Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old May 9 2014, 02:32 PM   #1
Froissart
Ensign

The next Trek T.V show.

Hello folks i am new to this site but i'am a long time trek fan as i would guess are most of you.For me its been way to long since we had some Trek on the air.So this got me thinking,"Why no trek"????Hummmmmmmmm,well folks it all boils down to 1 thing,and yes its the same thing that everything boils down to...MONEY.The equation is quite simple, Cost of production+viewers+sponsors=MONEY
Good now thats out of the way lets look at how we can fix this, this to is very simple, but first we need to look at the biggest part of the equation.. The viewers, The one thing i learned about trek fan is that what we want to see is very diverse ,some want classic trek some want TNG while others want Enterprise or Voyager,future,past bla bla bla you get my point.This can be extreme to the point where a Trek fan will not watch a show because its not what he/she want from trek i know people who have done this,and yep there goes the main part of the equation ..just look at Enterprise(a great trek show in my mind)but a few bad eps and not being what everyone wanted = FLUSH.

Chapter 2 Fixing the problem

Fixing the problem
Well here comes my favorite part ,How do we fix this you ask??Well we have to look at What made Star Trek what it is today ,and that would be TOS ,if not for TOS we wouldnt have any of it. What TOS did was it captured the imagination ,every week would be a new adventure something different all the time ,no story arc (but i love story arc's)just stories we all loved.So how do we bring back what made Star Trek great in the first place and at the same time give everyone(The fans,the people who spend money to make the show) exactly what they want?,Easy Star Fleet Chronicles ,What is SFC?Well SFC is a show that can save a lot of money in production while at the same time give every trek fan what they want.SFC would chronicle the events of star fleet from day 1 to well when ever we want,each week we would get a diff show,a different crew(save $$$ on actors)a diff time and place,(Years of trek footage to use)save more$$.after awhile we may see some of these crews again(im sure there will be favs)in story arcs(WOOOHOOO)that may span 100's of years.This would make the show very diverse,just imagine..Next week on SFC 2367 USS Yamaguchi Wolf 359.(use of old stock footage..save$$$)a simple story of a ship and her crew in her last days.(would love to see it)We just got to step out of the box,Enterprise wasnt the only ship that had adventures.Hell how about stardate 3045.6 the brave people of Cestus III Outpost ,the hopless fight to stay alive.You get my point ,(I bet just the people here on this site could come up with 100’s of ideas alone) there are so many ships,places,times,dimentions,people,that the story ideas are endless,i see Star Trek fan fiction everywhere that would fit right in with SFC(alot of stories already done)an increase of employment for actors by using a different crew each week and it would be cost effective for the production company,i also hear alot of the old sets are still around(reuse save$$ again),i also see a few small companies making there own episodes for little or nothing and doing (In my opinion) a damn good job.rent sets from these guys and save$$$ and help them by doing so.the Possibilities are endless,I hope some smart business person out there see's this and can realize the potential. Well folks just an idea I had.
Froissart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 06:03 PM   #2
T'Girl
Vice Admiral

Re: The next Trek T.V show.

(paragraphs are your friend)
T'Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9 2014, 07:50 PM   #3
BillJ
Admiral

View BillJ's Twitter Profile

You'd go broke building new sets every week for a Trek anthology show.
Old May 9 2014, 08:45 PM   #4
Froissart
Ensign

There are still alot of sets still out there that they can buy back or even rent,just google it and you will be surprised at what is still around.Im sure this will never happen it was just some wishfull thinking is all.
Froissart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 01:24 AM   #5
wtriker1701
Lieutenant

Froissart wrote: View Post
There are still alot of sets still out there that they can buy back or even rent,just google it and you will be surprised at what is still around.Im sure this will never happen it was just some wishfull thinking is all.
Very wishful thinking, I might add.
Besides, a TV show would always relay on a little cohesion, which I don't recognize here at all. It does not neccesarily have to include a story arc, but a recurring cast might help every TV show - at least it has in the past. I believe. That doesn't seem to be any concern of your's if I'm reading/interpreting your post correctly...
wtriker1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 07:14 AM   #6
CRM-114
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Does anyone even know what the last successful anthology series was? It seems like it's been a while. If there's nothing recent to suggest the format is viable (i.e. It would get good ratings), a network would be gunshy to launch such a series.

Also, reiterating the point others have made, anthology series are expensive to produce.
CRM-114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10 2014, 10:11 PM   #7
MacLeod
Admiral

Sure an anthology show could work, as for sets you could build a modular bridge that you could change around so it would look slighlty different.

But that really wasn't Star Trek's problem, I would say :

It had started to play it a little too safe, when other shows at the time were taking risks.

It relied too much on the anamoly of the week.

Inane technobabble.

There might have been a certain amount of fatigue from producing so much.

Studio interferance (not that all studio interferance is bad)

Inconsistant characterisation

Poor continuity

Rehashing story themes

There is a lot to fix, but all I want is consistant characterisation, characters who grow, engaging stories that don't overly rely on technobabble solutions.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
MacLeod is online now   Reply With Quote