p=534368&viewfull=1#post534368

13. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting...the torpedo tube looks differently shaped also. Differently lit windows and as mentioned before, one vs. two windows just above the docking port. If it's a CGI model, it looks very well done to me. It looks like there's real depth to the model - lifeboats, transporter emitters, the ring around the captain's yacht.

Some other shots of the model...if those damage spots are visible on screen, then I'm going to have to opt for CG replacement when possible.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  14. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

I like the new shot. Very faithful to the original. So far, the CGI we've has impressed me, whereas TOS's new CGI looks to me like scenes from Star Trek video game.
    ???
    Even funnier was when they'd stop firing, and the light beam would travel backwards back into the hand phaser emitter.

15. trekker670

From the Sci-Fi Meshes Forum:

Another reason not to assume the CG model is Richter's until we get confirmation from Tobias Richter and/or the production team.

That said, however, looking at some of his renders, the similarities are striking. The shape of the torpedo bay, the window details, etc. There are also many differences, though. I'd be interested in hearing confirmation either way.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2012
  16. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Frankly I think teh CGI on that one looks superior. While I love models, and generally prefer them, especially when they take the time to create great models, take the time to layout the shots, and the time to expertly light them. But this was a TV pilot meaning models done for films are going to be generally done for better, and certainly expert CGI work can surpass what was done for tv.

Of course I am not saying this is expert CGI, but clearly the model work done at the time (and in the time frame) by the lower tier group of ILM isn't the best model work that could have been done. Let alone when the actual week to week filming starts up, and certainly before they expand their filming personal, to even try and keep up with the weekly grind.

For example I hated watching Generations with the reused footage because in relation to the other model work with the 6 footer it didn't hold up. And thats with budget use of ILM, as Trek rarely gets ILM's A team to work with.

17. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Nice!

Other 'quick ID' methods you can also use are: the secondary shuttlebays (light bleed = model) the saucer impulse engines (lit = CG) or the windows near the back of the neck. (The model has them right up to and across the corner, on the CG one the windows stop well before. See below.)

[​IMG]

18. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

I think it's also pretty telling that Tobias is also working on Excelsior, Stargazer, and Reliant meshes. All started in the last 6 months.

19. NewHorizon

NewHorizon Captain Captain

I don't think so.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.ne...5212520788_644095787_22834546_805149364_n.jpg

It's a great model, but if those ortho views are supposed to demonstrate how accurate it is, then it's not as accurate as it should be...especially with photos of the 6 foot model posted in the early pages of that forum thread.

Anyway, all I was saying is that the neck is thicker than the 6 footer in the original shot, and it is.

I have overlaid the original 6 footer in the link I posted.

The 6 footer is tinted red, the orthos of Tobias's ship are tinted green. In the side view, do you see how much further the back of the neck sticks out?

I'm really hoping those orthos are not accurate because the saucer is way off if they are.

That's not a slam against Tobias. The D is a tough ship to model.

CBS should have tracked down the buyer and paid him to let them make 3D scans of the bloody thing.

20. trekker670

IIRC, they scanned them all before they sold them. I though I heard/read that somewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.